Guitar/Music Discussions Lacking?

Lavallee

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:06 pm

As Ric mentioned there are 20000 peoples registered and only a small percentage participating in the forum.

Why not make a quick poll from TG by everybody PM to ask what we like about the site and ask what what people think about the forum: what would they like to see, what they do not like,etc.. Since some peoples do not like to put their opinion in front of everybody (forum)that migth be their chance to speak, sort of speak ( the benefit of not having english as your first language, you can make phrases the way you want or create new words and always have an excuse ;) ).

I do this with my customers and it is surprising the feedback you get when you are not afraid to ask what needs to be improved and what should fade away. From the poll you should expect 20% return but that is more than the percentage of people on the forum

Marc

BRBbrb

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:39 pm

I agree! Music theory discussions are boring & few can contribute. TG is different; it has 2 facets, serious learning & fun! I suggest instead of having a "TOP MEMBERS" section just randomize it; so it's not the same 5 every time. Like on MySpace they have "TOP FRIENDS"; which can create problems amongst kids.

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:49 pm

BRBbrb wrote:
I agree! Music theory discussions are boring & few can contribute. TG is different; it has 2 facets, serious learning & fun! I suggest instead of having a "TOP MEMBERS" section just randomize it; so it's not the same 5 every time. Like on MySpace they have "TOP FRIENDS"; which can create problems amongst kids.
Theory as stand alone can be boring for any topic, what is required is to follow Adult Education Principles i.e. Theory followed by Demonstration of Theory and then Practical Exercises of the Theory, this is the learning concept expounded by the World leading authority on adult education, Malcolm Knowles.

BRBbrb

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:51 pm

OK - me getting hungry for coookies! Yeah no harm, I guess, just don't want to look like we're the only ones having fun around here! At least we're not trashing hotel room. LOL

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:56 pm

BRBbrb wrote:
OK - me getting hungry for coookies! Yeah no harm, I guess, just don't want to look like we're the only ones having fun around here! At least we're not trashing hotel room. LOL
Trouble with Room trashing on the Forums is they are our own rooms!!

haoli25

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Go to your room! Both of you. :laugh:

BRBbrb

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Fine; can I bring my pc?

Music Junkie

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
BRBbrb wrote:
Theory as stand alone can be boring for any topic, what is required is to follow Adult Education Principles i.e. Theory followed by Demonstration of Theory and then Practical Exercises of the Theory, this is the learning concept expounded by the World leading authority on adult education, Malcolm Knowles.
I like that process. Too bad we did not have a big enough collection of knowledge at this point to allow someone to ask a question and then be able to get a video response with all of those aspects....

I suppose in time we could build up a database. I know that we have the capabilities to upload our own clips, so as those start gaining use, I think it would really help a lot of people that need a more visual lesson. I for one like the visuals better. That is part of what brought me here in the first place. Neils lesson's really break down nicely and let you SEE how to do it.

I think theory is fascinating, but really want to know how to apply it and maybe eventually write my own songs, or get that much better at transcription. So, for now, I'll take boring as long as it is quality boring.....

Thanks everyone!

MJ

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
[

I think theory is fascinating, but really want to know how to apply it and maybe eventually write my own songs, or get that much better at transcription. So, for now, I'll take boring as long as it is quality boring.....

Thanks everyone!

MJ[/quote]

You have just said what you want and it follows the outlined basic principle, In any Theory discussion members should be encouraged to also post a demo (or request Neil to do so) then provide exercises or example songs which incorporate that bit of theory. The most crucial bits are the demo and practical but the theory is the foundation from which to add to your framework

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 am

Theory for theory sake is just... theory. When it really comes alive is when you use it to help figure out how to play your favorite song. Or when you apply its principles to help write a song.

For me, it helps me to understand why things happen. It supplied the knowledge to know what chords to look for next when trying to figure out a song.

I had run out of ideas for new songs and felt frustrated about not knowing what to do. Learning some theory helped me explore some avenues I had not known existed before.

We are all guitar players so for us learning theory should be to help improve some facet of our guitar playing. But, it also should help us come to a better musical understanding. When we learn something new in theory we should look for how it can improve us as guitar players and musicians.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic