Taylor 314 ce or 312 ce?

NKenny

Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm

I was thinking of getting a Taylor 314 ce or 312 ce. The 314 is a grand auditorium body and the 312 is a grand concert body. The 312 is smaller, I play mostly finger style, any opinions on which to get?

Thanks Kenny

haoli25

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Hello Kenny, welcome to the TG Forum.

Have you had a chance to play both models yet? I prefer the 314-CE, but all comes down to personal taste and how each model feels to you. Either one you choose, they are great guitars.

BigBear

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:58 pm

NKenny wrote:
I was thinking of getting a Taylor 314 ce or 312 ce. The 314 is a grand auditorium body and the 312 is a grand concert body. The 312 is smaller, I play mostly finger style, any opinions on which to get?

Thanks Kenny

Hi Kenny! I've got a Taylor 314ce. I bought it for my campfire guitar but then decided it was way too nice for that! It has become my go-to, everyday guitar and I love it!! I really love it! It has great tone, a great neck (all Taylors do) and the electronics are really nice.

Bill's right, go for the 314 over the 312. There's something about the Grand Auditorium shape that is really "right". To me, the 312 had no projection and no bass. It did have the typical Taylor "brightness". And I don't like the smaller size of the 312. But that is just personal taste.

The only downside is they aren't giving them away anymore are they? I think they list for almost $1,700. I got mine on eBay, brand new, with tags, for $650 icluding case! I know, I stole it!

PM me if you want anymore info on this guitar. I also have a Taylor 855 and I had a Taylor 710 but like a dumbass I sold it to my guitar playing buddy! Now he won't give it back! The 855 is my favorite guitar of all time!

Good luck with your fun choice! :cheer:

goldleaf

Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm looking to buy by first pick guitar. I have to sell a few of my others before I can afford to get what I really want. Part of the problem is I'm not sure what that is. I hear a lot about the neck on the Taylor, like it is one of the favorites. Also compared to Martin, which was my original pick, but I've heard from some that the Cole Clark and Collings & Larravee are all contenders. From there its personal preference. What about the neck on the Taylors makes it so popular?? That would be major aspect for me. Forgot, Breedlove is mentioned also. Any info on the Tayloy neck would be appreciated. Gary

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:12 pm

I suggest you read these reviews also:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... 12-CE/10/1

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... 14-CE/10/1

As for Cole Clarks ask anything you like , but i'm biased so check:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... FL2AC/10/1

This Cole is the one up from mine, they all score 9+.

Best thing if you can try before you buy!

BigBear

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:06 pm

goldleaf wrote:
I'm looking to buy by first pick guitar. I have to sell a few of my others before I can afford to get what I really want. Part of the problem is I'm not sure what that is. I hear a lot about the neck on the Taylor, like it is one of the favorites. Also compared to Martin, which was my original pick, but I've heard from some that the Cole Clark and Collings & Larravee are all contenders. From there its personal preference. What about the neck on the Taylors makes it so popular?? That would be major aspect for me. Forgot, Breedlove is mentioned also. Any info on the Tayloy neck would be appreciated. Gary
Gary- Taylor was one of, if not the first, true, mass produced guitars to use a CNC (computer numerical control) to rapidly and very accurate cut necks. The cost of a CNC was way out of reach for most small guitar manufacturers without very deep pockets. Taylor took the unique approach that mass produced was an advantage not an indication of poor quality like many off-shore brands of the mid-70's. They now produce something like 80,000 guitars a year.

Most high-end guitar necks prior to Taylor were laboriously hand carved (usually with a pull knife). The result of the CNC is that every Taylor guitar has exactly the same neck profile, usually described as very "fast", which is a reference to electric guitars. This is contrasted to the older, more rounded necks used by everyone else.

If you've ever played a Fender Stratocaster you have an idea what the Taylor neck is like. It is is very thin and almost flat on the underside. Bob Taylor and Jean Larrivee are good friends so it is no surprise that Larrivee's have very similar neck contours and share the same ease of play. Larrivee's used to be a great value due to the weak Canadian dollar but now Larrivee is made mostly in California so that advantage disappeared.

As I've posted before, I went in to the guitar shop to buy a D-28 Martin and walked out with a Taylor 710, primarily because the Taylor was so easy to play and sounded so good. As I've watched the price of Taylor guitars go up and up I feel good about my decision!

I am familiar with Breedlove because they are made in Central Oregon in a little town called Tumalo. They are unique and beautifully made instruments but they start around $4,000 and go up from there. I think they now have a more moderately priced line just to compete. These are easily the equal of Taylor and Larrivee.

Chas is right, if you can get access to these guitars you should play them first. Like I said, I was brainwashed by Martin and have now bought 3 Taylors and one Larrivee. At $1,650 the 314ce isn't cheap.

Good luck! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Brad Clark from Cole Clark (ex CEO of Maton) talks of friendship with Bob Taylor. BOth companies use CNC routers extensively.

BigBear

Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Brad Clark from Cole Clark (ex CEO of Maton) talks of friendship with Bob Taylor. BOth companies use CNC routers extensively.
I think all guitar companies do now but Bob Taylor was quite an innovator back in the mid-70's. No one can deny Bob Taylor's impact on the guitar industry. I think what he did best was use machines where they could be most beneficial and then skilled luthiers for the fine hand work.

This blend of technology and old world craftmanship has really produced some fine intruments. Obviously, I'm pretty impressed with the sound and quality to endorse them so vigorously! And the incredible and growing list of artists who play them are testament that I am not the only one who is impressed. BTW- Taylor does not pay endorsement fees to musicians! :cheer:

albedoya

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Early this week, I received my new Taylor 614CE. I totally love it. This will probably be my last guitar. I cannot put it down. My wife is jealous I'm spending so much time with her. The sound is just what I was looking for... and looks?!?! What a beautiful instrument; it really is a piece of work. Very pricy but so far I'm not regretting it.

NKenny

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Thanks for the info everybody. I have played a 314 now if I can get my hands on a 312 I will decide.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic