Fingerpicking instead of strumming

combo

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:54 pm

So basically:

As long as you hit the base not on the first beat of the chord the rest should solve itself by just playing around with the lower strings the correct amount of times? I guess that as long as you are not trying to catch a specific melody you should just stick to the same arpeggio for the whole song as well?

rcsnydley

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:51 pm

combo wrote:
So basically:

As long as you hit the base not on the first beat of the chord the rest should solve itself by just playing around with the lower strings the correct amount of times? I guess that as long as you are not trying to catch a specific melody you should just stick to the same arpeggio for the whole song as well?

Yes, you could do that. However, try doing the thumb twice and not necessarily on the same string. For example, on a G chord try this:

thumb (p) - 6th string, middle (m) - 2nd string, first (i) - 3rd string, p - 4th string, m - 2nd string, (i) - 3rd string, ring (a) - 1st string, m - 2nd string.

This is played in 4/4 time with straight 8th notes.

This is just one example or an alternate finger picking.

Ric

AndyT

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:22 pm

Lets look at 4/4 time for an example.

A whole note is 4 beats.
Half note = 2 beats
quarter note = 1 beat
8th note = half beat
16th note = quarter beat
32nd note = eighth beat

So, if you are strumming along in 4/4 time you are counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. Those are your strums in 8th notes. If you pick an arpeggio, you need to count the number of picks to fit into your strum pattern. So if you want to play 4 notes instead of one strum, then you have to play 4 32nd notes in the space of 1 quarter note.

Does that make sense to you?

This is a basic way to count it out. Later on I'm sure Neil will get into doublets and triplets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic