Luthiers experiences

chacho

Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi Guys

I thought I would start another thread on peoples experiences with Luthiers (guitar makers).
On guitar websites and forums we are always been told to have your guitar setup, old or new by a Luthier for the action you want.
Like anything in life it dosen't always turn out for the better and they are generally quite expensive.
Could we have some feedback on your experiences with Luthiers, good or bad.
Has it been well worth the money or a total let down.

karl01

Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:42 pm

I have had both my guitars set up shortly after I bought them. It has made all the difference in the the world. It did not cost all the much money and was well worth it. Sometimes the factory set up and stings are do not bring out the best in the guitar. I`m and still trying different stings to find out which ones work for me and the guitar.

Karl

rcsnydley

Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:13 pm

I do not have personal experience, but a good friend of mine has had a few of his guitars worked on by a local luthier. He loves the work the guy does and highly recommends him. As soon as I can afford it I will be taking my guitar there to get it adjusted. I will let you know how it works out.

Ric

Lavallee

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:41 pm

I brougth both my accoustic and electric and the guy did a very good job. The cost was around $70 canadian but it is probably similar in US dollars. He keeps it for a few days and will adjust frets, action play, pickups (on electric anyway)(you can confirm this with him fist however). I take my guitars once a year. Ideally if you have a reference (mayber from a guitar store if you do not know anybody), it will give you more confidence. I think it is definitely worth the money.

Marc

BigBear

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:07 pm

chacho wrote:
Hi Guys

I thought I would start another thread on peoples experiences with Luthiers (guitar makers).
On guitar websites and forums we are always been told to have your guitar setup, old or new by a Luthier for the action you want.
Like anything in life it dosen't always turn out for the better and they are generally quite expensive.
Could we have some feedback on your experiences with Luthiers, good or bad.
Has it been well worth the money or a total let down.

Chacho- Great question! Absolutely the best money you could spend on your guitar!! But only if you get a good one. I've used three different ones here in Portland and they are all outstanding. Two were shops with several guys and the other was a single guy working in his basement.

I recommend calling your guitar company and asking if they have a factory authorized repair shop in your home town. Most guitar companies are pretty picky about who repairs their guitars (and become associated with the name) and the shops that are selected can earn significant additional money for being the factory shop so they will pay attention just to keep the account.

Plus they usually have to attend training and be inspected by the company. The guys I use now rep Taylor and at least three of them have been trained at the El Cajon plant in California. They know their stuff! I think it's just common sense to have a good luthier in your back pocket! Never know when you will need him or her!

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:51 pm

This is a good thread, I have never used one, I don't actually know of 'good' luthiers in NZ somebody might be able to help there... I use Frets.com if I need anything.

AndyT

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 am

I have yet to meet a luthier that I did not like. They have all been great guys and the prices are always more than reasonable.

chacho

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:20 am

It sounds like I am the only one thats ever had a bad experience with a luthier.:(
I was so dissapointed, I set up my acoustic myself with all the available information on the web.
Having said that, if I knew a good one near me I would rather use a Luthier knowing that a good job would be done.

haoli25

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Hey Chacho, if you will talk with some local musicians either at local clubs or on a local musicians website, I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction to find a good luthier in your area. They can also tell you of the ones to avoid.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine took his Martin D-35 into a local shop for a setup. When he went to pick it up, they gave it back to him with a broken neck. They told him, "Everyone knows Martin uses cheap wood....it wasn't our fault...I guess you will have to try to sue us."
He did hire a lawyer and filed a suit against the store, eventually they agreed to replace the neck.

Bill

BigBear

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:46 pm

haoli25 wrote:
A couple of years ago, a friend of mine took his Martin D-35 into a local shop for a setup. When he went to pick it up, they gave it back to him with a broken neck. They told him, "Everyone knows Martin uses cheap wood....it wasn't our fault...I guess you will have to try to sue us."
He did hire a lawyer and filed a suit against the store, eventually they agreed to replace the neck.

What was that guitar shop called? United Airlines and Guitar Repair? That's awful!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic