Taylor 30th Anniversary Grand Concert

rbrisson

Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:26 pm

There are a ton of excellent guitars under a grand. I once had one of those black Martin acoustic-electrics (the 00CXAE) to use as a travel guitar, and it was one of the best $350 I ever spent (it retails for $650, but I got it on a "Black Friday" Guitar Center sale).

But while these guitars play really well, they are largely machine-manufactured overseas in large factories, and you can tell: sharper edges, a tad rougher workmanship, wider tolerances, etc etc. And you can tell these instruments have not seen much in the way of actual human contact in their manufacturing. I once won a Taylor 210 model in one of those Taylor Giveaway contests, and there was quite a difference in the craftsmanship in comparison to their more expensive model lines. I know Taylor has a manufacturing facility in Mexico for its Baby Taylors, but I'm not sure what other models are built there.

dennisg

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:37 am

According to Taylor's web site, they build their 110, 210, and guitar cases in Mexico. Everything else is manufactured in So. Cal.

- Beefy D

MarkM

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:54 am

A little more love for Taylor. I've got a 2008 DN4. Sitka top with Ovangkol back and sides. Love the tone. At the time I was looking at rosewood but wanted a bit more sound from the mids. After many a long day test driving some sweet guitars I decided on this as it had the tone I was looking for. Love the playability of the neck (can't seem to get that feel anywhere else but with Taylor). Now I'm looking at the BTO program to see if I can come up with something that will inspire me to learn to fingerpick. Something a bit smaller with light strings but with rosewood this time. Maybe a GS or GA. Oh don't get me started on the 12 string models.....I'd love to snag one of those as well.

__m__

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:57 pm

So, you guys are saying I need to ditch my trusty Alvarez and buy a real guitar, huh? I see. (totally joking btw ;) )

AndyT

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't know what the big deal with Taylor is... Takamine is twice the guitar at half the price.

;)

dennisg

Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:06 am

AndyT wrote:
I don't know what the big deal with Taylor is... Takamine is twice the guitar at half the price.

;)
Hey, Andy, you should immediately contact the site administrators. Some maniac hijacked your TG account and left the most hilarious post.

- Beefy D

dennisg

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:02 am

Have you looked at the prices of the high end Takamines lately? That would make for a really expensive Taylor.

They are good guitars though. I had a 1992 Ltd Edition that I still regret parting with.

BigBear

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:21 am

AndyT wrote:

;)

Only someone who has never owned one could make that silly statement!! LOL!

If you aren't careful you may persuade Chas to take that shining new Taylor off his Santa list!!! :laugh:

Chasplaya

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:13 pm

BigBear wrote:
AndyT wrote:

;)

Only someone who has never owned one could make that silly statement!! LOL!

If you aren't careful you may persuade Chas to take that shining new Taylor off his Santa list!!! :laugh:
i'm not too proud not to accept a shining new Taylor, I note you are wearing the Santa costume Bear, does that mean I can expect a Santa gift from Oregon?

Jimmer

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Have to admit... the first time I played a Taylor I came away very, very impressed. I picked up one of their classical models and it played like a dream - everything I tried, sounded better than I had ever played it before. The ONLY thing I didn't like (and yes, it's picky) was the shape of the cutaway - Florentine, I think they call it. It left the guitar with an 'unbalanced' appearance to me, and my personal opinion is that if I'm going to spend THAT much for a guitar, it's going to be as close to perfect - both in sound and appearance - as I can get.

In thinking about it, it may have been the short scale (24 3/4") that made it play so well for me.

I don't have my 'perfect' guitar yet - not even sure what it will be - but in the meantime, I'm loving my Epiphone Masterbilt... for about a third of what the Taylor cost...

> Jimmer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic