G.A.S.

AndyT

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:44 am

Man you guys talk a lot. This whole thread manifested in a very short span of time. Well, I'm back now and I am pushing my choices for guitars.

I really like Takamine. I simply love mine. It has the full rich sound it should and it is very easy to play. The neck is really very friendly. It is a bit bassy but I'm about to have it setup for a lighter string to bring out the high end a bit more. It will also make it easier to bend.

My other choice is Babicz. Jeff has created a truly incredible sounding guitar with his 'lateral compression soundboard'. And his continually adjustable neck is nothing short of brilliant. And the Torque Reducing Split Bridge is another marvel. Change your action on the fly with no sanding of the saddle or nut. When I played it the first thing that I heard was all the missing harmonics that you normally only find with a 12 string. The way he has the strings 'spidered' across the soundboard returns a lot of sustain and a greater range of response to the guitar. I strummed a 6 string and heard a 12. Stunning.

http://www.babiczguitars.com/spider.shtml

Music Junkie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 am

I appreciate and enjoy reading everybody's guitar brand preferences. However, the gist of my original post was how to afford it and still stay married. That's cool it morphed into guitar talk (that's why we're all here right?) As for guitar recommendations I am pretty set on what I want. Remember my limit was $2000 (which includes a trade-in), so boutique guitars like Babicz are probably out of my range anyways.

goldleaf

Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 am

Andy, that why this Forum is titled G.A.S., and lots of it. I can say I know alot more about tonewoods then I did before. I did miss Chas for awhile, we had 2or3 pages of guitar talk without hearing Cole Clark, but alas as I told Greg he should be hearing about a certain guitar pretty soon and kazam. Welcome back Chas. Andy glad you had a chance to get in there. Gary

AndyT

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:49 pm

No problem Gary. Thats what I get for doing stuff other then guitars. (Like work). LOL

Greg,
A new Babicz direct from him will run you about $800 - $1,500 depending on model and shipping. You should really try and find a place to play one a see how they sound.

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:53 pm

gingold wrote:
I appreciate and enjoy reading everybody's guitar brand preferences. However, the gist of my original post was how to afford it and still stay married. That's cool it morphed into guitar talk (that's why we're all here right?) As for guitar recommendations I am pretty set on what I want. Remember my limit was $2000 (which includes a trade-in), so boutique guitars like Babicz are probably out of my range anyways.
How I did it , got approval and stayed married was to really really encourage my Wifes hobby, which although once set up does not require large single outlays of cash it requires constant drip feeding... She keeps Tropical Malawi fish. I have a picture of her main tank in my photo album, it holds 1300litres of H20. And also by proving to her that I am improving that helps!! The actual cash thing where does that come from, well we give each other an allowance from our pooled income and then its up to us what we spend it on, I have just about paid off my Cole Clark, (have I mentioned its a great guitar and worth having a look at!!) And now I am starting to look for a nice Electro-Acoustic Classical with cutaway

goldleaf

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:40 am

Greg, you mentioned in one of your answers to me about Bear Claw marks on tonewoods, my Luthier pointed out a couple of places on my Red Spruce top he called bear claw. It looked like a couple places where the grain was smooth, say 1/4" wide 1" long. He said with some European made guitars that the Bear Claw marks are a sought after feature. Sounded pretty wierd to me but since you brought it up what's with Bear Claw and guitar tops. Gary

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:23 pm

The bearclaw or bear claw pattern in a spruce top is caused by runout in the grain of the wood which is usually a bad thing if severe, however the bearclaw pattern is slight and sought after by some guitar builders as having superior tone. The wood looks like something has been scratching on it diagonally but actually there are no scratches. Image

AndyT

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:42 pm

Rick! Quit clawing peoples guitars up! Man! Some peoples children.... :laugh:

goldleaf

Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Greg, thanks for the info. Man that is some major Bear Claw, mine has a few small marks that look similar to the pictures you posted except for much smaller. Hey, just arrived in San Diego so I have to find where SD Old Time Music is. I won't be able to Tour the Taylor factory cause they are closed this week and next Mon so it will have to wait until Tuesday. Thanks for the Bear Claw explanation. Gary

michelew

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:58 am

Update: I received the OMC 16E Maple last week and absolutely love it. Bright, great sustain, and loud (just what I was looking for!)

Greg

P.S.: Gary: Yes, that is an example of pronounced bear clawing. Embarassing moment #1632 in my life: After receiving my first new guitar (Martin D35) many years ago I actually called to complain about the "scratches" on the top. The customer service person then explained bear clawing to me. :blush:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic