Fingerpicking instead of strumming

combo

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:14 am

I often find myself in a position where I would like to fingerpick a song instead of just strumming it. For example if I do not have a pick available (if only I had a dollar for every pick I have misplaced) or just want to make a more folk style version of a more up-tempo song.

However I cannot quite figure out a good way to replace a time strum pattern with a fingerpicking pattern. Anyone have any pointers on that?

willem

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:19 am

combo schreef: [/ b]
[quote] ik vaak dat ik in een positie waar ik wil graag een lied fingerpick plaats van alleen maar te tokkelen. Bijvoorbeeld als ik geen een pick beschikbaar (als ik maar had een dollar voor elke pak ik misplaatst), of gewoon wilt naar een meer folk stijl versie van een meer make-up-tempo song.

Maar ik kan niet helemaal uit te vinden een goede manier om een tijd tokkelen patroon te vervangen door een fingerpicking patroon. Anyone have any pointers op dat? [/ Quote]

i think you must look for the traverspickingstyle,when i understand you, you want a quick picking?? look at the lesson ''dust in the wind''

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:23 am

Combo:

I do the same thing. Forever forgetting to keep a pick in my pocket and then taking my small guitar to soccer practices to play while waiting for practice to end. I have just messed around with some of the patterns that Neil has showed us in the Basic Arpeggios lessons and have had some luck there. Also, just apply some of the same patterns that we use in other fingerpicking songs, and you will find some of them give some great sounds. I think it is really a matter of personal preference. If it sounds good to you, go for it.

MJ

:laugh:

cabro

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:28 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Combo:

I think it is really a matter of personal preference. If it sounds good to you, go for it.

MJ

:laugh:
Good advice, that.

BigBear

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:04 pm

combo wrote:
I often find myself in a position where I would like to fingerpick a song instead of just strumming it. For example if I do not have a pick available (if only I had a dollar for every pick I have misplaced) or just want to make a more folk style version of a more up-tempo song.

However I cannot quite figure out a good way to replace a time strum pattern with a fingerpicking pattern. Anyone have any pointers on that?

Combo- A good way to do this is use your thumb and then two or three fingers to pluck the higher strings at the same time instead of strumming them. Learn to alternate your thumb on the bass notes and then learn to pluck different strings for example don't pluck the high E string every time.

This can lead to a more fingerstyle approach overall. If you can develop some timing with this it sounds really good!

Good luck! :cheer:

combo

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Good advice...

But say I would try a song in 4/4 time, then using a arpeggio such as the one in house of the rising sun or hallelujah would get the song in the wrong timing.

I always learned to count 1 a 2 a 3 a 4 a for regular strumming, how is do you count for fingerpicking? The same way?

cabro

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:28 pm

combo wrote:
Good advice...

But say I would try a song in 4/4 time, then using a arpeggio such as the one in house of the rising sun or hallelujah would get the song in the wrong timing.

I always learned to count 1 a 2 a 3 a 4 a for regular strumming, how is do you count for fingerpicking? The same way?
My guess would be yes except "House" is in 3/4. Don't know about "Hallelujah".

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:33 pm

combo wrote:
Good advice...

Yes, fingerpicking still counts the same way, you just need to figure out what timing it is in and adjust your pattern accordingly. Sometimes it is a cool effect to just "pinch" the strings in whatever time signature you are in as well. Use your thumb to catch the base note, and your index, middle and ring to catch the higher strings. Pluck them all together, or "pinch" them all together. It would be easier to count your time similar to strumming that way.

:)

quincy451

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Yes one of the first things I learned about the guitar was where to put your right hand. I was taught place the thumb on the top string and the 1,2 and 3 fingers on the 3 highest strings. One thing that is nice is arrpegios using different patterns with the 1,2 and 3 fingers on the higher stirngs. Another thing that sounds cool is to alternate the bass string. For example with a G open chord we would pluck low e and then the next bass note would come from the D string instaad.

For me a good song to mess around with these ideas is cats and the craddle. The opening riff and the middle riff is usually tabbed out. But then you are left with a progression of just chords. From there you figure out what you want to do with the right hand.

It's funny this song is capoed at the 8th fret. Which on my guitar sounds really good. Now if my big hands didn't get cramped up playing up there. So it goes. I have also tried the 4th fret. Which is supposed to be ok. But to me is easier on the hands but does not sound as good.

So it goes

rcsnydley

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:41 pm

combo wrote:
Good advice...

Each time you hit a string it is a number (beat) or an "a" (in between the beat) so you may have to hit some strings more than once. Try different patterns as some may fit the feel or sound of the song better.

Ric

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic