G.A.S.

Catman

Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:46 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
He Greg, I know its hard to convinve some diehard Martin and Taylor people to look outside the square but have you looked at this guitar:

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/product_angel.asp

Yeah its a Cole Clark, I strongly recommend these to all, I'd guarantee you would not be disappointed.
Thanks for the input Chas. The guitar looks very nice. My problems with it would be Rosewood fingerboard (prefer ebony) and Bunya top (I never played one before--how does it compare to Sitka Spruce, Red Spruce, etc.) I actually haven't seen any Cole Clarks in my neck of the woods. My local shop has everything else it seems. If I see one I will definitely try it. Did the metric conversion on the nut width: 44.4 mm = 1.748 inches, that's in my range.

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:00 pm

They also do it in Spruce, my dread is bunya with maple back and sides and it has a very nice sound, as they are relatively new only been in business for about 8years , the aging quality is not well documented. SO far I have had mine around 18months i'm not disappointed , I compare with my Alhambra dread which is here:

http://www.alhambrasl.com/index.php?opt ... 11&lang=en

This is another guitar brand worth looking at. I've had mine for around 5 years and again I just tlove the sound. I played another of theirs this weekend it was a A-Luthier version cost NZ $8500 so definitely out of my range lol but ohh I fell in love with it.

BigBear

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 pm

Chas- I think one of the problems with Cole Clark is that they aren't widely distributed in the US. In fact, I'd never heard of them before you mentioned it. We can see, feel, smell, lick, fondle...you get the idea, all the American and Canadian guitars, plus the East Asian guitars to our heart's content. It's hard to even consider a Kiwi guitar that we can't play! It may be the best guitar on the planet but if we can't test drive it I'd never order one! :cheer:

eagle670

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Just found out a music store in Portland that got an OMC16E Maple shipped to them in Feb. Will call to see if it's still around. It's only a 2 hour drive. Martin Customer Service was right on the ball when I asked if they could tell me where in the Pacific NW I could find one.

BigBear's right about Cole Clark's U.S. distribution. I was aware of them from ads in Acoustic Guitar Magazine (can I mention that here?) and know Jack Johnson plays them, but until I can see, touch, play, smell, and pass one through my large intestine, well, like BigBear said you get the idea...

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:14 pm

BigBear wrote:
Chas- I think one of the problems with Cole Clark is that they aren't widely distributed in the US. In fact, I'd never heard of them before you mentioned it. We can see, feel, smell, lick, fondle...you get the idea, all the American and Canadian guitars, plus the East Asian guitars to our heart's content. It's hard to even consider a Kiwi guitar that we can't play! It may be the best guitar on the planet but if we can't test drive it I'd never order one! :cheer:
North America – Canada
Cole Clark North America
46 Forest Avenue
Hamilton, Ontario,
L8N 1X1, Canada

T: +1 905.525.0323
F: +1 905.525.7943
E: [email protected]

www.coleclark-america.com

North America – USA
Cole Clark North America
Ulrich City Centre, Suite #6
Lockport, New York
14094, U.S.A.

T: +1 905.525.0323
F: +1 905.525.7943
E: info

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:16 pm

Just checked their website: no Oregon USA dealers! Problem!!!!

I have to go either to Walla Walla, WA or San Diego, CA!

BigBear

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:28 pm

gingold wrote:

That's what I thought was the case. We just don't see them here. I'd love to play one just to see what Chas is all fired up about but Walla Walla is a long way from here! And why Walla Walla? I little ag town in the middle of nowhere? Not exactly the music hub of the Pacific Northwest!! Good place for apples though! :lol:

BigBear

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:32 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
They also do it in Spruce, my dread is bunya with maple back and sides and it has a very nice sound, as they are relatively new only been in business for about 8years , the aging quality is not well documented. SO far I have had mine around 18months i'm not disappointed , I compare with my Alhambra dread which is here:

http://www.alhambrasl.com/index.php?opt ... 11&lang=en

This is another guitar brand worth looking at. I've had mine for around 5 years and again I just tlove the sound. I played another of theirs this weekend it was a A-Luthier version cost NZ $8500 so definitely out of my range lol but ohh I fell in love with it.
Checked Alhambra's site too. It looks like they only make mostly J-size guitars (Jumbo) and only one A-size which looks like an 000 or 00 (specs are in metrics). Again, need to play it but have never seen or sniffed one.

BigBear

Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:34 pm

BigBear wrote:
gingold wrote:

Good place for apples though! :lol:
and onions...

I laughed too when I saw that. I'd expect Seattle or Vancouver, but Walla Walla?

And no SF Bay Area dealers! :blink:

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:07 pm

Well who think that eh!! You get a better choice of guitars in little old NZ than America lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic