Works in Progress- an idea

heyjoe

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:17 am

Hello

I was just thinking about TG today, and thought of something I'd like to share.

We all avidly watch Neil doing the great instructional videos that he does, I wondered if there should be a post where Neil and others can come to watch us playing- if Neil wants to of course. So, would anyone be interested in doing videos of our works in progress.

With this being such a friendly place I can imagine that such a section would be beneficial to all of us, and keep us inspired to learn the songs we are working on.

I know some people on here learn faster than others, so how about even partially completed songs, as an example, I'm close to getting the Intro and Section A of Classical Gas the way I want it to sound, so I'd be prepared to a video of me playing it, to see what others think of it.

So, what do you think, good idea, or should I go back to working on classical gas??

Thanks

Joe

AcousticAl

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:33 am

Hey Joe!

I really like this idea- I suggested something similar a while back..

If you look in the TG Community tab under videos, there's a section called 'Hacker's Corner' and another called 'Check It Out' that TGJim put there after a suggestion I put up. It hasn't really taken off yet- either people aren't into recording themselves- or they don't know it's there yet.

I for one would like to see other people's progress and pitfalls while trying to tackle these tunes. Misery loves company?

One day I'll get my act together and post something there myself..

Al

heyjoe

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:58 am

Hi Al

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling someone else would have asked this question before me.

I have done a video of Intro and Section A for Classical Gas, but have no idea how to get it on here!Help please

Thanks

Joe

mark

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:08 am

Hi Joe

What you need to do is this
1. Open a YouTube account
2. Upload your video to youtube - its quite easy once you have an account
3. Go to community/Videos and there is a link for adding a video
4. You just add the link to your youtube video in there

It's easier than these instructions probably make it sound.

Basically you link to a video which is elsewhere rather than upload it to totally guitars

heyjoe

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 am

Hi Mark

Thanks for the info

I've done all that, and my video is there on Hacker's corner (even though it says it doesn't contain any videos it does!)

So how could I add it to a forum post, is that possible too?

Thanks

Joe

mark

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 am

yeah
just create your message as usual and include a link to your youtube video and it automatically appears in the message

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:55 am

Heyjoe, the hurdles to be taken to post your own video are technical and psychological. You have to have a camera and something to pick up the sound. Not difficult. Then you need to know how to upload and where. Also not so difficult. But then you have to have the guts to "expose" yourself on TG (or to the entire internet!). The last bit is quite a high hurdle for me! And I suspect it's the same for many out there. Its when people like Mark and Andreas post that it gets the rest of us thinking. It will help more when someone posts something where everyone thinks, hey I can do as good as that! Then things will roll. I'm at least thinking of doing something simple to break my ice .....

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:13 pm

heyjoe wrote:
Hi Mark

Thanks for the info

I've done all that, and my video is there on Hacker's corner (even though it says it doesn't contain any videos it does!)

So how could I add it to a forum post, is that possible too?

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

That's weird that you uploaded it- but it's not there. Maybe make a support ticket for Big Jim to look into it..

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:18 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Heyjoe, the hurdles to be taken to post your own video are technical and psychological. You have to have a camera and something to pick up the sound. Not difficult. Then you need to know how to upload and where. Also not so difficult. But then you have to have the guts to "expose" yourself on TG (or to the entire internet!). The last bit is quite a high hurdle for me! And I suspect it's the same for many out there. Its when people like Mark and Andreas post that it gets the rest of us thinking. It will help more when someone posts something where everyone thinks, hey I can do as good as that! Then things will roll. I'm at least thinking of doing something simple to break my ice .....

Chris,

I hear you about the hurdles that we need to overcome to put ourselves on display for all to see. I'm a videographer for pete's sake and I still haven't gotten around to it!! Having TG see my playing is one thing- but I'm not crazy about the entire youtube world seeing me and being able to comment freely! Anonymity allows people to be very rude without consequences.

I'm sure I'll jump in the pool eventually. I think you're right about doing a simple piece though...

heyjoe

Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:49 pm

Hi Al

Thanks for the comments, I'll send a ticket to support to get it checked..I know you've seen it now though.

Chris

Your comment is very true. I'm thick skinned enough not to worry about what the youtube population think. The TG population is a lot different, I'm mor einterested to know what they think.

It did take a lot to put it on, but its good for me to put it out there, my plan being in 6 months to look back on it and go.."I can play the song much better now", and who knows, if it helps someone else to jump in the pool (yes Al, I'm thinking of you), then the more the better- the site will be more interactive, which will help us all.

It also makes me realise how much work I have to do, which is good.

Thanks for the support

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic