Video posting concern

terrynewton

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:43 pm

TG Friends,

You have to believe me when I say that all of you guys and gals here on TG are the reason I put so much time into practicing. From all the comments, I see how much you love to play and that is the key!!

I really never had a reason, at least in my mind, to pick up the guitar again and really try. I had no friends who played, and the one friend I did have moved 30 years ago. I know from experience over the years that the first thing "I" wanted to do was to compare myself with the next guy and say I will never play like that, but I realized after joining TG that my satisfaction for playing has change. I have been able to focus again and say to myself, that I have improved with each day of practice. And receiving your input, good or bad, is what helps.

From my standpoint I am really looking forward to seeing everybody post a video, because I know how hard it is to play in front of people and I know this will help me through that. Everyone here on TG is what makes this work!! No one is "BETTER" then someone else, just at at different levels of achievements. We get back only what we put into it. I'm sure you put your heart into it-----and you will get back satisfaction in return and respect for the effort.

When I first made contact with TG and learned that Neil started playing at the same age I did,-------- I sat for the longest time staring at the computer screen thinking what level of playing would I be now "IF I WOULD HAVE STUCK WITH IT". But I didn't, and that does make me feel sad inside. I then realized that I lost 30 years that I will never get back. But that was then and this is now. I made an agreement with myself that I will "Do" rather that say I play the guitar.

I know in my heart that if it wasn't for Neil and "ALL" of you (the TG family)-------I would not be writing this but still staring at my computer screen wishing I could really play like Neil. I know that will never happen, I don't have the years left and ---- the fingers are getting a little stiff. Time is not on my side. So I say to all, that hearing from you will be exciting to me because it will help me know you better, and appreciate what we all have in common----a love for the guitar and the music "WE" play.

Here is a great song by Tommy Emmanuel - "Since we Met": I send to all in the TG family.

Terry B)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi Terry, I really appreciate your posts! Karma for you and your attitude and spirit. I really enjoy seeing you enjoy the progress you make when you just stick at something you love... and it's so great that we of similar experience can connect here at TG. Way to go man! This is where it's at!

willem

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:21 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!very good topic this,but keep posting, evrybody is on a kind of level and can inspirate you to go on!!! and it must not be a copie of Neil,put something in from yourself......

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:24 pm

:lol: Yes Willem, inspirate! That's what it's all about. God bless your little Dutch clogs!

willem

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:37 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
:lol: Yes Willem, inspirate! That's what it's all about. God bless your little Dutch clogs!
YEAH!! CLOGS,ITS FOR PERCuSSION,klik klak klik klak klikker klakker Image

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:42 pm

... I have a real pair in orange to from the European Squash Championships in Holland 1994... click click, clog clog!

willem

Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:47 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
... I have a real pair in orange to from the European Squash Championships in Holland 1994... click click, clog clog!
They are for on your feet,not to squash with it,,maybe you can show them when you put on a new vid,use the clogs not a metronome,,,hey were getting off topic here, have a nice evening,,,,

TGMatt

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Here is my Two bobs worth...

Since I came up with the idea..it was to serve a number of purposes..

But the primary one and the one that is for all of you to grok.......

Target members if they want to post a video of themselves (key word here..themselves) playing, and have an assesment maybe done by Neil (no guarantees he will) and help you to progress , then this is what it is here for..

It serves that purpose firstly...this means simply it is for the individual to use as one more Target tool to improve THEIR playing....(another keyword)..

This means simply it is all about you..not what anyone else thinks of you, and if you have the courage to show up in the channel, it simply means, you would prefer to get help over and above any self worth issues....if anyone and I mean anyone comments on the negative side on here, or anywhere else, I will ban them for life..and I mean that with every fibre of my body..

So I have your back...

This means you can see it for what it truly is. A place to share your growth and feel like you can do that safely....

It is not a competition, it is not a place for you to compare...I have said this before..comparisons are usually debilitating things to do, unless you are doing it with yourself and being fair..

Ask the question for every component of your life "Am I better today than I was yesterday?"....

Ask a follow up question .."Am I using all the resources at my disposal to become better today?"....

This is a resource..leaders maximize resources...You lead yourself ....either Astray, or towards growth...

Maximize your resources and you will FEEL yourself growing, and for that ..satisfaction will ooze through your pores in a way that reminds you why you are alive..why music calls you, why mastering any skill is worthwhile.

The best in the world at anything still practice, still film themselves, still have coaches..still expose themselves to critical eyes, and worst of all to their own critical voice..

The best in the world know intrinsically that none of that matters if they are hvaing fun, and focusing on growth, they turn their inner voices down, or swap them for encouraging ones , take the nagging ones and make them sound like Mickey Mouse, or Donald duck..whatver it takes to take control of your Brain and do something that less than 1% of the population will do..Take something they would like to do, spend the time to learn, practice, and be coached..and be damned at the losers who would opine negatively back...for they are the ones who wish silently that they secretly had your fortitude and strength and commitment...as HDT said, their lives consist of "quiet desperation"...They are desperate to be you...You dont hear them though because both of your inner voices are exactly that.....

When you master one thing...their is a spill over effect, it will impact you rlife in ways you had never imagined ....

So jump forth, take a risk, post a video, and rejoice that you are participating in life, and the meek can go and spend their lives on another planet, because this one is for those who want to experience the passion of living fully..

Cheers

Matt

terrynewton

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks Matt,

Well Said.

Terry B)

tovo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:35 pm

I can see the point that Marc is making but as a very new member I would say that I have only been inspired by the videos from other members. Terry's Classical Gas was great because although I haven't even started learning it, my thought is "well here's a guy my age, not a studio musician or anything (that I know of!) and look at him playing this classic piece to a high standard". It just makes me realize that with dedication I could do the same. It would be dumb to think "oh I'm not as good as Terry so I'll give up".

Also, RicksPick posted the tune I am currently learning and again it was good to see someone doing it which again is inspirational. In other words, I reckon all the reasons that Neil and Matt had for adding this feature ring true and are useful not harmful. If you are going to give it away because you see someone play better then you need to adjust your thinking in my humble opinion, and if you are posting to show people how well you are playing...well what's really wrong with that?? I don't see anything wrong with being proud of what you have achieved and getting some really positive feedback.

I will say however that I absolutely agree with BigBear...NO WAY I'm ever going to write negative comments about someone's playing, I'll leave advice for Neil and stick with encouragement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic