Video posting concern

Lavallee

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 am

Hi all, I have some concerns about the video posting. I am afraid that it is turning into a competition. I know it is not the intent from anybody who is posting but I fear that many people will not post a video because :

somebody already played this song
somebody already played it and is much better than I
my playing is much better but I do not want it to look like I am bragging about it
I am a beginner and all the posted videos are more advanced than what I play.

I see many comments to the different videos like I need to practice another year, or I will post someday, I wish I could play like you, etc..

We need to emphasize that the posting is for your own purpose of learning and not to compare yourself with the others negatively. If anything looking at someone more advance should be to enquire how the person got there and findout that there is no magic but work and dedication.

Lets make sure that the postings are a discussion and not a show case where people will be afraid to participate

Marc

BigBear

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 am

Marc- Excellent, thoughtful post! Karma at you buddy!! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:12 am

Great point Marc.

How's the vid coming Andy?

:)

heyjoe

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:53 am

Interesting post Marc

While I completely understand your points, and agree with them to a point, I think it should also be highlighted that the video upload section was set up purely for people to record videos and to receive feedback.

From what I've seen of it, I believe that Neil and Matt set it up purely to be another area where we, as guitar players, can continue to improve, through positive and if needed constructive feedback, not only by the TG Staff, but also from the forum members.

As someone who has posted videos, my "feedback" on the uploaded videos section would be...it's a very nervy process recording and putting a video on, however, the feedback you receive is certainly beneficial to your playing- I got the chance to look at my technique like never before- I found areas I'm lacking in, and I'm now taking steps to rectify theres areas.

I'm sure there's an element of "look how well I can play this song"...but then again, is this necessarily a bad thing? While it can put some people off adding videos, it can also inspire others to add videos, or to improve their playing to the point where they are willing to post a vidoe of them playing.

As an example, around the time I posted videos, Acoustic Al and neverfoundthetime ( chris) posted videos...now I'm jealous because Chris can sing..he can play guitar at the same time as well..as for Al, he has better technique than me....but I'm not ashamed of what I put on, instead I know what I have to do to improve, their videos spurred me on to play more.

If we're talking about playing songs much better than anyone else, the student vidoes are good, but a certain player called Neil is better than all of us, thats why he's the one doing the video lessons.

Its all about perspective, does it matter if you are the 4th person to post about a particular song...I don't think so, its your own version, you deserve to get the same level of feedback as everyone else.

Comparing yourself negatively with others isn't going to help anyone, that's for sure.

Just read back what I wrote, and what you posted...I could have just posted..agreed!!!:cheer:

Joe

jayswett

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:19 am

Marc,
I'm not following. On the one hand, it sounds like you are trying to encourage more students to post videos, which of course is something with which I would agree. On the other hand, it also sounds like you would discourage the more advanced students from posting videos. With that, I would disagree. If I misunderstood your post, feel free to set me straight.

The more student videos, the better. Beginner, intermediate, advanced. As a beginner/intermediate player myself, I want to see them all.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:46 am

As mentioned already, it's really Totally Supportive Totally Guitars here so the feedback is always sensitive and appropriate for the level of play. As soon as members twig that, I think there will be no problem apart from the initial fear of posting. I hope people post when they have something down really well just as I hope they post for encouragement and help. It's great to hear someone do something well and it's great to be able to offer encouragement. I was really surprised and quite chuffed at the responses to my posting. It's encouraging me to post more.
There has also been a really long thread on "Are we kidding ourselves" which has shown what encouragement is offered when someone is low or in doubt... there were pages of it. Really, the forum for posting videos is a really safe place for ANYONE to post. Go ahead, join the posters!

lmc831

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:54 am

Marc,

I appreciate your concern and although I've yet to post a video, I have not felt intimedated by all the video's that I 've seen. We are all at different levels of our guitar playing. Maybe, some of us are shy to post anything (like me)but, when I feel more confident and ready, I will post one. Everyone here in TG forum are nonjudgemental and kind folks. We are all eager to learn and receive feedback from anyone especially from Neil.

Lisa

Lavallee

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Let me clarify my previous post. My point is that I hope that everybody will feel confortable in posting their own playing looking for advice. For having done it once, it is an incredible boost. I am just saying that you should not miss the opportunity of a positive critic because you are looking first at the other videos and use that as a selection criteria rather what you want to work on.

Jayswett, If you look at the 3rd reason for not presenting in my original posting :"my playing is much better but I do not want it to look like I am bragging about it". I am actually saying that I am afraid that advanced players will hold back with the concern to discourage beginners.

So the exercise is to show some example of players from all level which would not post and that would be a shame.

After hearing the points about my video, I am working at improving what I was told and then I will reshoot to see if it is noticeable.

So I am encouraging everybody, don`t hold back

Marc

jayswett

Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:26 pm

With your last post, I am in complete agreement. I guess the question is how to encourage more video posts across the board. I didn't watch the last episode of TG Live in its entirety, so I'm wondering if Neil/Matt mentioned this feature of the forum during that episode, or perhaps in an earlier episode. If not, it might be worth suggesting to them to highlight, during the next episode, the usefulness of the video upload feature and the ease with which it is done. I mean, let's face it, it's pretty doggone easy. Recording a piece of music takes some initiative and courage, but the uploading itself is not difficult at all.

BigBear

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:32 pm

I think we need to remember that the goal of sharing videos is not to get kudos from our fellow guitarists. It's to solicit advice from Neil on how to play better. There needs to be a healthy dose of self-interest mixed in here. It's about us, as individuals, getting better. Having a great support group is just the gravy!!

I'll be honest with you. I am very hesitant to say anything even close to critical about anyone's video. Who am I to critique someone? So I think it's very important to be super-supportive because I know it takes courage to post a video of yourself playing. And just maybe, by getting some positive encouragement, someone might decide that they really can play the guitar and to keep going, to practice harder and get better.

And one other point. I have learned a lot from Neil's comments that he attaches to the videos. They are great because we all share some of the problems he points out! I for one, would like to see some of the more advanced players, like our friend in Germany, post some more videos.

Cheers! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic