Broken dropped guitar

Junebug

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:03 pm

I dropped my guitar when I set it down on a stool, and then I accidently kicked the stool, so the guitar dropped onto the floor. The neck is partially detached at the seam between the neck and the body. Can I take it in to the music shop to reglue it and does anyone know how much it would cost, and if they fixed it, would it stay fixed?

Catman

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:21 pm

Sorry to hear about your guitar.

It is most likely repairable. If your music shop doesn't have a repair department that can fix it, they should be able to recommend a luthier.

As to the cost, that depends on the amount of damage. You will need to get an estimate and decide if it worth fixing. If it's repaired by a competent luthier, it will stay fixed.

What guitar is it?

It might be a good idea to invest in a guitar stand. They are not expensive.

quincy451

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 am

Junebug wrote:
I dropped my guitar when I set it down on a stool, and then I accidently kicked the stool, so the guitar dropped onto the floor. The neck is partially detached at the seam between the neck and the body. Can I take it in to the music shop to reglue it and does anyone know how much it would cost, and if they fixed it, would it stay fixed?
Ok one local shop here lists that repair at about $350. That is to reset that neck which is part of what you need. ie. your neck needs to be reglued. Don't know what might be broken or cracked. That could affect price.

The link is here:
http://www.dallasguitarrepair.com/services.html
It is a good link because it shows prices. But I would say from what I seen on here the prices run a little high on this site. I have not used them for anything.

Go here to find a place near you to take it:
http://www.repairmyguitar.com/

Yea like another poster aaid. A guitar stand is a good idea. I use one almost any time I want to set it down and putting it back into the open case is not convenient. Not a opinion with a gigbag...ick...hate those.

But yes you get it professionally repaired and it should be like new. Especially if the glue joint just split. But considering what you got you might also consider placing the guitar as the faster solutiion. Just depends on what it is. If it was one of mine, it would be replacment time. But if you have a 2k to 5k high end instrument...not so much.

AndyT

Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:52 am

What kind of guitar is it?

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:17 am

Ouch sorry to hear about your guitar mate. What brand is it? Would pay to shop around for a good Luthier if its a top end one. HOpe it turns out good for you.

willem

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:44 am

Junebug wrote:

Oooh, yeah man i feel with you, but you never set it down on a stool again,and i mean it when i say i feel with you and the guitar ofcourse,hope they can fix it.....

goldleaf

Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Depending on the price range of the guitar, whether it is worth spending appx $300 US and if you are handy with tools might determine your decision. If it is less than $300 new you might CONSIDER - reglueing it yourself. You said it is "partially split". You MAY be able to get some good wood glue and apply the glue into the split. You would have to make sure the neck is straight in line with the body and find a method for clamping or setting the neck in place while it sets up. Just a thought if it is not worth spending $300. Also I think you may find other damage i.e. the fretboard if the neck was hit with that much force which would increase cost to get repaired. Anyway, sorry to hear the bad news and best of luck with your outcome. Gary

quincy451

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:34 am

goldleaf wrote:
Depending on the price range of the guitar, whether it is worth spending appx $300 US and if you are handy with tools might determine your decision. If it is less than $300 new you might CONSIDER - reglueing it yourself. You said it is "partially split". You MAY be able to get some good wood glue and apply the glue into the split. You would have to make sure the neck is straight in line with the body and find a method for clamping or setting the neck in place while it sets up. Just a thought if it is not worth spending $300. Also I think you may find other damage i.e. the fretboard if the neck was hit with that much force which would increase cost to get repaired. Anyway, sorry to hear the bad news and best of luck with your outcome. Gary
Yes if you were to go with a do it yourself option I would start by gathering information on what adhesive to use, and how to clamp it so it is straight and tight at frets.com. From there you can go to stewmac.com. From the two of them you can get an idea what approach a lurther would use. From there you can make substituations by checking out harborfreight.com. You see stewmac.com is ideal if you want to repair lots of intruments, but expensive otherwise.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic