Taylor 314 ce or 312 ce?

jazzbass12

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:17 pm

I like my 314 but, I find the sound is too bright (typical for Taylor). I am now using a Taylor DN8 which I love.I find it has a better balance of brightness and bottom. The 314 still sounds great if you like that tone. Handles great (think neck).

goldleaf

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Steve, I probably shouldn't have made the post I did to "Jayswett" re: his concern that "Taylor dosen't come w/Pickguards anymore". They clearly do. As I stated the answer I heard was not clear to me but it may have referenced certain series say the 100 & 200 series where the pickguard is an option, but I honestly don't know for sure, as I say I probably should have left that question to someone who could answer it with more clarity. Gary

goldleaf

Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Taylor has a awesome electric pickup system for it's acoustic/electric series, here is a special guitar with a just patented electronic system by Guild in 2007 , Check it out: Gary

www.ksmusic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=582

goldleaf

Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:07 pm

On the other hand the Martin 16 series w/cutaway & electronics probably has the best sound of the acoustics. Larravee is supposed to be close to the Taylor but which means the neck is probably easy to play on. But it is pretty hard to beat Martin or Guild (Contemporary Series 2007) when it comes to their wood and acoustic sound...

BigBear

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:05 am

goldleaf wrote:
On the other hand the Martin 16 series w/cutaway & electronics probably has the best sound of the acoustics. Larravee is supposed to be close to the Taylor but which means the neck is probably easy to play on. But it is pretty hard to beat Martin or Guild when it comes to their wood and acoustic sound...

I would respectfully suggest that Guild is no longer in the same league as Martin, Taylor, Larrivee or even Takamine. Not even close. They are trying to come back after several decades of neglect and are making some nice guitars again but they aren't there yet.

Guild has no special access to tone woods that would seperate them from the rest. Time will tell if Fender, who owns Guild, will continue to invest in R&D and commit to quality throughout the entire Guild line.

:cheer:

haoli25

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:22 am

Steve, I also recently got a Taylor 414ce. It's a great guitar and I love the sound plugged in and unplugged.
:)

Bill

dennisg

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:45 am

I realize this post is helping to continue the migration away from the thread topic, but I just have to post it anyway: I've been researching a 414ce for the past week -- you know, reading 10 years worth of reviews, scoping out all the online sites, browsing the forums. And when I thought it was time to actually play one, I went to my local (Seattle) Guitar Center. Despite the insane amount of instruments they have in that store, they didn't have a 414ce. What they did have, though, was a 2005 614ce in absolutely flawless condition. Not a scratch or ding on it. The wood -- inside and out -- looked beautiful. The MSRP (according to Taylor's web site) is almost $4000. Guitar Center was selling it for $2000, and I was able to get it for $1800.

I am not worthy to own such a guitar.

For many of us barely competent players, the next guitar we buy will possibly be the one we have for the rest of our lives. That's certainly the case with my 614ce and my advancing age. My advice: aim high, explore all the resources available to you, and don't settle.

- Dennis

goldleaf

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:23 am

BigBear wrote:
goldleaf wrote:
On the other hand the Martin 16 series w/cutaway & electronics probably has the best sound of the acoustics. Larravee is supposed to be close to the Taylor but which means the neck is probably easy to play on. But it is pretty hard to beat Martin or Guild when it comes to their wood and acoustic sound...

I would respectfully suggest that Guild is no longer in the same league as Martin, Taylor, Larrivee or even Takamine. Not even close. They are trying to come back after several decades of neglect and are making some nice guitars again but they aren't there yet.

Guild has no special access to tone woods that would seperate them from the rest. Time will tell if Fender, who owns Guild, will continue to invest in R&D and commit to quality throughout the entire Guild line.

:cheer:
Bear I would agree with you 100 percent on the Guild not being in the same league any more with their GAD series. It's a shame how they worked on the Contemporary Series that they produced in Tacoma WA during 2007 where they had access to the wood from the Tacoma Guitar Co. & mill combined with the woods they brought with them from CA when they moved in 2006, that's when they had access the the woods from both companies and factories that they used in the Contemporary Series that was in production for around 6 months. Now Guild makes the GAD series in China and it just dosen't quite compare IMHO to Martin and Taylor & others you mentioned. You have to go back to the USA made Contemporary Series 2007 to get the quality I was referring to in my post. Unfortunately most guitar players have never seen a Guild "Contemporary Series" because they never really advertised them, Fender the parent co. pulled the rug on Guild and moved them to Hartford Conn in 2008 & all mfg. was done in China since then. Check out the Community & "Groups" under TG for the "2007 Guild Contemporary Series" it shows Willy Porter introducing his "Signature Model w/ him playing it there is a web-site showing a Guild Contemporary Series CV-1C & all the details & pictures of that model, the US craftsmanship is clear. Gary

haoli25

Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 pm

dennisg wrote:
I realize this post is helping to continue the migration away from the thread topic, but I just have to post it anyway: I've been researching a 414ce for the past week -- you know, reading 10 years worth of reviews, scoping out all the online sites, browsing the forums. And when I thought it was time to actually play one, I went to my local (Seattle) Guitar Center. Despite the insane amount of instruments they have in that store, they didn't have a 414ce. What they did have, though, was a 2005 614ce in absolutely flawless condition. Not a scratch or ding on it. The wood -- inside and out -- looked beautiful. The MSRP (according to Taylor's web site) is almost $4000. Guitar Center was selling it for $2000, and I was able to get it for $1800.

I am not worthy to own such a guitar.

For many of us barely competent players, the next guitar we buy will possibly be the one we have for the rest of our lives. That's certainly the case with my 614ce and my advancing age. My advice: aim high, explore all the resources available to you, and don't settle.

- Dennis

Congratulations Dennis, you got a heck of a deal! I should warn you though, you may have the same problem with your 614ce that I have been experiencing with my 414ce...IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO PUT IT DOWN!! I have played my fingers off and loved every minute of it.

Again, congratulations on your new guitar. :)

Bill

:)

goldleaf

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:17 pm

Dennis, I played a 614ce when I was down a the Taylor factory last month. It had a tobacco, sunburst finish, I couldn't put it down. I assume most have a natural finish top. It really played nice and I usually don't care for sunburst but on that Taylor it really looked nice. Congratulations on getting a super guitar. Maybe some day in the future I'll get so lucky. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic