Taylor 314 ce or 312 ce?

goldleaf

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks, I'm sure I will have a good time, but Jim Croce and I seem to have something in common -- "Never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them" - Between visiting family and seeing the sights plus fitting in my guitar ventures in SD a week goes by so fast. Happy searching for your new guitar. Gary

goldleaf

Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 pm

Got to see the Taylor Guitar factory in San Diego (El Cajon), yesterday 9/8/09. What was supposed to be a 1:15 minute tour took almost 2 1/2 hours. It was very interesting seeing where they place the rough wood stacked outside but in a heavy canvas rooms for each type of wood for drying, then going through the whole process of turning that wood into some very beautiful guitars. I was impressed by the way the Taylor production used high tech. routers, buffers, sprayers etc. mixed w/ hand craftmanship for different processes i.e., attaching the bindings are done by hand - glued on and held in place with tape to setup overnight. The tour guide explained that they just haven't found a way to attach the bindings by machine that meets their satisfaction. They have 2 sound proof rooms in the lobby where you can play any guitar they have on display, I played a 314ce &614ce. It was a great tour, glad I went. Gary

BigBear

Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:17 pm

goldleaf wrote:
I played a 314ce &614ce. It was a great tour, glad I went. Gary

So what did you think about the guitars?

goldleaf

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:30 pm

Awesome, they are starting a new line of electric guitars that caught my eye but - the acoustics seemed to be well made, have a neck more like an electric, easier to play and a 3 way electronic system that is not like the piezo under saddle but consists of tiny cylinders filled with fluid and a metal center floating in the fluid so no friction , that is placed under the saddle? An extra one on the "B" string just because they find it hard to get the proper sound out of the B. A transducer or mic which attaches to the body and another element, you can mix all 3 to get the acoustic tone you want. Looked like you would have to remove the strings to do that. I like that it has 3 small knobs for basic volume and tone adjustment no big hole in the side. I saw a beautiful 614ce that was tobacco sunburst w/ abalone sound hole inlay and the Taylor bird fretboard inlay. Don't usually go for the sunburst but this was really pretty. They have a build your own option but I couldn't get an answer on what the additional cost would be compared to the same basic guitar as standard. They are really pushing the Koa wood this year as they have a good supply of it and it has a very nice grain. Forgot, the neck is bolted on w/ 3 bolts allowing a dealer to detach, place shims under and keep the neck at the proper angle to the guitar over it's life. The truss rod adjusts the bend in the neck. A feature they claim is superior to most other guitars. I plan to buy one when I sell a few guitars to get the $$, although I still haven't eliminated Martin. Need to play a few nice Martins before any final decision. PS. Found out they now make the Baby Taylor and their guitar cases in Tacate, Mexico(60 mi S. of SD) Gary

goldleaf

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:25 pm

TAYLOR MOVES TO MEXICO!!! Well at least the mfg. of the Baby Taylor and their guitar cases. They are made in Tecate, Mexico, about 60 mi. S. of San Diego. Yep, that's also the home of Tecate Beer. Been there a few times in my misspent youth. Gary

BigBear

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 pm

goldleaf wrote:
TAYLOR MOVES TO MEXICO!!! Well at least the mfg. of the Baby Taylor and their guitar cases. They are made in Tecate, Mexico, about 60 mi. S. of San Diego. Yep, that's also the home of Tecate Beer. Been there a few times in my misspent youth. Gary

Gary- it is my understanding that they also make the 100 and 200 series guitars there as well! The 300 series is the first ones made in El Cajon (sounds real American right?) :cheer:

goldleaf

Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Could well be. It was only mentioned near the end or the tour when the director was pointing out several buildings where they do the development and mentioned they have another facility in Tecate where they make the Baby Taylor and their guitar cases. He may have decided to not mention the 100 & 200 series where made there also. He didn't say anything that would make me think you are wrong. I was going to call them to find out about a humidifier the tour guide showed us that he recommended for guitar maintainence, infact they sold them at their store/lobby but I didn't see it (my wife did), I was transfixed on the 614ce w/tobacco sunburst finish when he mentioned it. When I call I will ask him about what is produced in Tecate. Gary

goldleaf

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:15 pm

I've been looking to see what a Taylor 512ce w/ a tobacco sunburst finish would cost. Also is this a basic production combination or would you have to go the build your own route. I've tried to google any tobacco sunburst finish Taylor and haven't had much luck. Gary

AndyT

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Ask Bear. I think he works for Taylor. :lol:

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:57 am

goldleaf wrote:
I've been looking to see what a Taylor 512ce w/ a tobacco sunburst finish would cost. Also is this a basic production combination or would you have to go the build your own route. I've tried to google any tobacco sunburst finish Taylor and haven't had much luck. Gary

Gary- yes, Taylor does make the 512ce with a beautiful sunburst finish. More honey than tabacco. I don't especially like sunburst guitars but that finish is beautiful!! Check out this link:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Ac ... 500/512ce/

They list for $3,538 but don't state whether the sunburst is the same price.

Cheers! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic