Taylor 30th Anniversary Grand Concert

Jimmer

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 am

Thanks guys... I'm clear on the diffrences/names of the types of cutaways now, but have another question: does anyone know of another mid-to-high level guitar company that does the short scale (24.75" vs. 25.5") that Taylor does? I think I'd like to seriously look at a short scale to see if it makes any difference for me...

BigBear

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:59 am

Jimmer wrote:
Thanks guys... I'm clear on the diffrences/names of the types of cutaways now, but have another question: does anyone know of another mid-to-high level guitar company that does the short scale (24.75" vs. 25.5") that Taylor does? I think I'd like to seriously look at a short scale to see if it makes any difference for me...

Jimmer- one company you may want to check out is Breedlove. They make beautiful instruments here in Central Oregon and have recently introduced several guitar series that us "commoners" can afford.

I think I read somewhere that they make, or can make, short scale guitars. I know they make some of the smaller OOO and other "O" sizes.

Here's a link: http://breedlovemusic.com/

Also, check out Larrivee. I have a Larrivee L-10e custom and I absolutely love it. It is every bit the equal of a Taylor 900 series guitar for slightly less money. They too have several lower cost models. Here's their link:

http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/index.php

Good luck with your search! Doing the research is half the fun of getting the "right" guitar!

Cheers! :cheer:

Max

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:52 pm

My Taylor is a 912ce, got it used about 5 years ago.

BigBear

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:08 pm

Max wrote:
My Taylor is a 912ce, got it used about 5 years ago.

Max- how do you like it? Have you seen what they go for today? Bob Taylor sure doesn't give them away does he? LOL!

rbrisson

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:39 pm

There's been a few comments on the cost of Taylor guitars, and here's one way you can think about cost vs. personal value for a guitar:

I've owned my Taylor for over a dozen years now, and since that time I've played it for, literally, thousands of hours. It's still like new, so I hope to put in many more thousands of hours in the coming years. A single "hot" evening of guitar playing, alone or with friends, is more valuable to me than most any other kind of entertainment, certainly more than going to a movie or seeing a local cultural event.

So let's say that single evening of guitar playing was worth $20 of "entertainment". Since I play several times a week, you can do the math to easily calculate that I've gotten my $3500 worth several times over... and I still have a long ways to go. How important was that $3500 over the past twelve years? Well, it would be hard for me to imagine those years without my Taylor, it really has become a part of my life. My Taylor, along with my MacBook Pro, would be the two things I'd want on that deserted island more than anything else (well, a solar panel would also be nice...).

When I do finally decide to sell the guitar many years down the road, you can bet it will be worth near as much as what I paid for it, if not more. Not a bad investment of one's money, I'd say.

tovo

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:25 pm

rbrisson wrote:
There's been a few comments on the cost of Taylor guitars, and here's one way you can think about cost vs. personal value for a guitar:

I've owned my Taylor for over a dozen years now, and since that time I've played it for, literally, thousands of hours. It's still like new, so I hope to put in many more thousands of hours in the coming years. A single "hot" evening of guitar playing, alone or with friends, is more valuable to me than most any other kind of entertainment, certainly more than going to a movie or seeing a local cultural event.

So let's say that single evening of guitar playing was worth $20 of "entertainment". Since I play several times a week, you can do the math to easily calculate that I've gotten my $3500 worth several times over... and I still have a long ways to go. How important was that $3500 over the past twelve years? Well, it would be hard for me to imagine those years without my Taylor, it really has become a part of my life. My Taylor, along with my MacBook Pro, would be the two things I'd want on that deserted island more than anything else (well, a solar panel would also be nice...).

When I do finally decide to sell the guitar many years down the road, you can bet it will be worth near as much as what I paid for it, if not more. Not a bad investment of one's money, I'd say.
Good post mate and I like your logic. I love my Taylor and it's worth every cent I forked out for it, in fact because it was a not insignificant amount and I needed to sacrifice a little to get it, it means even more to me. I've had mine nowhere near 12 years but I expect I will and will probably add another along the way.

reiver

Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Also, the costs are not all one way. Apparently they'll pay $250,000 for a (one) Koa tree. You need to sell a lot of guitars to make that back.

r

BigBear

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:00 pm

reiver wrote:
Also, the costs are not all one way. Apparently they'll pay $250,000 for a (one) Koa tree. You need to sell a lot of guitars to make that back.

r
WOW! I had no idea koa was that costly! Makes Brazilian Rosewood look like a bargain! :cheer:

reiver

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:11 pm

BigBear wrote:
reiver wrote:

r
WOW! I had no idea koa was that costly! Makes Brazilian Rosewood look like a bargain! :cheer:

the footsteps you can hear in the background are Andy running out to check his garden......... :laugh:

dennisg

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:28 pm

C'mon, Andy, somewhere in between all your Maui-Wowee plants, there's gotta be a koa sprig growing!

- Dennis (in Seattle)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic