G.A.S.

michelew

Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:55 am

I've seen several comments from TGers about "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" and marital relations. I have officially been bitten by the "time for another guitar" bug. The sad part is, we really can't afford a "luxury" purchase right now. But I couldn't sleep thinking of how I could make this happen. I came up with the decision to sell my mid-90's D35 (the first really nice guitar I ever bought).

Even for a trade-in I will still have to come with some cash but not nearly as much as buying from scratch. The D35 is a great dread but it really sits in its case which seems a shame for a great guitar. But, being somewhat of a utilitarian, I'd rather have two guitars that I play than one guitar I play and the other just sit for months at a time.

The guitar I'm looking to get is a Martin OMC16E Maple. It has almost everything I'm looking for: Maple back and sides (want a brighter more articulate tone than my EI Rosewoods), OM body, cutaway, 25.4" scale, 1 3/4" nut, decent onboard electronics, etc. The only slight down side is it's a modified oval neck and I really love the modified V neck.

But anyway in the interest of a happy marriage a parting must take place (with the D35 not the wife!).

eagle670

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:29 am

You won't be disappointed with the Martin OMC 16E Maple. I purchased one second hand about 6 months ago. This is the first really good guitar that I have owned and all I can say is WOW. If I would have been playing on this guitar from the very beginning, I probably would have stuck with it and not had a 20 year lapse. That said, I'm in the same delimma with wanting to purchase a Les Paul guitar. A buddy of mine can get them right now for 10% over cost. That is a great deal that I am deparately trying to take advantage of. Just trying to justify the purchase for the Mrs. is more difficult than coming up with the money. Maybe we need a forum topic for this, I am sure most of the guy's here have had this problem to deal with more than once. Let me know how you like the new guitar.

Kevin

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:48 am

Kevin--Wow! You're the first person who's told me they have this guitar!! I've been on other forums (yes, I admit it I cheat on TG occasionally) and no one yet has owned one. I don't like the idea of buying a guitar without playing it first, but I can't find one anywhere to try out! How do you think it compares to comparable rosewood models in tone and volume, etc.?

I saw someone on youtube playing one in open C--it sounded just like what I want (the guy was a great guitarist too!)

eagle670

Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:19 pm

I felt real lucky to find this guitar. I had played several different brands before this one came up. I played a few Martin's and loved the sound that they produced. but I didn't think that I could afford them. I had actually settled on buying a Takamine, but boy am I glad a waited. This Martin has a real rich, bright tone, good sustainablity, beautiful finish, easy to play and it also has the Eclipse electronics installed. I was skeptical of the small bodied guitars at first, because I was used to playing a full size Dread, but I would put this guitar up against any of them. I would definitely reccommend playing one before you buy, but if that is not possible I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

BigBear

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:04 pm

Greg- you are faced with the age old problem! Your D-35 isn't worth what it shoud be right now but you can probably get the 16E for a bargain, if you can find one. I hate to suggest this but if you want a crisp bright sound have you ever played a Taylor, like 614ce in maple? Taylor is known for their bright forward tone. I went to the guitar shop to buy a Martin D-28 OR 35 and walked out with a Taylor 710 and have been delighted with Taylor ever since. Or go over to Sisters/ Tumalo and check out Breedlove! :cheer:

goldleaf

Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Greg, if you haven't guessed by now, Bear is a big Taylor fan as many other TG'ers are. I brought up the same basic issue as you. I had always thought Martin was what I really wanted but like you I have to sell inventory before I have the clearance to buy my new, exactly what I want guitar. I have to try the Taylor now. I had a dream and Bear was chanting TAR-LOR, TAY-LOR, woke me right up. I have 2 Guild acoustic/elect w/ flotintine cutaway. Both have Spruce top, one has Rosewood S&B the other has Flamed Maple S&B. Rosewood is a beautiful wood but the Maple seems to have more voice, sustain and volume. Neither has been played more that 10 hours although they were made in 2007. It makes it hard to judge buying a new guitar as to what Side and Back to get. I wonder if the Rosewood takes longer to age and open up compared to Maple. I also mentioned starting a forum to discuss how to approach the other half regarding the need for another guitar as it seems to be almost a universal issue. I think you are doing the right thing. We change and our needs and wants do also. Maybe your current Martin has served it's purpose and it's time for someone else to enjoy it while you get that, --Martin but don't discount the Taylor. If Chas were around you would be hearing about Cole Clark also. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Sorry guys, but I've played all kinds of Taylors, Breedloves, Collings, Santa Cruz's, Guilds, and McPhersons, to name but a few. I appreciate Taylors but prefer the depth of a Martin. I want bright trebles but also want them to ring. Collings are awesome but can't afford it right now ($2000 is my limit). I know what I'm getting with a Martin (this would be my third). As for the decision on tonewoods: that decision was made after lots of research, playing different guitars, and talking to lots of different people (including professional builders). My D35 and 000-28EC are both EIR so my next guitar would have to be something else.

goldleaf

Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:25 pm

Greg, I'm with you, like I said I always thought my first new guitar that is really what I want would be a Martin, based on all the review and people I've spoken with, but there are so many Taylor fans on TG. It makes me wonder if Martin is just older news & some of the other Guitars and more fun to talk about. Thanks for the input on tonewoods and the comparison of other guitars. Sounds like you have had lots of experience with various guitars and tonewoods, it must be nice to know what you want for sure. I'm not quite there yet but I've learned alot on TG and some of my own experiences. I'll know more after my visit to the Taylor Factory and Playing some top end guitars when I go to San Diego next week. My first chance to play some top end guitars. Thanks, Gary.

jim56

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:38 pm

Gary--Each time I buy a guitar I find myself better informed about what I want. When I bought the D35 in '95 I didn't know anything about tonewoods or body size, etc. I just knew that Dreadnaughts were popular and the Yamaha I learned on was a Dread, so I figured Dreadnaughts were pretty much the ticket. As I developed my fingerstyle approach I found it too bassy, and then when I discovered the more balanced tone of 000 and OM's it was all over.

I love EIR's rich, chocolatey tone, but sometimes you don't need more chocolate! I think with the OMC16E Maple I will have a stage/studio-ready guitar that more closely approximates the tone I want for some of my music, especially live.

P.S.: I don't dislike Taylors. They are quality guitars with a distinct sound. I just find them a tad too thin. Maybe it's the bolt-on neck.

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:38 pm

He Greg, I know its hard to convinve some diehard Martin and Taylor people to look outside the square but have you looked at this guitar:

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/product_angel.asp

Yeah its a Cole Clark, I strongly recommend these to all, I'd guarantee you would not be disappointed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic