Guitar Body Styles

AndyT

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Gary,
Yes, the entire rest of my life is now spoken for.

Chris,
Well, Ok, but I'll have to charge you some serious money. Airfare to and from the Alps is not cheap.

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Wow, what happened to the original subject of this thread? This seems to happen a lot on this site. It's neat that everyone is friendly and conversational here but I find myself going to other sites (non-instructional ones b/c I'm not interested in lessons) for more in-depth and thorough dialog.

AndyT

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:24 pm

So how much more in depth do you want to go on the body style of guitars? We have no problem going deeper, just give us a direction.

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:40 pm

I think at the end of the day,the genre of music points many in the direction of style of guitar, plus another factor is what they can afford, sometimes a compromise is needed to gain quality over style eg I'd like a Cole Clark Grand Auditorium but it was about $1500NZ more than I could afford so went for a Cole Dreadnaught instead still top end but not as expensive

goldleaf

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:43 pm

New topic - Out of production guitars, I was reading the Guitar Blue book yesterday about Tacoma guitars. It had a statement re: general info that Fender Co. bought out Tacoma guitars (2005 -06)for it's facility (saw mill, guitar manufacturing) in Tacoma WA so it could move Guild from Calif. into the Tacoma facility to produce its acoustic/electric "Contemporary Series". Tacoma still produces the Chief and Pappose with the odd sound hole in the upper part of the top but stopped making the popular models with the normal sound hole placement. Guild moved to Tacoma for part of 2007 where it produced the Contemporary Series for ?? months, then moved on to Hartford Conn in early 2008 (no more cont. series) only the GAD models made in China.. Interesting (to me) info for the Blue Book to mention that sort of detail. Any Tacoma guitar owners out there. Seems like Fender sees a acoustic/elect. starting to become popular and buys them out and deep 6's the model that was the best, also made in USA. Gary

BigBear

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
I think at the end of the day,the genre of music points many in the direction of style of guitar, plus another factor is what they can afford, sometimes a compromise is needed to gain quality over style eg I'd like a Cole Clark Grand Auditorium but it was about $1500NZ more than I could afford so went for a Cole Dreadnaught instead still top end but not as expensive
Why on earth would Cole charge $1500 more for a guitar with a cutaway! That's highway robbery! Did I misunderstand your post? For example, Taylor upcharges $300 for a Grand Auditorium over a Dreadnaught which sounds about right on a $4,000 guitar.

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:50 pm

BigBear wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Why on earth would Cole charge $1500 more for a guitar with a cutaway! That's highway robbery! Did I misunderstand your post? For example, Taylor upcharges $300 for a Grand Auditorium over a Dreadnaught which sounds about right on a $4,000 guitar.
The Cole Clark GA I was looking at was the top end of the top end, better quality woods etc

wrench

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:51 pm

gingold wrote:

Wrench,

LOL, no my guitar was a bit more than $500. My Dad had to die for me to afford it though.

Greg[/quote]

Greg,

Then that, my friend, is an instrument for which dollars have no meaning.

wrench

AndyT

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:03 am

Greg,
I expect you will never part with that one then.

dustystrings

Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:57 am

Andy--Probably not. I actually didn't have a great relationship with my Dad so, in a way, I look at the guitar more as a form of payment for a sh@%#y childhood.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic