Taylor 30th Anniversary Grand Concert

Chasplaya

Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:42 am

reiver wrote:
Also, the costs are not all one way. Apparently they'll pay $250,000 for a (one) Koa tree. You need to sell a lot of guitars to make that back.

r
This is one reason I bought a Cole Clark they are made entirely from sustainable native Australian timbers.

dennisg

Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:22 am

Here's an interesting story on wood conservation I saw on the Taylor site:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/fe ... servation/

- Dennis (in Seattle)

Jimmer

Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Bear... I'll be checking out Breedlove and Larrivee. Have heard of them, but never held a representative sample. I'm a nylon sring player (just like the sound better for my kinda music), so my search may not be easy... :-)

johnrfeeney

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:35 pm

have to admit, own a Martin D-35 and love it
the first one I owned I purchased in 1973 in Mannny's in NYC - sold it to buy my wife a wedding ring

wasn't able to get another one until 2000

Buttttt - should never have played the Taylor's at Guitar Center - have never been the same and really don't have the buck's to get one

maybe one day

frybaby

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:59 am

Suum Cuique -

Here’s my story, first real guitar was 1972 Guile D-35 solid mahogany arched back.

That was one beautiful guitar. Sold it to a friend and bought other friends Guild Cherry Burst D 45 back in 1976.

The D-45 just sounded and played better. Still have the D-45

Later obtained a solid black Alverez. not sure of the model number. the action on this guitar at the time was the best ever, but it had some laminated wood, so the sound just wasn’t there.

D-45 was my main guitar until I fell in love with the Taylor Grand Concert C 514- Cedar top-mahogany back and sides back in 2006.

A purest at heart I did not want a “barn door” cut in the side for the on board electronics they were doing then.

Later Taylor came out with a less intrusive electronic system that only required 3 small holes in the side a nice system, but by then they had changed the cosmetics on the newer 514 models, and I wanted what the earlier models had.

Got what I wanted when after a year or more of searching I found a 1997 514C, with abalone rosette, ebony fret board with “snowflake fret markers” ( instead of dots), 1 ¾ neck ( a bit wider than the 1 11/16 Guild neck) perfect for finger picking, and tortuous binding , and gold machines.

She is a beauty for sure. Love the smaller body size and the Venetian cut away.
In my opinion it the sexiest body style around. (Guitar body that is).

The sound of course of the two is quite different.

Lost some base response the Taylor, but gained some volume and resonance and a lot of brightness.

Took me quite a while to tone her down with the right strings to my liking.
But I love’m both, play them both, depending on my mood, playing style and song.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure, but there it is.

Max

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:22 pm

BigBear wrote:
Max wrote:
My Taylor is a 912ce, got it used about 5 years ago.

Max- how do you like it? Have you seen what they go for today? Bob Taylor sure doesn't give them away does he? LOL!
Bear, I finally figured out how to post a picture, so it's back there now. I love this guitar, soooo easy to play and sounds great when I hit the right notes.
I think this guitar was built by an employee of Taylor for personal use, part of the model number inside the guitar is: CG-Cust. I know that the normal top for these 912's is Sitka Spruce, but I think mine is Red Cedar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic