Takamine EG523SC

karl01

Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Any comments on the Takamine EG523SC Jumbo. Just played one at L and M's and am thinking of trading up my Tak EG531SSD. Any comments thoughts etc would be welcome ?

Thanks

Karl

AndyT

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:19 am

Have not played that one but Takamines have great necks.

karl01

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Played it againg tonight not sure I like it as much.

goldleaf

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:49 pm

Heard good things about Taks but have only played a few at the local store. You might want to try out the Blueridge br60ce, I was really impressed by the sound unplugged and also through an amp. In the same price range as the Tak you are looking at. I tried a Michael Kelly and a few others and just kept coming back to the Blueridge. Muray's on line sells Martin and Blueridge only and you can hear how they sound compared to other models. Gary.

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:27 pm

I have a Tak FP400S 12string. It is a 95 model and sounds awesome. Harmony central review on the EG523sc give it a 9/10 so thats not a bad review overall for a mid range guitar.

The preamp electrics on this one are basic, but I believe you can interchange the electrics as you can pull the entire unit out quite easily and replace with a higher end set. It does have a built in chromatic tuner which I would find useful

quincy451

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:15 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I have a Tak FP400S 12string. It is a 95 model and sounds awesome. Harmony central review on the EG523sc give it a 9/10 so thats not a bad review overall for a mid range guitar.

The preamp electrics on this one are basic, but I believe you can interchange the electrics as you can pull the entire unit out quite easily and replace with a higher end set. It does have a built in chromatic tuner which I would find useful
Ok nothing much to report on the takamine. But on the switching of electronics. I have been looking into different electronics. and there is slight variances I see from model to model from the same manufacture in the size of the hole required. Which makes quick replacement. Not so workable. This is what I am looking at:
http://artecsound.com/acou/data/EQ_cutting_template.pdf

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:18 am

quincy451 wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

Ok nothing much to report on the takamine. But on the switching of electronics. I have been looking into different electronics. and there is slight variances I see from model to model from the same manufacture in the size of the hole required. Which makes quick replacement. Not so workable. This is what I am looking at:
http://artecsound.com/acou/data/EQ_cutting_template.pdf
If the Tak has the SoundChoice docking port then the preamps can be interchanged on most current models.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:56 am

Hi,
A humble comment about guitars in general ...

I finally decided last year to dump my old guitar and invest in a middle-range one,
max $600 (Canadian).

My daughter's boyfriend (a pro guitarist) was helping me shop, and after comparing the sound of middle and and even very high-end guitars, I loved the Takamine EG360SC and I am still quite happy with it.

However, here is what surprised me:
There were two guitars of this same model on display in the store.
THE GUITARS OF THE SAME MODEL DID NOT SOUND ALIKE.
One had a MUCH MUCH WARMER SOUND (mine!), it WAS NOT the same guitar AT ALL.

So, it follows that I can not confidently advise anyone that a certain model of guitar will sound like mine, and I expect the same applies to any brand of guitar.

We do need some references of course, but I just mean to say that there are no guaranteed recipes.

Cheers

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:45 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi,
A humble comment about guitars in general ...

I finally decided last year to dump my old guitar and invest in a middle-range one,
max $600 (Canadian).

My daughter's boyfriend (a pro guitarist) was helping me shop, and after comparing the sound of middle and and even very high-end guitars, I loved the Takamine EG360SC and I am still quite happy with it.

However, here is what surprised me:
There were two guitars of this same model on display in the store.
THE GUITARS OF THE SAME MODEL DID NOT SOUND ALIKE.
One had a MUCH MUCH WARMER SOUND (mine!), it WAS NOT the same guitar AT ALL.

So, it follows that I can not confidently advise anyone that a certain model of guitar will sound like mine, and I expect the same applies to any brand of guitar.

We do need some references of course, but I just mean to say that there are no guaranteed recipes.

Cheers
A good and pertinent story that applies to all brands of guitar. To get identical sounding guitars would be extremey unlikely, too many factors, e.g. the woods used coming from different places the quality of the workers, the temperatures it has been stored and how it has been handled. You can advise about general points of knowing that the quality control is good, the aftersales service is good the finish is good quality of electrics but you can't advise about the tone, you need to try before you buy and sometimes several of the same model

goldleaf

Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Chas, I'm with you on that point. The more I look at different guitars and play them I'm finding that a good quality guitar say US $600 to $800 can get you a really nice acoustic/electric. It really seems to come down to the combination of woods on a particular guitar and I'm finding that the set up, string height and intonation make more difference than I originally thought. I've played guitars side by side and some guitars just seem to be blessed with the right combo of tonewoods and other factors that make it really ring out but still have bass and sustain comparable to $2000 guitars. It really makes it hard to buy on line without playing. Add to that the fact most good wood guitars will continue to sound better with time and playing and may not sound so good when new??? AH, the life of a guitar player searching for that perfect match. It must be nice to have found the one that you know is what you have been looking for!! Think I'll stop rambling and practice. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic