Luthiers experiences

haoli25

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:50 pm

Good one Rick!!!!! :laugh:

My friend is very laid back, he was angry but you could hardly tell. Had it been me, I would have went to jail that day with a very sore fist! :cheer:

Bill

BigBear

Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:12 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Good one Rick!!!!! :laugh:

My friend is very laid back, he was angry but you could hardly tell. Had it been me, I would have went to jail that day with a very sore fist! :cheer:
You and me both! I have no tolerance for that kind of stuff and it happens all the time! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:15 pm

BigBear wrote:
haoli25 wrote:
A couple of years ago, a friend of mine took his Martin D-35 into a local shop for a setup. When he went to pick it up, they gave it back to him with a broken neck. They told him, "Everyone knows Martin uses cheap wood....it wasn't our fault...I guess you will have to try to sue us."
He did hire a lawyer and filed a suit against the store, eventually they agreed to replace the neck.

What was that guitar shop called? United Airlines and Guitar Repair? That's awful!!
As well as the lawyers I would have been hitting up the media with that one, atrocious those guys shouldn't be in business. PLus I would have taken that to Martins as well...

goldleaf

Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:48 pm

A broken neck on a Martin. And Lawyers!! How do you find one that doesn't want more up front that the repair would cost. Sounds like a situation that would give me an ulcer. I have a Luthier that seems to be competent and a nice person but sometimes on cosmetic things like, I have a guitar with Ivorone binding, the top binding above the strap pin has a small like 1/16 -1/32" seperation. It seems like a small piece could be inserted or some filler put in but he says you will always see it just leave good enough be. The guitar is a $3,300 MSRP and it is perfect except for that one fault. I feel like I should get a 2nd opinion from another Luthier. I hate being so picky but when you look at the end pin you can see the bottom binding is smooth and the upper has that little seperation. Fixable or not ??? Gary

haoli25

Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:53 pm

As with all businesses, most are very good at what they do, but there are always a few crooks that you have to be wary of. I am more likely to go with a recommendation from someone I know rather than pay attention to any advertising.

AndyT

Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:07 am

Gary,
Everything is fixable, but sometimes its better to leave it alone. It would cost twice what the job is worth on your guitar to have it done. And some imperfections actually add value to the instrument.

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:50 am

AndyT wrote:
Gary,
Everything is fixable, but sometimes its better to leave it alone. It would cost twice what the job is worth on your guitar to have it done. And some imperfections actually add value to the instrument.
Ok ANdy lend me your guitar I'll put some valuable imperfections on it for you lol

AndyT

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:22 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Ok ANdy lend me your guitar I'll put some valuable imperfections on it for you lol
No need. My granddaughter has already taken care of that. :(

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:40 am

AndyT wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
No need. My granddaughter has already taken care of that. :(
To be honest I could never intentionally damage any guitar, so you are quite safe Andy

AndyT

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:54 pm

From you maybe... LOL

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic