Picks for acoustic guitars

goldleaf

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:08 pm

I just dropped off 2 guitars at my Luthiers to have set up & intonated. He played one of them with a different pick than I've ever seen. He said it was a Weger made in Austria I believe it was. I looked them up on google and found quite a few dealers in the US. They cost around $15 US or $20 for 3 or 4 picks. My luthier told me that the pick really pulls the sound out of a guitar?? I could use that, if in fact it works as represented. Anyone aware of these picks and have any recommendations for or against them. Gar

http://www.wegenpicks.com/

Here you go. Wegen picks up to 5 mm custom made or chose from a variety of designs and materials. Draws the sound right out of your guitar?? Check them out. Gary

11/11/09 - I just ordered 3 different types of Wegen picks and another $8 Big Horn pick. Let you all know how bad I got taken when they arrive. They say they are supposed to sound as close to Tortus shell as any other material, so I guess Tortus shell must be the best?? Gary

BigBear

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:05 pm

goldleaf wrote:
I just dropped off 2 guitars at my Luthiers to have set up & intonated. He played one of them with a different pick than I've ever seen. He said it was a Weger made in Austria I believe it was. I looked them up on google and found quite a few dealers in the US. They cost around $15 US or $20 for 3 or 4 picks. My luthier told me that the pick really pulls the sound out of a guitar?? I could use that, if in fact it works as represented. Anyone aware of these picks and have any recommendations for or against them. Gary

Sorry buddy, I don't buy it! There is a reason that pick technology is where it is today. Because it works. I'll bet there have been hundreds of different materials that have been made into picks. Some different sounding than others. Bone, ivory, plastic, brass, resin, wood and on and on. They all impart a slightly different sound but actually "pulling the sound" out of a guitar? Any object that causes the strings to vibrate without muting them will pull the sound out.

Sounds like a good way to sell very expensive picks! Cheers! :cheer:

RicksPick

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:58 am

Hi Gary
I once herd that Turtle shell is the best material to use for a pick ??
Not sure where from thou'
Or why

RicksPick

AndyT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:49 am

I'm with Bear on this one. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:20 am

RicksPick wrote:
Hi Gary
I once herd that Turtle shell is the best material to use for a pick ??
Not sure where from thou'
Or why

RicksPick
Tortoise shell was once very common. Until the TRAGOA got involved

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:21 am

For unusual picks check this link out

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 729271.htm

If at all superstitious don't buy these for yourself.

Native NZ Maori believe that Jade should always be given as good luck, but if you buy it yourself it can be bad luck. And No Andy i'm not buying you one!!

heyjoe

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 am

How about you buy us all one Chas? Or you buy Neil one, he plays it on a webinar and then gives it away as a prize?:P

AndyT

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:42 am

I would never ask you to buy me one! I'm shocked!
Besides, That's Bear's privledge.... ;)

goldleaf

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:39 pm

There are a lot of dealers selling these Weger picks and they have a large assortment of sizes and shapes. I should have asked my Luthier to let me try his pick out. I agree $20 for 3 or 4 picks is an expensive pick. My Luthier must be making some good $$$ to afford to buy $5 picks. But it "Pulls the sound out of the guitar" kinda like a magician pulls a rabbit out of a hat I guess. I'll probably end up buying a set just cause they are there. When you see me pulling sound out of my guitar on a vid, then we'll see who the joke is on!! Gary

goldleaf

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:45 pm

Bear, Rick, Andy Chas Joe (did I forget someone) if they work just send me a self addressed envelope and I'll send you one, just let me know if you want black or white. Big time spender. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic