Playing with Elegance

BigBear

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:17 am

I just read a very interesting article by a very well known guitarist about playing with elegance. Some guitarists just make it look so easy.

This guitarist said that the difference between a good guitarist and a hacker (I'm paraphrasing wildly) is that a hacker lifts all of his fingers off the fretboard before fretting the next chord.

A good guitarist, on the other hand, understands which notes are common to the next chord and only releases the fingers that need to change. And example is changing from C to Am. It is not necessary to lift the whole hand off the fretbaord to make this change. But how many of us do this?

This also fits into Neil's teaching that you fret the notes of a chord in the order you need them not by slamming into them (like I do!).

So when I can play again, I intend to work on this technique! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:44 am

....so then your playing will fit with the Tux you're wearing Bear! Very ellegant. Just stop watching Baseball and going on fishing trips and you'll soon turn into a real gent... just like Chas!

AndyT

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 am

Working on that one myself Rick. And you don't want to be like "Chas. All they do in Kiwiville is drink beer. No wonder they only ride horses. Drunk riding isn't against the law.

BigBear

Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:52 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
....so then your playing will fit with the Tux you're wearing Bear! Very ellegant. Just stop watching Baseball and going on fishing trips and you'll soon turn into a real gent... just like Chas!

I hate baseball!! It's like watching paint dry!! Now the fishing trips; you know how bears and fish go together!

And I don't want to turn into Chas. Look what he does to a perfectly good language! lol! :lol:

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:25 pm

AndyT wrote:
Working on that one myself Rick. And you don't want to be like "Chas. All they do in Kiwiville is drink beer. No wonder they only ride horses. Drunk riding isn't against the law.
Actually drunk riding is still an offence, as far as the beer is concerned you Americans have that one over us as per the following table:

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/graph/f ... onsumption

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic