Guitar Body Styles

goldleaf

Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:27 pm

MJ, those are pretty good ones. I'm going to need one SOON!! I just bought a Guild, Willy Porter Signature Series, today.. It is a line of acoustic/electronic w/florentine cutaway produced by Guild in Tacoma WA in 2007. The Willy Porter Lists for $3,299 but since they are no longer in production they are selling through wholesalers. It's MINT but has "used" stamped on the back of the head stock so it can't be sold as new w/factory warranty. I got it for less than half list. It has AAA spruce top, flamed maple sides and back, madagascar rosewood fretboard and bridge. It comes with a deluxe case, 2 bone bridges, one for normal tuning and one for alternate tuning, and a pick guard in the case, I guess it's a peel and stick on. The electronics have an under the bridge strip and a mic also. Super nice inlay around the edge and ivarone(sp) binding. I know a wholesaler and I just couldn't pass it up. Haven't told the boss yet. It will arive early next week, I'll just wait for the right time. Wish me luck. Gary

AndyT

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:38 am

Needing an excuse. Hmmm... Not to be picky, but isn't that almost the same as telling a lie?

I tell my wife what I'm looking at and we discuss it. I have a special jar I put all my loose change and a few extra dollars every week into and I can use it for whatever I want. She has one also. This way I never need an excuse for why I bought something as long as it comes out of my jar.

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:59 am

AndyT wrote:
Needing an excuse. Hmmm... Not to be picky, but isn't that almost the same as telling a lie?

I tell my wife what I'm looking at and we discuss it. I have a special jar I put all my loose change and a few extra dollars every week into and I can use it for whatever I want. She has one also. This way I never need an excuse for why I bought something as long as it comes out of my jar.
You are being picky lol, I like to think the guys are spinning a yarn really. Good way to save though Andy.

Although I said what brand guitar I would drool at i didnt mention the style, its a Cole Clark Grand Auditorium Cutaway with Electrics, Bunya top, Back and Side Blackwood, binding Maple, Neck Queensland Maple, and fretboard Rosewood, $2499NZ, just noted my Cole Clark has gone up $300 in less than a year

Catman

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:40 am

AndyT wrote:
No, I don't think so. It's not so much as "as needing an excuse" as it is providing justification. Every justification has its pros and cons. "I want it" is a perfectly good justification if you have the financial resources, but it won't be enough if you are in debt.

My wife is accustomed to me spending a lot of money on my hobbies (music and mountain-biking are both expensive if you want to progress beyond the entry-level equipment), but since we can afford it it is OK. But the discussion must take place before the purchase if you are in a committed relationship--that is just common courtesy.

David

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:42 am

Catman wrote:
AndyT wrote:
But the discussion must take place before the purchase if you are in a committed relationship--that is just common courtesy.

David
Excellent point and one which my wife and I swear by, karma to you

wrench

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:45 pm

gingold,

??? looks like a challenge to explain my statement that better sounding guitars have longer scales.

Well, mostly, at least for guitars I would consider for my first upgrade from beginner. I looked at Yamaha quite a bit because my first guitar is an FG700S, and I like it quite well. Yamaha uses a 25.59" scale on all of their guitars with solid tops, including all of the FG and L series. They have a 25" scale, but only on guitars that have laminate tops. These include the F325, F335, F345, FX325, FX335, APX500, and CPX500. The only short scale Epiphone is the EL-00 at 24.75"; all full size bodied Epiphones are 25.5". Taylor makes a bunch of models, but everyone I looked at was 25.5".

I wouldn't be surprised if there are some excellent instruments with shorter scales, but my search intentionally excluded instruments too far beyond my skill level.

I really might give Seagull another look. I only got to see their Entourage and Original series, and Ric's comments about his Maritime encourage me.

wrench

cabro

Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Wrench,

As an owner of a 24.9" scale guitar I believe that a well-made short scale guitar will sound better than a cheaper longer-scale guitar. Longer scales may have slightly more sustain and projection (read: volume) but tonally there is no difference. And, as a guitarist with not the longest fingers in the world, a shorter scale enables me to make stretches that would be more difficult on a longer scale guitar--thus improving the sound for me and anyone else within earshot. :laugh:

Thanks for clarifying!

wrench

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:00 pm

gingold,

I knew someone out there could fill in some blanks on this one, and I agree that an instrument could sound good with a short scale. I just didn't encounter any in my skill level / price range.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess your 24.9" scale is not on a guitar found at a retail store for under $500?

thanks,
wrench

goldleaf

Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:34 pm

Catman, I agree with you 100% on the prediscussion as a matter of courtesy for one you care about. I have actually had a discussion with my other half about using some of the funds I have that are my account for investing, i.e. stock, options which I do occasionally. We agreed that as an investment that was my decision to make. I don't think she was ready to see 2 additional guitars is 2 months and the 3rd on the way. I explained my latest purchase later that evening and it actually was not an issue. I think due to just what you said, having an agreement in advance, although space is now starting to become an issue. Gary

goldleaf

Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:25 am

Andy, I see how you could look at an "excuse" as a "lie". I personally think that may be a little harsh as I view lying to a person you care about as something that would cause me to have less respect for that individual. I think the word "excuse" is one that could be meant and interpreted differently by each person. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic