Help with Cleaning my Guitar

mwortman

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:12 pm

I have a question maybe I can get some help, I have a Cedar top guitar with a satin finish. I have some shiny smudges on a couple spots and they will not wipe off, Ive only had the guitar couple weeks. Is there anything good I can use to keep it clean.

Thanks Marty

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:26 pm

mwortman wrote:
I have a question maybe I can get some help, I have a Cedar top guitar with a satin finish. I have some shiny smudges on a couple spots and they will not wipe off, Ive only had the guitar couple weeks. Is there anything good I can use to keep it clean.

Thanks Marty
Try this link: Its depends on the finish whether its Nitrocellulose , shellac or newer catalyzed polymer.. Whether its satin or glossy it can be either nitro or polymer, pays to check first.

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Ge ... ing01.html

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:39 pm

My local guitar store (which has the largest selection of vintage guitars from San Francisco to Seattle) uses Gerlitz products. They turned me on to them and once I tried them I was duly impressed. No matter the finish they can handle it. They offer a Smudge Off, a Carnuba Polish, and more. Heck, if they can be trusted with a $10,000 1940's Brazilian Rosewood Martin they can be trusted with anything!! Take the guesswork out of it and give them a try. And, no, I don't have an endorsement with them!

goldleaf

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:11 pm

Chas, re: finish on my Guitar it is Nitrocellulose. It came with a Mist spray and wipe cloth by Fender. My guitar is a Guild post Fender buy out. Any experience with other products for Nitrocellulose finish. Gary

speedie

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:53 am

Goldleaf, have you ever tried Meguiars #9? A luthier told me several years ago to start using it and I have always had very good results.

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:36 pm

My advice with any finish is to start as low spec as possible, the old fashioned 'huff of breath' then a good dose of 'elbow grease', if that doesn't work then move on to luthier recommended proprietry brands.

goldleaf

Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:39 pm

Speedie, is Maguire's a wax or treatment for automobiles, Seems like I have seen that name in and auto store. Maybe it's the #9 that makes the difference. Thanks I'll check it out. Chas, I'll huff and puff and see if I enough elbow grease to polish my guitar. It's mainly the neck on one of my guitars that is sticky and makes it hard to play. I'll give it a good huff and wipe with the cloth that came w/ the guitar. I'll read the details on the spray mist, I'll need a magnifier, the print is so small I can't read even w/ my reading glasses. Gary

BigBear

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 pm

gingold wrote:
My local guitar store (which has the largest selection of vintage guitars from San Francisco to Seattle) uses Gerlitz products. They turned me on to them and once I tried them I was duly impressed. No matter the finish they can handle it. They offer a Smudge Off, a Carnuba Polish, and more. Heck, if they can be trusted with a $10,000 1940's Brazilian Rosewood Martin they can be trusted with anything!! Take the guesswork out of it and give them a try. And, no, I don't have an endorsement with them!

I think Gerlitz products are usually associated with violins and celloes and are very, very high quality. My luthier uses Gerlitz and swears by Meguiar's #9. I have used Martin Guitar Polish for years and it works great on anything with a high luster (lustre for Chas). I don't own any guitars with a satin finish but I can't imagine it wouldn't work fine there as well. :cheer:

haoli25

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:10 pm

Has anyone else used Meguiars #9? I know it is an automotive 'swirl remover', but that seems like it would be a little harsh for a guitar finish.

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:31 pm

If your guitar is that seriuously dirty / sticky use a mineral oil or naptha lighter fluid, never straight on the guitar use sparingly onto a cloth first. Another product is Novus #2 followed by Novus #1 again onto the cloth first and sparingly. If using oils don't get it in any cracks if your finish is slightly crazed don't use cream cleaners as this gets in the cracks and leaves residue that is almost impossible to get off and actually makes the crazes more noticeable. Never use Linseed oil that actually builds up residue over time and gets gummy. I noted on another site they recommended doing the neck with boiled linseed, that is an absolute no no!! Once in a blue moon use lemon oil on the neck and again sparingly and don't let it get in any cracks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic