Taylor 30th Anniversary Grand Concert

BigBear

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:07 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
BigBear wrote:
AndyT wrote:
I don't know what the big deal with Taylor is... Takamine is twice the guitar at half the price.

;)

Only someone who has never owned one could make that silly statement!! LOL!

If you aren't careful you may persuade Chas to take that shining new Taylor off his Santa list!!! :laugh:
i'm not too proud not to accept a shining new Taylor, I note you are wearing the Santa costume Bear, does that mean I can expect a Santa gift from Oregon?

Chas- Only if you've been a really good boy this year! If you don't get anything from Santa you can pretty well figure that you screwed up somewhere along the line!!! LOL! :laugh:

dennisg

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 pm

Jimmer wrote:
[quote]Have to admit... the first time I played a Taylor I came away very, very impressed. I picked up one of their classical models and it played like a dream - everything I tried, sounded better than I had ever played it before. The ONLY thing I didn't like (and yes, it's picky) was the shape of the cutaway - Florentine, I think they call it. It left the guitar with an 'unbalanced' appearance to me, and my personal opinion is that if I'm going to spend THAT much for a guitar, it's going to be as close to perfect - both in sound and appearance - as I can get.

In thinking about it, it may have been the short scale (24 3/4") that made it play so well for me.

I don't have my 'perfect' guitar yet - not even sure what it will be - but in the meantime, I'm loving my Epiphone Masterbilt... for about a third of what the Taylor cost...

> Jimmer

Jimmer

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Not sure if this is a Venetian or a Florentine cutaway - I just know I don't like it. I think it's on all their NSx2 series guitars. The NSx4 series is better, but still odd-looking to me...

http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Ac ... on/NS32ce/

> Jimmer

Chasplaya

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Jimmer wrote:
[quote]Not sure if this is a Venetian or a Florentine cutaway - I just know I don't like it. I think it's on all their NSx2 series guitars. The NSx4 series is better, but still odd-looking to me...

http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Ac ... on/NS32ce/

> Jimmer

BigBear

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:12 am

Jimmer- The Florentine cutaway is only standard on one guitar, the Doyle Dykes Signature model, but it can be ordered on any guitar from the 500 series up. It's a pretty pricey option.

I don't believe any of Taylor's nylon-stringed guitars are built with Florentine cutaways so the guitar you played was almost certainly a Venetian cutaway.

Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:22 am

MarkM wrote:
A little more love for Taylor. I've got a 2008 DN4. Sitka top with Ovangkol back and sides. Love the tone. At the time I was looking at rosewood but wanted a bit more sound from the mids. After many a long day test driving some sweet guitars I decided on this as it had the tone I was looking for. Love the playability of the neck (can't seem to get that feel anywhere else but with Taylor). Now I'm looking at the BTO program to see if I can come up with something that will inspire me to learn to fingerpick. Something a bit smaller with light strings but with rosewood this time. Maybe a GS or GA. Oh don't get me started on the 12 string models.....I'd love to snag one of those as well.
I agree with you Mark, the Ovangkol wood makes for a beautiful tone.

Andy, it's time to lay off the communion wine there mate! ;)

Bear, if you are sending Chas a Taylor for Christmas best send it via Australia so I can check it wasn't damaged in transit. I'll then be sure to forward it to NZ.

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:26 am

tovo wrote:
MarkM wrote:
Andy, it's time to lay off the communion wine there mate! ;)

Bear, if you are sending Chas a Taylor for Christmas best send it via Australia so I can check it wasn't damaged in transit. I'll then be sure to forward it to NZ.
If Bear were to get me a Taylor I'd probably arrange to go collect, not that I don't trust you Tovo, just not sure the shackle marks have worn off yet! I might need to visit one day to check !!

tovo

Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:53 am

Indeed thieving is in our collective blood. You will be most welcome to slip across the pond and pay a visit, bring your own whiskey! We can do a duet of "Donald where's yer troosers" or something of that nature.

I know..WAY of topic. Apologies. My part of the duet would be performed on a Taylor...back on topic.

AndyT

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:46 am

I'm not Catholic so we only use Grape Juice. But I did have a Cola beforehand. LOL

I have yet to meet the Taylor that sways me. I've played a few in stores and they simply do not make me want one. They are great guitars, just not my style.

Since Gracie is a Gibson copy, maybe I need to look there for something. Although I'm not really excited with what I see on their website.

I played a Composite Acoustic in Hilo on one of my big island trips and it felt really good in my hands and the neck was seriously sweet. Just a touch wider than Gracie's. If I had the money, I'd already have it. It really impressed me. The only other guitar that's really made me take notice was the Fender F5. It was the first Fender I've ever liked.

rbrisson

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:02 am

I own a Dan Crary Signature Model, and I got it with a Florentine cutaway. Here's a picture of it:
http://www.blumenbach.info/_/TaylorBose.JPG
As someone already noted, it's strictly a matter of personal taste, but I do prefer the sharp curves of the Florentine over the more rounded Venetian (which was pictured in that NS32ce shown earlier). The DCSM is a big dreadnought, but the Florentine adds some graceful lines that I really like.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic