Posture when playing guitar- how do you sit?

sl83

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:27 am

I've played while laying down on a couch - on my bed - standing - sitting in an armed computer chair - sitting on a stool - sitting on a couch etc etc.

I can never really get comfortable for long periods of time.

AndyT

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:45 am

sl83,
You gotta learn to relax man. LOL

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:49 am

sl83 wrote:
I've played while laying down on a couch - on my bed - standing - sitting in an armed computer chair - sitting on a stool - sitting on a couch etc etc.

I can never really get comfortable for long periods of time.

You're trying too hsrd man as Andy says relax let it go chill out as if it doesn't matter

goldleaf

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 pm

At home I am either sitting in my Wheelchair or on the couch, which my bum greatly prefers. The problem is I sink into the couch and the guitar, lower bout touches the couch and starts to slide out flat and I end up with the baseball bat grip. I've tried a small boulster pillow between the top of the the guitar and my chest which w/ a strap & it helps for awhile. I'm thinking about getting a well padded armless office chair that will be comfortable but let the guitat drop off the side so it stays more vertical for better wrist position. Any other suggestions as this is the biggest problem I have playing, getting into and staying in proper playing position, wrist wise. Gary.

rcsnydley

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:39 pm

AndyT wrote:
I learned that the easiest way is to sit straight and adjust your strap so that the guitar is very slightly off your lap. Not touching you. That way when you stand up, it will still be in the same place and you will not have to learn to play it in a different position.

Electric differs a bit.
This is a great idea Andy, I'm going to give it a try. I usually just let my strap hang loose when I play sitting.

Karma for you, my friend.

AndyT

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:44 pm

A lady that comes to my class is in a wheelchair. We figured out that the best position for her is to place a lumbar support to keep her sitting straight up. The problem is that the body tends to slump after so many years of wheelchair sitting and needs the extra support. This will help you balance the guitar better and with a strap holding it just slightly off your lap, you should be good to go. And she can take the arms off her chair while she plays.

AndyT

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks Ric.

goldleaf

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Andy, I also have swing away arms on my W/C and an air cushion I set on and it is the best place to play using a strap. But after setting in a W/C all day it's not the most confortable place to practice, but the couch is confortable but sucks as far as holding the guitar in proper position, also I have my laptop on a portable, small table right where I set on the couch so I can look a Neil's smiling face and fleet fingers as I keep hitting "Left Hand" on the instructions of learning a song. Thanks for the info. it all helps. Gary

frybaby

Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:34 pm

I have an device called "NECK UP" it suction cups to the guitar, made of leather and can be adjusted to hold the guitar at a good angle. I got it primarily to work on using the clasical position, but I cant break the habit of proping the guitar up on my right knee. The thing works absolutely great on any leg.
I especially like it because it keep the neck up at the right angle even when I am playing while slouching on the couch, proped up in bed, cross leg on the floor. I cant get along with out it. Check it out.

I researched proper playing position, for a while, and got some good info, but I am realy supprised by Neil playing position in the videos. Leg crossed with left ankle on righ knee, an on a stone fire place at that. What a man.

wrench

Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:59 pm

I am speechless (well as much as I can ever be) by the compliment. I didn't realize that's all it would take to get the accolade "what a man!"

...back to earth...

I will try to address this tomorrow on TG Live. I always recommend starting in classical position- guitar on the left leg, leg on a footstool. This gives the best support for the guitar and promotes the best hand position. The main advantage to this is the guitar is secured in 4 places- left leg, right thigh, right forearm, and leaning on the chest. This allows you to play WITHOUT your left hand adding any support.

Most posture and playing position problems are caused by using your left hand to help support the guitar.

Having said that, I have found a position that works for me that I can't always recommend. If you want to play on your right leg, you can only support the guitar in 3 places- right leg, right forearm, and still leaning against your chest. This requires a bit of balance to provide the missing 4th element. If you can make this work, you still need to raise the right leg 4-8 inches.

I can make this work by crossing my right ankle over my left knee, but as I get older I find myself having to grab my right foot to make it happen. ...bizarre sidetrip warning... This is also how John Renbourn plays and we have joked about it on stage where each of us helps the other get his leg crossed before we start a duet. It is no big deal for the first guy, but the second needs help from somebody who is already suffering from contortion problems...

To get back to the point, the guitar must be raised, balanced, neck angled up a bit (toward the ceiling), and the neck not too far away from your body. Many players have to reach way out like a banjo player might because of not holding the guitar close enough to their body. Again, this is getting a bit abstract, probably. It is on tomorrow's agenda.

Neil

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic