Right or Wrong?

AndyT

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:36 am

I think Neil was the one who mentioned this;

What do you consider the 'right' way to play a song? Does it have to match the original perfectly to be correct? Or should it be technically correct but still be played differently? Which is right and which is wrong and WHY?

Please post what YOU think, don't just assume someone elses idea is correct.

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:03 am

Wow Andy what have you started lol

Well if you define 'right way' in accordance with the Oxford English dictionary or if you prefer The New Oxford American Dictionary or even Websters dictionary, the song must be an exact replica of the original.

Now you have the dilemna of what is the original considering many artists never play it the same twice.

For example i have been off sick today and used my time playing From the Beginning, now i started with TARGET then looked at guitar pro version then I looked at Greg lake live you tube videos (three of them) and several good covers and several not so good ones! I even saw a Bossa Nova version. What I have ended up with is a cross between Neil's and the Greg Lake versions interspersed with the guitar pro. For instance the muting of the strings is mostly a palm mute by Greg Lake not a left hand dampen , although he at times doesn't at all but lightly brushes the string.

So I guess I am playing it technically correct but differently, certainly to TG version, but it sounds correct with at least one of Greg lakes videos.

If you want to play a certain version e.g. Greg Lakes Budapest Concert in 1997 and do so, then it must be the right way and be technically correct.

So Andy their is no right way unless following a specific version and play it exactly the same and also let it be known that is the version you are playing.

But if you make it your own, and if you use the same key and chords I guess its technically correct.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:24 am

Oh ha! Right and wrong eh? I guess that can be applied to spelling (except when you are two people like us, divided by a common language!) but maybe not to the songs we play. There's the original and then there's other ways of playing it with improvs and additions but if it's not too recognisable, then it becomes another song. I guess timing and melody is key.... even if you have to transpose or capo up to a different key to fit your voice, which is what I often have to do. Most of the lessons here seem to be in original key which sounds wonderful..... but sometimes makes singing hell. Like Neil mentions in a video somewhere, the original artists themselves are usually not reaching the same notes (as they reach 60 plus) as they did when the song was first performed. I've seen Paul McCarney in concert 3 times now and each time it was mind bogglingly good..... but not everything was exactly like the original.
So, I find myself adjusting songs to fit my voice. Here I'm learning much more about accuracy in timing and rhythm... that is making everything I play sound much better. That sounds right! :-)
I thank the Muppets for a serious discussion... at last :-)

Music Junkie

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:13 am

Performing like Segovia=perfect
Playing Rock/Pop/Soul/Folk, etc.=If it sounds good, do it!

cabro

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:21 am

For me personally, when I cover a song, I try to make it as close to the studio recording or most popular version as I can first. I feel that if I know the song in it's native form or the form most people are familiar with then I can render my own interpretation as I see fit. If I can't do a faithful rendition of the song but have to play it differently then it seems like cheating to me. That's just me and I cast no aspersions elsewhere. It's my own personal "code" if you will. Not knowing any different is another matter. I'm one of those musicians that Neil referred to as "seat of the pants". I have no formal training but do have a pretty good ear. I know some theory but like most of the music I know, I learned it own my own and, at least as far as theory is concerned, my knowledge base is somewhat lacking. Take From The Beginning as an example again. I have been playing this song for years in bits and pieces. I used one chord pattern till someone showed me a different pattern that sounded better or closer to what GL was playing. Then someone showed me something I thought sounded even better/closer. Finally, I got to see GL's hands up close and saw what he was playing and then saw how Neil played it and they were basically the same. This is the way I now play it. I'm not above or beyond playing an "incorrect" version of a song if I don't know any better way to play it, a la Greg's philosophy of "if it sounds good..." That's my take on it.

Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic