Restringing Technique

Catman

Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:53 pm

I've just restrung my guitar (Elixir Nanoweb Custom Light 0.11 :) )

I've encountered two schools of thought concerning the restringing sequence:
[ul][li]Remove and replace one string at a time, keeping tension on the neck[/li]
[li]Remove all strings, then restring[/li][/ul]

Which do you think is better, and why?

CatMan

BigBear

Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Catman wrote:
I've just restrung my guitar (Elixir Nanoweb Custom Light 0.11 :) )

I've encountered two schools of thought concerning the restringing sequence:
[ul][li]Remove and replace one string at a time, keeping tension on the neck[/li]
[li]Remove all strings, then restring[/li][/ul]

Which do you think is better, and why?

CatMan
David- always restring one string at a time unless you have work to do in the soundhole or work on frets. I don't think modern guitars will be damaged by a reduction in string tension but why take a chance? I do it one at a time so that I can quickly bring the new string up to the right pitch. You can very quickly get close to the adjacent string and when you are done, use your chromatic tuner to finish up! Quick and easy!

Have fun! :cheer:

sl83

Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:31 pm

I restring my guitar like this: Image

But yeah - you can take all the strings off to clean the fingerboard. I also read somewhere that taking off all the strings (or at least loosening them) is a good idea if you are going to be storing the guitar for a long time - because it won't have all that tension on it.

BigBear

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 pm

sl83 wrote:
I restring my guitar like this:

But yeah - you can take all the strings off to clean the fingerboard. I also read somewhere that taking off all the strings (or at least loosening them) is a good idea if you are going to be storing the guitar for a long time - because it won't have all that tension on it.

Storing your guitar? How can you practice if it's in storage?! LOL! :lol:

By the way, I've never seen a guitar strung that way before. I was always told, probably incorrectly, that you always want your strings to take the most dirrect, meaning straightest, path from the bridge to the tuning pegs? Possibly to minimize wear on the nut. :cheer:

karl01

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 pm

I do one string at a time but every 3 or 4 times I take them all off and oil the fretboard.

quincy451

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Bear, you been had...check out this link:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia ... ging2.html
Yea someone brought there guitar in like with problems tuning it.

But yea frets.com does indicate loosening or removing the stings is good for storing a guitar. I currently have one in that state. Waiting for me to file down the new saddle. I got the nut done a while back and then work...life interrupted the project.

As for the original question of this thread. I generally just take tehm all off and then put the new ones on. I have never seen a guitar have a problem becasue the string where ont on for a short or long period. But that don't mean someeon hasn't had a bridge problem or something like that because all the strings where off. But I would think that is a guitar that was just looking to break.

sl83

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 pm

BigBear wrote:
sl83 wrote:
I restring my guitar like this:

Storing your guitar? How can you practice if it's in storage?! LOL! :lol:

By the way, I've never seen a guitar strung that way before. I was always told, probably incorrectly, that you always want your strings to take the most dirrect, meaning straightest, path from the bridge to the tuning pegs? Possibly to minimize wear on the nut. :cheer:
I do hope you didn't think I was being serious ;)

BigBear

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:18 am

quincy451 wrote:
Bear, you been had...check out this link:

Yea someone brought there guitar in like with problems tuning it.

Wouldn't be the first time I missed the joke!! LOL! :lol:

RicksPick

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:49 am

LoL :laugh:

Hi s183
Seen that pic before lol

Just restrung yesterday, all strings at once for me. always do.
In my lean years when I hardly played, my guitar would be strung in tune for several months without being played.

RicksPick

Chasplaya

Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 am

Frets.com article on stringing advises that its not an issue to take them all off at once, Stating good opportunity to clean fretboard and behind soundhole.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic