Guitar Body Styles

BigBear

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:31 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Catman wrote:
I'll be at the largest music store in the country in a couple of weeks, and I intend to drive the salespeople crazy fetching me guitars down from the upper racks where they keep the expensive ones.

David
David, Like you I will be in a 'Candy store' the largest Acoustic Guitar store in NZ in a couple of weeks, unfortunately no managerial approval, but I can certainly enjoy the time and dream. I'd be looking at a higher end Cole Clark than the one I have drool if finances radically change between now and then..

Hey, who wears the pants in your family!! :lol:

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:40 am

BigBear wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Catman wrote:

Hey, who wears the pants in your family!! :lol:
The Bank Manager :(

BigBear

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:45 am

AndyT wrote:
My Takamine is a dread no cut-away, no electronics. I love it and the sound, but I have been considering having electronics installed. I'm scared its going to destroy the sound and that is the only real reason I have not had it done yet.

Andy- I was at a Tingstad & Rumpel concert a few months back at a very small music shop in Portland. On a break I commented to Eric Tingstad that I really liked the way his guitar sounded (a small bodied Martin). I asked how it was set up. He said it had a K&K pickup system and that he swore by them. He's tried them all.

I'd never heard of K&K but here is a Grammy award winning guitarist giving me some great inside info. As it turns out, K&K is made in a small logging town on the Oregon coast called Coos Bay.

The beauty of their system is the pickup is glued to the underside of the bridge with some kind of special glue. The only alterations to your guitar is the small hole at the end pin. You can easily pull it out and reuse it if get rid of the guitar.

I've done a lot of research on this pickup and the reviews are off the chart. It really picks up the sound of the guitar and not just the vibrations of the bridge. I'm going to have a K&K installed on my Taylor 12 string hopefully within the month. BTW- Gingold (Greg) has one of these pickups in his guitar and said he loved it!

Here's the link: http://www.kksound.com/index.html

Cheers! Rick

Guitarmom

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 am

haoli25 wrote:
I hate to put you on the spot Rev. Kate, (hint, hint) but I
wish you would post a video of one of your performances.

Haoli25,

I haven't posted anything to date... anywhere. My playing today is at church on Sunday or in hospitals and nursing homes. Not a big video opp. 0:)

However, I'll see if one of my friends will come over to the house and make a video of me playing and singing.

Rev Kate

Music Junkie

Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:54 am

wrench wrote:
* Better sounding / higher quality guitars have longer scale lengths
???

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:41 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Catman wrote:
I'll be at the largest music store in the country in a couple of weeks, and I intend to drive the salespeople crazy fetching me guitars down from the upper racks where they keep the expensive ones.

David
David, Like you I will be in a 'Candy store' the largest Acoustic Guitar store in NZ in a couple of weeks, unfortunately no managerial approval, but I can certainly enjoy the time and dream. I'd be looking at a higher end Cole Clark than the one I have drool if finances radically change between now and then..
Whenever I am up in the largest city here in Vermont I stop by the music store and camp out in the acoustic guitar room. I go there often enough that they are used to me, and I also bought two guitars from them. They pretty much let me play what I want and hang out as long as "The Bank Manager" will allow.LOL

She is always suspicious when I go there and watches the bank book closely for a few days afterward.:)

Ric

goldleaf

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Andy & Chas & RC & others, sounds like we need a Forum on "Excuses why a guitar player needs 3,4 or more guitars to get approval from the "Bank Manager" I mentioned this on page 2 of this Forum with suggestions from my Luthier, seems like a real common issue, I know it is for me. Back to guitars. I'm hearing Breedlove mentioned in with the Taylor, Martin, Cole Clark, not so much the Larravee. Still gathering opinions on a small body single cutaway Spruce top Flamed Maple or Rosewood S&B $2 - 3K. Not hearing as much about Martin?? Gary

quincy451

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Getting Bank Manager approval can be a study in and of itself. Me I use the trade-off method. You can have your xxx if I can have my xxx guitar. So she got here SLR digital camera. (electronics is always dropping in price). And I have a green light for just about any guitar I want. Now just waiting for the money to show up.

My current pick...a Cordoba C5-CE. Saw one on youtube and the guitar sounded great. The kid playing it played like a klidesdale. But the guitar sounded good even amped.

goldleaf

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Quince, I looked up the Cordoba line (beautiful guitars). Do they make any steel string acoustics, everything I saw way classical nylon string?? Gary

Music Junkie

Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 pm

goldleaf wrote:
MJ, Thats what I hope to get someday soon, a 000 OM size Martin or Taylor or Larrivee or Cole Clark. I don't know if they all make the 000 OM size.
A little off the point. How bout a forum "excuses why a guitar player needs at least 3 or 4 guitars, maybe more). My luthier told me he used "need different guitars for different tunings and it worked him? Seems to be a real common issue. Gary
I really enjoy the 000 size. It is not too big, but can give me some darn good sound. Plus, I am rather partial to the sound of Mahogany. I am not too sure about the other brands, as i rarely ever get to see or test any of them. Being lefty really cuts down my options drastically. I think if you find what you are lookinf for, you will not regret the purchase.

I was gonna say the alternate tunings thing..... The only other reasonable excuse I could think of would be for tone. I need Mahogany for this, spruce for that, solid body, hollow body, etc., etc. Doubt it will ever work though.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic