Fender CD220sce Acoustic/Electric question

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:11 am

Hello huge network of knowlegable friends..

I'm about to upgrade from my starter acoustic guitar (Yamaha F310).

Was thinking of getting an acoustic/electric. I was in a music store the other day and saw a Fender CD220sce. Just a gorgeous guitar- but I didn't get a chance to play it yet.

Has anyone had any experience with this guitar and advice to pass along in general?

I'm looking in the $400 to $500 range.

Thanks in advance..

Al

AcousticAl

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:12 am

Here's what she looks like anyways..

**sorry- image issues**

AcousticAl

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:49 am

Well I never heard back from anyone- but I guess I'm not surprised.
From what I understand- Fender doesn't have a great rep making acoustic guitars.

However, I've also read some pretty good reviews about the 220 on some other sites- and I tried it out in the shop. It felt really good, so I grabbed it.

Wish me luck!

Will try to post a pic again..

AcousticAl

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:01 pm

I give up. Will create a support ticket about uploading images.

If you're interested- check out the guitar in my photos..

BigBear

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:08 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Well I never heard back from anyone- but I guess I'm not surprised.
From what I understand- Fender doesn't have a great rep making acoustic guitars.

However, I've also read some pretty good reviews about the 220 on some other sites- and I tried it out in the shop. It felt really good, so I grabbed it.

Wish me luck!

Will try to post a pic again..

Al- you're absolutely right that Fender has never had a good reputation for acosutic guitars. Frankly, they have, in most cases, been dreadful. Fender understood this and so they purchased several well known acoustic manufacturers including Guild, Ovation, Tacoma and several others.

I was so turned off by Fender acoustics that I haven't played a post-2004 guitar. They could be better but they sure aren't setting any sales records! Very few shops even carry them down here.

If I had $500 to spend and wanted a quality instrument, and especially if I lived in Canada, I would buy a Seagull, hands down. I have never seen, or played, such quality in that price range. I bought my youngest son a Seagull, after doing a ton of research, and it is just a remarkable guitar.

The other thing to think about is if you upgrade later, a Fender will not have nearly the resale value of a Seagull. I realize the resale on a $500 guitar isn't much anyway but it is something to consider.

Your country makes great guitars and I am proud to own a Canadian Larrivee. But I'd own a Seagull in heartbeat!

Good luck and Happy Shopping!! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:18 pm

I hear you, Rick. Here's hoping Fender learned something when they purchased Guild etc.

I did end up grabbing the Fender though. Just felt and played good for me. And it's a gorgeous guitar IMHO.
As you say- the resale value probably won't be there- but I'm not planning on selling for a LONG time..

Thanks for getting back to me.

A.A.

chacho

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:20 pm

I don't know much about Fender acoustics but the bubinga wood looks wicked.
On looks alone it I would be drawn to it and then I probably would have tried it and then looked at all the reviews and if it felt good then........oh I forgot I can't afford it. lol

If you like it and if it plays well then thats all that matters.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

BigBear

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:22 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
I hear you, Rick. Here's hoping Fender learned something when they purchased Guild etc.

I did end up grabbing the Fender though. Just felt and played good for me. And it's a gorgeous guitar IMHO.
As you say- the resale value probably won't be there- but I'm not planning on selling for a LONG time..

Thanks for getting back to me.

A.A.

If it plays good and looks good that's all that matters!! Enjoy!

I don't know how I missed this thread 5 days ago. I watch the forum pretty close but blew this one! I'm sorry or I would have responded much sooner.

Post a picture when you can and let us know how it plays!

Rick

AcousticAl

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Pic is up in My Pics (a shot from fender's website).

I'll grab a nice shot with my camera and upload that too.

Maybe I'll even play it in a video when that's up'n'runnin' next week!

AcousticAl

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:41 pm

chacho wrote:
I don't know much about Fender acoustics but the bubinga wood looks wicked.
On looks alone it I would be drawn to it and then I probably would have tried it and then looked at all the reviews and if it felt good then........oh I forgot I can't afford it. lol

If you like it and if it plays well then thats all that matters.

Good luck with it and enjoy.
Chacho- you're right. The wood is stunning! I played quite a few in the store but I kept coming back to the 220.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic