Tuning Conspiracy

6string

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:56 am

I think its a conspiracy that guitars, ukes, banjos and mandolins are all tuned differently.

BigBear

Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:51 am

6string wrote:
I think its a conspiracy that guitars, ukes, banjos and mandolins are all tuned differently.
Not true my friend. The uke is tuned to several different tunings but is often tuned to the highest four strings of the guitar D-G-B-E. Or to C-tuning G-C-E-A. The G is often tuned an octave higher or lower.

The banjo is usually tuned (usually) to Open G tuning G-B-G-B-D but the guitar is often tuned to this for slack key songs. The mandolin is usually tuned to the E-A-D-G strings.

Like any string instrument there are dozens of different tunings but in general they are tuned pretty close together so they can be played with similar instruments.

Cheers! :cheer:

6string

Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:06 am

BigBear wrote:
6string wrote:
Not true my friend. The uke is tuned to several different tunings but is often tuned to the highest four strings of the guitar D-G-B-E. Or to C-tuning G-C-E-A. The G is often tuned an octave higher or lower.

The banjo is usually tuned (usually) to Open G tuning G-B-G-B-D but the guitar is often tuned to this for slack key songs. The mandolin is usually tuned to the E-A-D-G strings.

Like any string instrument there are dozens of different tunings but in general they are tuned pretty close together so they can be played with similar instruments.

Thanks Bear, I guess the uke is a possibility then, and the mandolin if I get a left handed one and play it right handed. I've heard of 6string banjos tuned like guitars but I'm not sure if they're any good.

AndyT

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:24 am

Do you plan on changing instruments on us?

6string

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:26 am

AndyT wrote:
Do you plan on changing instruments on us?
Not now, maybe someday I'll supplement rather than change.

quincy451

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:14 am

6string wrote:
BigBear wrote:
6string wrote:

Thanks Bear, I guess the uke is a possibility then, and the mandolin if I get a left handed one and play it right handed. I've heard of 6string banjos tuned like guitars but I'm not sure if they're any good.
Yea I saw Howard Bull review one of those. He had basically taken it entirely apart and fixed it up to element a rattle. He was successful. But alas I can't find the video or his personal website at this point. A strange instrument. Sounds like a banjo but plays and tuned like a guitar. Great for crossover guitarist.

goldleaf

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Does anybody know how to explain "Intonation" and how to do it to guitar. My Luither listens to my guitar and somehow can tell the intonation isn't correct so he has to file the side of the saddle. Gary

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:28 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Does anybody know how to explain "Intonation" and how to do it to guitar. My Luither listens to my guitar and somehow can tell the intonation isn't correct so he has to file the side of the saddle. Gary

Intonation literally means to play in good tune. What I think he meant was the tone was not balanced because the treble or bass strings are higher than the others. If he balances (lowers or raises) the saddle he will get the "tone" more balanced so that the strings, when struck evenly, produce an even amount of sound.

This is however, only partially true because the human ear can perceive differences in frequency as volume (among other perceptions) and so trying to get the same perceived volume over the six strings and their relative frequencies is a little dicey! This is particularly important in an acoustic guitar because an electric or amplified acoustic can be equalized to compensate for this imbalance.

But having your saddle/bridge setup correctly is always a good thing regardless of the reason!

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 am

goldleaf wrote:
Intonation, in music, is a musician's realization of pitch accuracy, or the pitch accuracy of a musical instrument.

Acoustic fretted instruments typically have either a floating bridge, held in place by string tension, or a fixed bridge, such as a pin bridge on an acoustic guitar. A luthier or technician adjusts a floating bridge simply by carefully changing its position until the intonation is correct. Adjusting intonation on a fixed bridge involves carefully shaping the bridge saddle with a file to alter the string's contact point.

Another cause of poor intonation on a fretted instrument is that the maker didn't cut the string slots in the nut deep enough. If the string is higher than fret height at the nut, the string deflection-caused pitch increase is progressively greater closer to the nut.

You can check intonation when tuning. The open string fretted at 12 fret should result in the same note on the tuner being displayed on the tuner only octave higher, to adjust most guitars is really for luthier though

rclink

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:30 pm

AHH
You have to tune a Uke' hmm thats why mine sounds weird!!! Just kidding!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic