Tips for "performing"?

tovo

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Terry thanks mate so much for that. It's early morning here, just got up for my practice session and so my day has started really well thanks to you. Your story is terrific in terms of what can be learned from it and also reverberates with me because Classical Gas is my long-term ambition so I draw some inspiration from your success. Thanks so much.

Haoli, that also sounds like damn fine advice! Thanks a lot for sharing it.

Tony

goldleaf

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Terry, great story and better ending. You clearly have practiced some songs to the point where you know them in your sleep. It's really cool the way a lot of us are breaking out the guitar and started doing what we wanted to many years ago and are finally now being sucessful at it. I think TG deserves a big part of the credit. Good lesson for lots of us. Thanks. Gary

tovo

Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 pm

goldleaf wrote:
It's really cool the way a lot of us are breaking out the guitar and started doing what we wanted to many years ago and are finally now being sucessful at it. Thanks. Gary
Nice thought Gary.

Terry just wanted to add how cool it was that you posted the Tommy clip. I was really worried that practising the same song over and over until I have it down was being a bit narrow, but that clip reinforces that it's the way to go. It's great to have my approach reinforced like that. Thanks so much.

wrench

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:45 pm

terrynewton wrote:

Tovo,

What a timely question, check this out.

I played "Classical Gas" for the first time in front of about i5 of my friends last night at a little dinner party. It really wasn't my choice to play for them, but My wife was bragging and bragging about my learning and practicing it, and everyone wanted to hear it. What was I to do?? all eyes were on me. Well, the first problem was that we weren't at my house, and of course I did not have "MY" guitar. Well--------the 14 year old son of my friend has a guitar that had not been played for months, and he ran of in a dash to get it. Boy, it was so far out of tune I didn't think I would ever get it tuned. But I finely did. (Too Bad for me, now I had to play).

I broke the ice with playing "Here comes the Sun" and it went OK because I have that one down pretty well. So, having practiced it over and over and then posting it for Neil and others to take a look at made it easy to do. I knew I could play it and that made a big difference.

Now all were waiting for "Classical Gas' and this one I am planing to post this week. But still, I haven't played it in front of anyone, except playing along with Neil on the play through, and with Mason Williams on You-Tube.

Was I ready?? I guess I will find out. I closed my eyes and imagined I was in my practice room by myself. That was still tough, because I was sure I wasn't in my office and if I opened my eyes they would still be there. So I peaked and sure enough---they were!! So I said to myself--"Self" Quite stalling and do what you have practiced to do and put everything you love into the song.

The next thing that happened was amazing. I started off and nailed the intro, which was important to me, because I knew if I can do the easiest part without a mistake, then the rest might just follow the same coarse. Well, with eyes closed for most of the song and trying to put my love for this song into my playing, I went thought with only a couple of mistakes and was done in no time. The look on the faces of some of my friends I will never forget as long as I live. It was a look of astonishment, for a lack of a better word.

They knew I played some guitar, but this blew them away. One of the group said to me on the way out, "I could not believe what I was hearing, I have no idea you were that good, I was very surprised, great job." And these friends have know me for 20 or so years now.

I can only say, thank you Neil and TG. Without you I would never have been able to do that. What an event to remember. That is the one song I have always wanted to play but believed I would never be able to.

But back to your question. The most important thing I would say is to practice to the point that you can play the songs you learning in your sleep. When I learn a new song. I play it - and only it - every time I practice. That advice came from Tommy Emmanuel at the following you-tube link. I though I would try it and it paid off last night. I was so glad I had put so much time into it.

I hope you don't mine me giving this experience, but your question was at the top of my list last night. Great question.

Thanks,

Terry B)[/quote]

Terry,

Mind sharing this experience? Are you kidding? THANK YOU for the tip!

Didn't we all start playing because of feelings?

wrench

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Great post Terry, thanks for sharing that! Brave man taking on an unknown guitar to play Classical Gas. Great case study on performance in less than "safe" circumstances.

terrynewton

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:50 pm

tovo wrote:
goldleaf wrote:
It's really cool the way a lot of us are breaking out the guitar and started doing what we wanted to many years ago and are finally now being sucessful at it. Thanks. Gary
Nice thought Gary.

Terry just wanted to add how cool it was that you posted the Tommy clip. I was really worried that practicing the same song over and over until I have it down was being a bit narrow, but that clip reinforces that it's the way to go. It's great to have my approach reinforced like that. Thanks so much.
Tovo--glad it helped. It does take time away from other songs, but if you want to learn it you just have to do the "TIME".

Terry B)

AndyT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:16 am

Terry,
Thanks for the story and the Tommy clip. Karma to you for posting them both. Top quality info and inspiration.

Everyone;
Who said this? (The original version... LOL)

"Perfection is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:13 am

AndyT wrote:
Terry,
Thanks for the story and the Tommy clip. Karma to you for posting them both. Top quality info and inspiration.

Everyone;
Who said this? (The original version... LOL)

"Perfection is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."
This just might be Thomas Edison... Genius is 1% INspiration and 99% Perspiration is also credited as is...Success is 10% Inspiration an 90 % perspiration

AndyT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:15 am

Give the man a CeeGar! (Sorry, no smoking allowed).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic