Video posting concern

mark

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:08 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Wow has this thread attracted a lot of interest in a short time. I can kinda understand where your coming from though. It is daunting to put up a vid. You'll note I haven't yet, can't yet no CAM (vote for my Vids team in the Competition and I promise i'll post a vid if I win the FLIP Cam :laugh: )

Because I can't put up a vid yet I was very reluctant to post critique, (not negative posts ) and offer advice, but I thought what the heck this is harmless and maybe can help if I state my observation onthings I've learnt both here and otherplaces. However, I was wondering to myself have I given the wrong impression that I'm somekind of expert or know it all and when I do get round to it everybody goes WTF!!! I have seen some guys definitely better than me then, some the same as me and some where I was at a while back. Until really sitting back and reviewing the vids that are there I was really aprehensive about ever posting a vid case i'd be ridiculed. This is dumb thinking now I've thought it over. The opportunity to be peer reviewed is one of the best ways to improve (I should know that being a Training Manager and Developer) Another post said recording is one of the best ways to improve, I disagree being reviewed by a friendly bunch of your peers on this site is the way to go. You know the thing I tell students when I conduct peer reviews in classes is when commenting about others own your statements and only make statements you can qualify Use I statements e.g. I saw your Thumb over the top, I saw you finger the chord incorrectly I heard a bum note or two etc etc get the drift Then I tell them if you can't offer constructive advice don't. Be objective and not subjective in critiques and offer solutions or direct to a solution i.e. Neils vid on such and such ....

SO thats what I do when I look at the members videos and I trust you guys to do the same when I eventually post my effort, i'm not a smart ass i'm just making honest comments on what I see and hear, what i'm not saying is i'm better (as you will know doubt find out when you have all voted for me and I win the Flip CAM LOL)

So know matter where you are at even outright beginner post a vid if you can, guarantee the kind bunch here will be glad to help. If you are really good like a couple i've seen so far then you inspire others.

phew thats a piece of my mind, need rest now :blink:
Hi Chas
I understand you concerns but I don't think any one should be concerned about posting a video here. All the comments I have seen have been positive and constructive.

I think that we also need to be wary of the situation where everybody justs says "great job" and the player is left with no guidance about how to get better. We need the critique in order to know what to work on.

I also think it is a good idea for players to post what they play badly rather than what they play well. By putting up what we play badly we more likely to get guidance on how to improve

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm

mark wrote:

Hi Chas
I understand you concerns but I don't think any one should be concerned about posting a video here. All the comments I have seen have been positive and constructive.

I think that we also need to be wary of the situation where everybody justs says "great job" and the player is left with no guidance about how to get better. We need the critique in order to know what to work on.

I also think it is a good idea for players to post what they play badly rather than what they play well. By putting up what we play badly we more likely to get guidance on how to improve[/quote]

I made these comments as I beleive others may be in the same boat, I'd rather (and this may sound PC but) instead of using negative connotations i.e. "What you play badly..." use "Your level of playing right now that you wish to improve.." Every little bit does help

Unashamed plug for my video competition entry Your vote will help me post a vid LOL

RicksPick

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:50 pm

Hi Ship mates

My doubloons worth

Well you have seen my video post
And it's the least technical piece there,IMHO
Err the beginner,ish one!
And that is OK

At no time have I felt criticized, belittled or inadequate
The comments have informed and helped me
I am still a beginner as I'm working hard on my technique
Seeing the other video's from you has inspired me to work harder
Yes I was slacking :blush:
But not now as I want to impress my peers,and teacher, my newly found family.

I welcome any critique from any level of ability
As I have commented on others with loads more talent
This is the best guitar site with the warmest members
there is no back biting or bitching only respect

LONG LIVE TG

RicksPick

:kiss:

P.S Matt has enough to do

P.S.S Chas shame on you lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic