What do you use to clean your guitar?

heyjoe

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Hello all

I've got a feeling this may have been asked before, but if no, here goes, what do you use to clean your guitar? I've been using a product by a very famous company ( can't say who...but begins with M), and it leaves a film of what can only be called crap all over the guitar, so its been binned, and I now need to get some decent cleaning gear.

So, do you use anything in particular, special cloths? special guitar cleaning kit? let me know please as I'm looking to keep my guitar in pristine condition.

Thanks

Joe

wrench

Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:02 pm

heyjoe,

If you are referring to that gorgeous Yammie APX, it has polyurethane finish, and it is pretty tough. But depending on which M********* product left the residue, it might be abrasive.

In order to remove it safely, you need to lift the residue from the surface, then remove it. I recommend working in small sections, use a fine spray of water mist, let it sit for a minute so the residue floats to the top of the water, then wipe it off lightly with a microfiber cloth. After the entire guitar is done, discard the microfiber cloth and wipe it down again with a new one. Make sure you remove all of the moisture in the final wipedown. The deal with microfiber is that holds what it picks up just below the tips of its fibers. If you try to re-use the towel that removed abrasive residue, you will be rubbing the same abrasive onto the surface.

If that doesn't get it clean enough, gingold mentioned Gerlitz guitar cleaning products in another thread. Gerlitz is top-drawer, and used with high praise by many music professionals.

For maintenance cleaning, I wipe my guitars with a clean dry microfiber cloth each time I play, and I have not yet had to resort to adding water. I also clean the fretboard with lemon oil at string changes about once a month. I apply it with a lint-free paper shop towel, then rub it dry with a clean one. My guitars are Yamahas with the same PU finish as your APX.

wrench

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:56 am

Hey Heyjoe,

Have a look at this site lots of really good advice on guitar cleaning. You can't beat regular huff of breath and good old elbow grease mate.

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Ge ... ing01.html

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 am

I've used Martin Guitar Polish for 30+ years and I love it. It doesn't leave any residue and polishes to a bright luster (lustre for Chas!). :cheer:

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:02 am

BigBear wrote:
I've used Martin Guitar Polish for 30+ years and I love it. It doesn't leave any residue and polishes to a bright luster (lustre for Chas!). :cheer:
Is that not sacrilige using Martin product on a Taylor lol

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:05 am

Chasplaya wrote:
BigBear wrote:
Is that not sacrilige using Martin product on a Taylor lol

I thought about that but since Taylor doesn't make any cleaning products I had to go to Plan B! :cheer:

heyjoe

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 am

Wrench wrote:
If you are referring to that gorgeous Yammie APX, it has polyurethane finish, and it is pretty tough. But depending on which M********* product left the residue, it might be abrasive.

In order to remove it safely, you need to lift the residue from the surface, then remove it. I recommend working in small sections, use a fine spray of water mist, let it sit for a minute so the residue floats to the top of the water, then wipe it off lightly with a microfiber cloth. After the entire guitar is done, discard the microfiber cloth and wipe it down again with a new one. Make sure you remove all of the moisture in the final wipedown. The deal with microfiber is that holds what it picks up just below the tips of its fibers. If you try to re-use the towel that removed abrasive residue, you will be rubbing the same abrasive onto the surface.

If that doesn't get it clean enough, gingold mentioned Gerlitz guitar cleaning products in another thread. Gerlitz is top-drawer, and used with high praise by many music professionals.

For maintenance cleaning, I wipe my guitars with a clean dry microfiber cloth each time I play, and I have not yet had to resort to adding water. I also clean the fretboard with lemon oil at string changes about once a month. I apply it with a lint-free paper shop towel, then rub it dry with a clean one. My guitars are Yamahas with the same PU finish as your APX.
Hi Wrench

Yes I am talking about my APX500, glad you like it. My wife bought it for me, I saw it, played a couple of chords, and knew it was for me, she bought it as a present on the spot.

I've used your idea of a microfibre cloth, and combined it with a Chasplaya's idea of good old breath and it looks so much better, the residue is gone, and the guitar is lovely and shiny

Thanks for all the help guys, I have a sparkling guitar now (which is about to get played shortly and will need cleaning again, ah the joys of guitar ownership)

Joe

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Joe- it sounds like you have a lovely wife!! Any wife that buys her husband a guitar is first-rate in my book! Doesn't even matter if she can cook or ahem!! :blush:

Congrats!! :cheer:

heyjoe

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Bear,

She certainly can cook, certainly can ahem, and did I mention she's 12 years younger than me...

..I didn't..well she is...:laugh:

...for this years present she bought me a track day driving an Aston Martin db9, and a few laps as a passenger in a ferrari with a professional racing driver driving.

yup, life is good! I'm a lucky man

:laugh:

Joe

haoli25

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Does she have a sister Joe? :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic