Taylor 314 ce or 312 ce?

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 am

AndyT wrote:
Ask Bear. I think he works for Taylor. :lol:

LMAO! You crack me up!! I only wish I did. Maybe I could get an employee discount!! :lol:

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:58 am

AndyT wrote:
Or he's on commission....

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:03 am

Chasplaya wrote:
AndyT wrote:

I'm hoping that if I give them enough plugs they'll sned me a brand new 914ce. But considering that Taylor is one of the very few companies that doesn't pay artists to play their guitars I think I'm screwed!!! :lol:

AndyT

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:13 am

Don't you have to know how to play to be considered an artist? :P

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:16 am

BigBear wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
AndyT wrote:

I'm hoping that if I give them enough plugs they'll sned me a brand new 914ce. But considering that Taylor is one of the very few companies that doesn't pay artists to play their guitars I think I'm screwed!!! :lol:
I'll send you some crayons then you might have a show of becoming an artist mate...

goldleaf

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:08 pm

Ya'all are too much. Very fertile imaginations. BTY thanks for that link, it still did'nt show the tobacco sunburst, I saw the honey sunburst was an option, which am pretty sure is an additional cost as that was one of the things that is done by a person, that is spraying the black and fading into the sunburst. It is done with a hand held spray gun and someone with very steady hands. That was one of the most interesting parts of the tour, you're watching a machine grab a guitar body and put it under a spray machine and turn it just so. The next section they are glueing binding in place by hand and holding it to set up with tape. Said they just havent found a way to bend some of the wood bindings w/o breaking it so they do that process by hand. The same with getting the sunburst look, still done by hand. I think the one I saw must have been a 614ce cause the 512 &14 show the honey sunburst as an option not tobacco. Even the expert didn't know if the sunburst finish was an extra cost, no wonder I'm having trouble finding about pricing and availability of the tobacco sunburst finish. Gary

jayswett

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:16 pm

This might be a bit off topic, but since this thread is about Taylor guitars, I'd thought I'd mention that I was interested in buying a new Taylor D3, which was recommended to me by a local guy who is certified in repairing both Martin and Taylor guitars. In fact, that's all he will repair. Anyway, I was scared off by the fact that Taylor no longer puts pick guards on these guitars. Any idea why that would be?

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:35 pm

jayswett wrote:
This might be a bit off topic, but since this thread is about Taylor guitars, I'd thought I'd mention that I was interested in buying a new Taylor D3, which was recommended to me by a local guy who is certified in repairing both Martin and Taylor guitars. In fact, that's all he will repair. Anyway, I was scared off by the fact that Taylor no longer puts pick guards on these guitars. Any idea why that would be?

Jay, I think it's just for looks. My Larrivee has a clear pickguard that is very hard to see. Taylor has a custom shop that can put anything you want on the guitar but I suspect your Taylor-certified luthier could do the same.

BTW- the D3's are pretty cool! If I was only rich! I want one of those T5's too! :cheer:

goldleaf

Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:51 pm

Jay, that question was asked during the Tour of the Taylor factory I went on this month. As I recall the answer was somewhat convaluted but the bottom line I drew from it was that the wood is not completely dried out even after the guitar is completed and ready to ship to it's destination. The installation of a pick guard affects the drying of the (usually spruce top) and Taylor decided not to put pick guards on as a normal process so the wood can continue to dry out. Taylor determined that a large % of the guitar buying population doesn't want a pickguard on their guitar so Taylor leaves that to the buyer since it is a relatively simple & inexpensive procedure. They will be glad to add a pick guard on special order for a small fee though. Gary

steve36

Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:47 am

I think you need to go talk to Jim at Rodeo Guitars. I got two Taylors from him, the latest is a 414CE spring 2009 ltd and she's a beauty.
As far as I know Taylors still come with pickguards. As I said, talk to Jim he is a great guy, you won't believe his prices and he has a buy back guarantee if you ever want to upgrade.
Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic