Strumming Question

mwortman

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:16 pm

I thought maybe someone could help me on this. When I Strum with my hand I can control it really good and I can change chords faster and more smoothly but I dont get a good sound, it is soft and not loud enough. When I use a pick I cant control it good enough and I get off timing. Can you use a thumb pick to strum, I dont do much fingerstyle, mostly Strumming. Any help would be good

Thanks Marty

wrench

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Marty,

Sounds to me like you may lose control while strumming with the pick because your wrist is too rigid, causing you to direct the pick with your entire arm.

Watch Neil's video on strumming with a pick, and you'll see some key points he makes are holding the pick such that it drags the strings, and keep your wrist loose enough that it can rotate to keep the pick dragging when you change the direction of the strum.

I wouldn't use a thumbpick for general strumming because you will not be able to drag the pick in the upward direction very well.

wrench

BigBear

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:10 pm

mwortman wrote:
I thought maybe someone could help me on this. When I Strum with my hand I can control it really good and I can change chords faster and more smoothly but I dont get a good sound, it is soft and not loud enough. When I use a pick I cant control it good enough and I get off timing. Can you use a thumb pick to strum, I dont do much fingerstyle, mostly Strumming. Any help would be good

Thanks Marty

Marty- Wrench is right, first off watch Neil's video on using a pick. I've used a pick my whole life and I learned several tings I didn't know. Learning to use a pick is absolutely necessary to becoming a "real" guitarist. Even if you think all you will ever do is play fingerstyle, someday you will need a pick!

A thumbpick may help but it is really only practical on the downstroke and tough on the upstroke. I don't think it is your short term solution.

Another option is to use your natural nails. Let your thumb nail grow out slightly and use it. But again, the upstroke will take some work. Some people also build up a callus on the left side of their thumb and with time you will get more volume.

Having tried all of these techniques to limited success I really recommend you slow down, take your time and learn how to use a pick. It takes time and, frankly, a heck of a lot of practice to get proficient with a pick. I still hit clunkers all the time and it really p...ses me off because I think I should be perfect because I've played for so long. Not so!

And really try to keep your pick hand relaxed. It is the only way you will get fluidity. DOn't feel too bad, we've all struggled with this!

Good luck! :cheer:

mwortman

Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Thank you, that is some good info.

AndyT

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:59 am

I do not play with a pick and I have plenty of volume.

BigBear

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:09 am

AndyT wrote:
Do you use your thumb to strum or your nail?

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:48 am

BigBear wrote:
AndyT wrote:
Do you use your thumb to strum or your nail?
We maybe missed a FAQ: PLease explain the Invisible pick?

AndyT

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:05 am

I have groomed my fingernails to use them instead of a pick. but I use both my nail and my thumb to strum depending on what I'm going for.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:57 am

Hi Marty. I'm an lower mid-level intermediate with huge holes in my technique all over the place but lots of practice in strumming. I've never been happy with a pick. I use the back of my fingers tips (i.e. the nails)instead of a pick and get plenty of volume on the strum or use just my forefinger nail backed up by my thumb (is this the invisible pick?) to pick single notes. I will be working on the pick stuff in Neil's videos. Marty, that's your best bet to get ahead: :-)

AndyT

Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 am

If you really want to get ahead, just buy a set of Neil's fingers. Trust me, he's got plenty. I counted at least 9 on one of his hands.... :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic