Luthiers experiences

goldleaf

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Andy, do you know my Luthier, and how much did he pay you??? Sound just like what he said. What I was hoping to hear was mix X & Y together put it in the seperation, sand lightly and bingo!! No such luck I guess. Well thanks for the reality check. lol Gary

AndyT

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Sorry Gary. I think I'd trust a guy who turns down a job for a legit reason over a guy who thinks its wrong and needs fixing just to get more money from me.

BigBear

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:24 pm

I think unless your guitar is an heirloom or rare and resale is a real issue, if the binding bugs you fix it! It's your baby and if you don't like the way it looks you don't need anyone's advice to make it right! I wouldn't even hesitate to fix it!

I had a tiny, tiny crack on the lower bout of my guitar. It's mahogany which is prone to cracking anyway. Absolutely no one could see it but it bugged the hell out of me knowing my guitar was broken! So I fixed it!

Irrational? Probably. Illogical? Absolutely! But I wanted my guitar right!

Gary, I'd go for it!! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:26 pm

BigBear wrote:
I think unless your guitar is an heirloom or rare and resale is a real issue, if the binding bugs you fix it! It's your baby and if you don't like the way it looks you don't need anyone's advice to make it right! I wouldn't even hesitate to fix it!

I had a tiny, tiny crack on the lower bout of my guitar. It's mahogany which is prone to cracking anyway. Absolutely no one could see it but it bugged the hell out of me knowing my guitar was broken! So I fixed it!

Gary please note this is a bit of a rush of blood to the head, but I actually agree with Bear... Oooo I need to lie down...

BigBear

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
BigBear wrote:

Gary please note this is a bit of a rush of blood to the head, but I actually agree with Bear... Oooo I need to lie down...
Now you're coming around!! Excellent!!! :lol: :lol:

AndyT

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Chas, get that water buffalo off your head and you'll feel better.

goldleaf

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:11 pm

Chas, sorry didn't mean to cause you any distress!! Bear,thanks for the input, actually the guitar I,m referring to is somewhat rare and I probably will sell it so does that change your recommendation?? It is a Guild, Willy Porter Signature Model made by Guild in their Tacoma WA plant in 2007. The Guild "Contemporary Series" was only produced for a period of months (don't know how many) in 2007 before they moved to Hartfort Conn and all their GAD series are made in China. Fender bought out the Tacoma Guitar Co. in 2005-6? so they could move Guild from CA to Tacoma (per Guitar Blue Book). Fender stopped production of the Tacoma models that were starting to gain popularity and the Guild Contemporary Series which got great write ups at the 2007 NAMM. Don't understand why they stop production of the most popular acoustic/electric models that might compete w/ Martin, Tayloy especially since they already own the companies. Go figure. Gary

BigBear

Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:48 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Chas, sorry didn't mean to cause you any distress!! Bear,thanks for the input, actually the guitar I,m referring to is somewhat rare and I probably will sell it so does that change your recommendation?? It is a Guild, Willy Porter Signature Model made by Guild in their Tacoma WA plant in 2007. The Guild "Contemporary Series" was only produced for a period of months (don't know how many) in 2007 before they moved to Hartfort Conn and all their GAD series are made in China. Fender bought out the Tacoma Guitar Co. in 2005-6? so they could move Guild from CA to Tacoma (per Guitar Blue Book). Fender stopped production of the Tacoma models that were starting to gain popularity and the Guild Contemporary Series which got great write ups at the 2007 NAMM. Don't understand why they stop production of the most popular acoustic/electric models that might compete w/ Martin, Tayloy especially since they already own the companies. Go figure. Gary
Gary- the only thing that would change my opinion is does it really bug you? And when do you plan to sell it? I'm not a guitar collector, too broke, so I own guitars for the joy of playing them. If you can't enjoy it why bother?

If you believe this guitar will hold it's value or even appreciate in value, then I would get a factory authorized luthier to fix it. Look at this way, whether you repair it or not, either way you will have to explain the imperfection. So do what will give you the greatest pleasure until you do sell it!

Just my 2 cents! Good luck! :cheer:

goldleaf

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Bear, good points.. Actually I will probably hold on to this guitar as I believe it is getting to a point where you can't find them wholesale (because Guild never advertised or promoted it) I guess you could call it a limited edition. My idea is to hold this and 2 other Guild "Contemporary Series" CO-2c & CV-1c model guitars until I can sell them for enough to buy the guitar I really want, even if it takes a year or so. That should give me some time to humidify them properly & play them as they have been setting in a warehouse since 2007 and need to be played to let the wood age properly. I guess I am a collector now! although I just bought these guitars in the last 2 months and have 1 Tacoma on order. Thanks for all the input, it has really helped me open up some lines of thought about my overall goals with my guitars. Now I think I'll grab my CO-2c and get some practice in. Karma to you.. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic