Video posting concern

wrench

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:41 pm

So Matt, grok means what exactly?.....

Hey guys, Marc expressed a concern, and a valid one, but this is an issue on which you really need to focus your perspective. Specifically, I mean identify the competitors.

First of all, I want to emphatically say to anyone who wants to post and has not, DO IT! But know that it probably won't be your best performance. But that's OK because if you do everything right, how will you know where you need to improve? If you choose to post and make it a competition, compete with yourself, and be a good sport about it. I seriously don't think the TG Community or TG Admin will allow any friction to come of these posts.

I think Marc was saying posters need to encourage non-posters to become posters. That's my story - I'm sticking to it.

wrench

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Mental Coaching: Well, I would say this.... Robert Fritz (The Path of Least Resistance), talks about the importance of knowing two things.1) Where you stand now, and 2) where you want to be. You have to be (brutally) clear and honest about where you stand and how things are NOW to be able to move to where you want be. Once you are clear about what IS, you can move to what you want to create (the path of least resistance flows in that direction). So honest and accurate and (even hard) feedback is required to really see where you stand. In my experience, most people are much harder on themselves than others will be with them. Looking for as many clear and untainted mirrors around you is the best way to see what IS and move on to where you want to go. Those mirrors are here on TG.

Another point I'd make is: What you think is what you get. So you get to be right what ever you think. You choose your thoughts. Even if you are not aware of it. It's you doing the choosing (thinking).

End of seminar. ;)

TGMatt

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:54 pm

I can feel a firewalk coming along....(new versions where we have to strum guitars whilst muttering coolmoss)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:01 pm

TGMatt wrote:
I can feel a firewalk coming along....(new versions where we have to strum guitars whilst muttering coolmoss)
Yeah, and we make the fire from all the bum notes and wrong chords we have written down on paper to burn and vanish with all our past fumblings as we glide across the scorching coals with heads held high and feet cool and clean walking to the light and one true chord.... :ohmy:

BigBear

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:34 pm

tovo wrote:
Way off topic I know but you DO know Chacho that Matt is Australian right? An Australian as Prime Minister of England....now I'd like to see THAT! :laugh:

The Anglish tossed out the Aussies so maybe it would be payback if we sent Matt back to them as their PM !!! ROFL!!

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:37 pm

I'll accept Matt as PM!
I'm living out of the country, so I'm safe!
... er, are we on topic here...:woohoo:

BigBear

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:40 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I'll accept Matt as PM!
I'm living out of the country, so I'm safe!
... er, are we on topic here...:woohoo:

If not, Big Jim will just ZAP us anyway!!! :woohoo:

goldleaf

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:56 pm

I think this thread has entertwined into a very strong rope. The strength of all threads and thoughts with the idea of making sure TG remains a place of learning and encouragment and exchange of opinions and perceptions cast to the winds of TG land to sail wherever the prevailing winds may carry them. BTW I hope to put up a vid in the near future. As soon as I gather the vid equipment and pick a song to practice to my satisfaction it will come to pass. I think all the people on TG provide encouragment in many areas including videos. I am glad to hear that Matt intends to keep responses to video's and other comments positive and constructive & I believe and hope that is not a problem, as all I have participated with have been nothing but friendly, positive and helpful and the videos are a source of inspiration for me and bring me close to doing something I would not have dreamed I would be contemplating doing prior to becoming part of TG, that is, puting a video of me playing the guitar on a forum watched by a relatively large number of people. Best wishes and thanks to all. Gary

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:14 am

Wow has this thread attracted a lot of interest in a short time. I can kinda understand where your coming from though. It is daunting to put up a vid. You'll note I haven't yet, can't yet no CAM (vote for my Vids team in the Competition and I promise i'll post a vid if I win the FLIP Cam :laugh: )

Because I can't put up a vid yet I was very reluctant to post critique, (not negative posts ) and offer advice, but I thought what the heck this is harmless and maybe can help if I state my observation onthings I've learnt both here and otherplaces. However, I was wondering to myself have I given the wrong impression that I'm somekind of expert or know it all and when I do get round to it everybody goes WTF!!! I have seen some guys definitely better than me then, some the same as me and some where I was at a while back. Until really sitting back and reviewing the vids that are there I was really aprehensive about ever posting a vid case i'd be ridiculed. This is dumb thinking now I've thought it over. The opportunity to be peer reviewed is one of the best ways to improve (I should know that being a Training Manager and Developer) Another post said recording is one of the best ways to improve, I disagree being reviewed by a friendly bunch of your peers on this site is the way to go. You know the thing I tell students when I conduct peer reviews in classes is when commenting about others own your statements and only make statements you can qualify Use I statements e.g. I saw your Thumb over the top, I saw you finger the chord incorrectly I heard a bum note or two etc etc get the drift Then I tell them if you can't offer constructive advice don't. Be objective and not subjective in critiques and offer solutions or direct to a solution i.e. Neils vid on such and such ....

SO thats what I do when I look at the members videos and I trust you guys to do the same when I eventually post my effort, i'm not a smart ass i'm just making honest comments on what I see and hear, what i'm not saying is i'm better (as you will know doubt find out when you have all voted for me and I win the Flip CAM LOL)

So know matter where you are at even outright beginner post a vid if you can, guarantee the kind bunch here will be glad to help. If you are really good like a couple i've seen so far then you inspire others.

phew thats a piece of my mind, need rest now :blink:

AndyT

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:37 am

Wow Chas. That was a big piece of your mind. Sure you can function with whats left? LOL

I actually filmed 2 videos of me playing. The first one has serious sound problems. The second one showed my desk which is closely related to the Twilight Zone. It's piled higher and deeper than most Doctors dissertations. Its a bit embarassing actually. Plus, as I was shooting the second one, I kept getting interrupted. So that one also went back in the hopper. Since then I simply have not had the time to sit down and shoot one. Although I'm trying to maybe shoot a group vid of a couple of friends and I just having fun jamming.

I'll post one when I get a decent quality one filmed, no matter how bad my playing. :blush: ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic