Guitar/Music Discussions Lacking?

BigBear

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:45 pm

BRBbrb wrote:
May I add: those of us who have become muppets are the older site members so our karma has been quite built up from age alone. Therefore we are listed in the "Top Members" section on the homepage; as I recall, 3 out of 5 of us are muppets. To a newcomer it looks like, as Matt said, a clique. That is not our intention; it's just we have become like family here! I understand the concern & will switch my pic back to my ugly mug - it was fun tho :)
Barb- I don't think Matt asked us to do that. We're off-topic and not hurting anyone. When the whole Muppet thing/ Bear jokes get more hits than music theory it says something about what the heavily involved members are looking far.

Please go back to your old avatar! Please! :lol:

haoli25

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:32 am

Since none of us know how many times a thread was VIEWED, it is impossible for us to compare one thread (or Topic) against another. Just because one thread has 20 replies and another has only 2, that doesn't mean one is more important than the other.
I do read most of the posts in the Forum. I don't always comment because sometimes I have nothing to add, sometimes I just don't have the time to comment (work or other distractions), and sometimes I just forget to comment. (Yep, I'm OLD!) I have a feeling I am not alone in reading the topics and not always posting a comment.

Sometimes at work, I close the door to my office, tell the receptionist to put me on IGNORE for about an 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, and then I log in to TG. During those times, I often review one of Neil's lessons, other times I check in to the Forum just to see what's new, and sometimes just to read BEAR JOKES or some other 'Off Topic' info. I don't plan to change this routine. It's MY break.

I find it very interesting that an international cast of players, of varied backgrounds, ages, playing ability, and experience, come together in the Forum and share their useful info, problems, and more than a few laughs. To me, this is what is very RIGHT about the TG Forum and I hope it does not change.

As a "Non-Muppet", I will say in defense of the "TG Muppets" they are also the very people that do the most to encourage new TG members to become TARGET members. That should count for something. IMHO

Bill

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:52 am

BigBear wrote:
BRBbrb wrote:
May I add: those of us who have become muppets are the older site members so our karma has been quite built up from age alone. Therefore we are listed in the "Top Members" section on the homepage; as I recall, 3 out of 5 of us are muppets. To a newcomer it looks like, as Matt said, a clique. That is not our intention; it's just we have become like family here! I understand the concern & will switch my pic back to my ugly mug - it was fun tho :)
Barb- I don't think Matt asked us to do that. We're off-topic and not hurting anyone. When the whole Muppet thing/ Bear jokes get more hits than music theory it says something about what the heavily involved members are looking far.

Please go back to your old avatar! Please! :lol:
Careful Bear you saying Barb looks better as Cookie Monster lol. BUt youre right mate its off topic so whats the harm..

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks for all the great input. I knew this would stir up some great replies.

Don't get me wrong I love the friendly atmosphere of this site and forum. It's what gets me coming here several times a day.

My thought though was why do the music related discussions, not only questions, seem to fizzle and die so quickly when the non-musical threads go on and on? Are we all so overwhelmed with Neil's lessons that we need a break from the guitar and music in general and the camaraderie of the forum provides that?

If I'm gone for a day or two when I check the recent discussions on the forum all of the non-music topics have bubbled to the top (because they are so active) and the music related ones are on page 2 because no one seems to participate in them. That's my whole point, why aren't we participating more in the music related topics (me included)?

I would encourage everyone to participate in the forum discussions. There are over 20,000 members on this site yet only a hand full of people seem to participate in the forum discussions.

That's my rant. Thanks to everyone who has replied. I hope I haven't stepped on any toes.

Ric

Lavallee

Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:44 am

Ric, I think that the music related questions are normally quite specific. So when an answer or two are given (you guys beeing very good with the answers), the thread dies because the answer is cornered. The non music questions are somewhat vague without looking for a specific answer so everybody can put his grain of salt on the topic or on a previous post of that topic.

So I do not think that the music threads are not as popular because there are a lot of them but when the question is 1 + 1 equals what (musically speaking) and 2 comes out, then that's it.

That is where the FAQ would be useful as one could have a larger picture of his type of question thus starting a discussion rather than a question

Marc

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Ric, I think that the music related questions are normally quite specific. So when an answer or two are given (you guys beeing very good with the answers), the thread dies because the answer is cornered. The non music questions are somewhat vague without looking for a specific answer so everybody can put his grain of salt on the topic or on a previous post of that topic.

So I do not think that the music threads are not as popular because there are a lot of them but when the question is 1 + 1 equals what (musically speaking) and 2 comes out, then that's it.

That is where the FAQ would be useful as one could have a larger picture of his type of question thus starting a discussion rather than a question

Marc
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding Marc. I wanted to say I think the FAQ is a great idea and I would be happy to help out with it in any way I can.

"So I do not think that the music threads are not as popular because there are a lot of them but when the question is 1 + 1 equals what (musically speaking) and 2 comes out, then that's it."

Is it? My feeling has always been that music isn't 1+1=2 and that's the end of it let's move on. I have been in bands and part of song writing teams and when we are discussing how a song should be played, what chords to use and why, how the lyrics should come in, etc. the discussions can go on and on. Answering a question should raise more questions or perhaps differing view points or ideas.

Part of what I'm saying is that it seems like the musical discussions and questions are a distraction, lets answer them and move on as quickly as possible.

To be honest, I was on another guitar site and there was a discussion on their forum about this site. The general feeling was that the forum here was more social and less musical. Is that ok? I don't know, I'm just raising the question for consideration.

Ric

Lavallee

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:01 pm

I agree with you Ric that music is more than 1+1=2. However, I must say that when someones gives an answer on a musical question, I do not have anough knowledge to go deepeer in the thought or to dispute it. Maybe some you of guys that have more experience in music should be labelled on your avatar by TG as something like GO in club Meds. This would mean that , besides your own threads and posts, you could jump in to move the discussion a little deeper or wider, raised other questions on the subject. People would know that since you would be labelled as such, your interventions are not there to judge but to open new horizons to the thread . This not to be police but guides.

Marc

BigBear

Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:18 pm

rcsnydley wrote:
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding Marc. I wanted to say I think the FAQ is a great idea and I would be happy to help out with it in any way I can.

To be honest, I was on another guitar site and there was a discussion on their forum about this site. The general feeling was that the forum here was more social and less musical. Is that ok? I don't know, I'm just raising the question for consideration.

Ric
Thanks for your offer Ric! Thread started. Please add your thoughts!

I've been on many other guitar forums, probably the same ones you guys are on, and I haven't found a single one that held my interest. They tend to be painfully dry and populated by a bunch of know-it-all a....les!!

So yes, I will take this forum, with it's blend of knowledge and fun, over any other guitar forum I've been on! I do belong to a concealed handgun carry forum that's pretty fun too! You should see the graveyard humor on that one! LOL!! :lol:

rcsnydley

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

BigBear wrote:
rcsnydley wrote:

Ric
I've been on many other guitar forums, probably the same ones you guys are on, and I haven't found a single one that held my interest. They tend to be painfully dry and populated by a bunch of know-it-all a....les!!
I hear you Rick, that is why I spend 95% of my time on this site and this forum. I don't want this forum to change. I would just like to see more music discussions, not just questions (though questions are most welcome) to kind of balance out the non-music discussions.

For my part, I'm going to be trying to come up with some topics that I hope will be interesting to the members, for you see I'm part of the problem too. So I need to take responsibility also.

Please, everybody don't change this is like getting together with your best buds (mates for you chas) and talking about your interest and favorite hobby, guitars and music.

Ric

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi All, I for one would like some discussions going with music theory and music topics, as theory is an area where I have a lot to learn yet. At the same time I like the way this site has evolved and developed into a real friendly place, where we have a lot of like minded people who have a similar approach to guitar and learning songs and music. Most I believe do not aspire to be the next Eric Clapton or Tommy Emmanuelle but we do want to improve at the same time as enjoying ourselves. And possibly the level most of us are at, really in depth music discussions might just be beyond current ability, doesn't mean we are not interested just that we can't add to them. I think a guage is not the Recent Discussions tab which throws up the most used and active threads but if you look at number of views that might be a better way to see how many read the music posts and not necessarily add to them. SO A tab like the Recent Discussions but for most views might throw up a different set of discusions and also at the same time help with creating FAQ's

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic