Posture when playing guitar- how do you sit?

heyjoe

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:15 am

Hi All

As a result of some constructive feedback after posting a video of me doing part of Classical Gas (btw thanks for the feedback Chas), I was wondering, does the way we sit when playing guitar affect your grip on the guitar.

I now know that I have the dreaded left handed baseball grip when fretting notes. Whilst trying to rectify this, I thought I'd look and see what the correct way to sit with the guitar was- now I'm more confused than ever.

I've watched videos, and looked in books, and everyone contradicts each other- now all I know is, the guitar has to rest on one of our legs, and we use two hands to play it!

So, how do you sit when playing guitar, do you use a strap, a footrest, and why?

I'm hoping to make it to the next webinar to ask the mighty mr Hogan his views on the matter, to get it from the Oracle so to speak.

Thanks

Joe

Lavallee

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:28 am

That is a good point Joe. I used to sit and was using a foot rest under my right foot. But after a while I thought it was a little inconvenient as if I was away from the foot rest I needed a chair or something to recreate the comfortable position. I saw many people having the guitar resting on the right leg with the leg crossed over the left leg but my leg would get numb after a while. I then try to experiment with my strap. . It is set up so it is close to where my guitar would be positioned if I was using the foot rest. Now the benefit is that wheter I stand or sit (still cannot run however ;) ), the guitar is always at the same position.

Marc

sl83

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Kind of like this:

haoli25

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Good one Greg!!!!!

Lavallee

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm

I am not sure what happened with that picture I thought I had shaved before. Must be a senior moment...:)

Marc

cabro

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:01 pm

I, like Chas, use a strap. I used to lay the curve between bouts on my right leg but had issues with slippage. Then I had issues with putting on some weight. Now I just throw the srap over my head and the guitar stays put.

BigBear

Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:57 pm

I've got terrible guitar posture mostly due to an old football injury that crushed some vertabraes. One thing I learned was how important it is to sit upright, especailly if you are trying to sing. When I slouch, it traps the diaphram and makes it impossible to make any good singing noises!! Then the Golden Retrievers really howl!! :lol:

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:24 am

HOw do I sit, oooo the temptation lol On my A#$!!!

SOmetimes I sit like Neil one leg crossed, other time rest the guitar waist on right leg, I do try to sit up reasonably straight though. I do combine with a strap when I remember to swap it (only got one straplock strap)

AndyT

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:33 am

I learned that the easiest way is to sit straight and adjust your strap so that the guitar is very slightly off your lap. Not touching you. That way when you stand up, it will still be in the same place and you will not have to learn to play it in a different position.

Electric differs a bit.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:39 am

I find myself sitting (on my Ass, like Chas) with guitar resting on my left leg, sometimes with a footrest (mum played Spanish Clasical this way) but I also have the strap on as I find myself moving. Then I get the piece sorted and then I realise I can't play it standing up.... so up I stand (to the great relief of my ass and lower back) and learn to do it standing too (as I'm usually singing too). Then I start feeling more comfortable with it all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic