When do you find the time to pratice

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:24 pm

tovo wrote:
"Neverfoundthetime" :lol: You must think I was taking a shot at you (I wasn't). I scare myself sometimes as well mate!
No, you couldn't know me from so afar! :-) But I am in awe of people with strident purpose and discipline. I can only do that some of the time or on projects. I do know that people with clear goals and a get up and go attitude, do achieve their goals!

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:27 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
[quote]Turn off the TV. I stopped watching TV about 10 years ago and I have oodles of time.

Brilliant ffsooo3! That is truly powerful.
Just don't spend all the spare time on the net and in the forums!!
Got to spend more time with my guitar....

Music Junkie

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm

With two little dudes at home, I usually get to practice after they go to bed. Most of the time, that means from about 8:00 - 9:30 PM on weeknights. Weekends are kind of all over the place. Both my boys have guitars, and we also have a keyboard, so we get a little crazy around here sometimes. Neither one of them play the guitar much, but they like to get them out and strum on them a while like dad does. I have mine left out, and I pick it up from time to time when there are spare moments. I also have an electric I will play through headphones from time to time when I need to be quiet.

I try to get in as much as possible, as it is my therapy.....lol

:laugh:

BigBear

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Chaco- I think we all face challenges with our time. I never had a rigid practice schedule until I joined TARGET. Now I play seven days a week, at least one, often two hours a night and more on weekends if I'm not working outside.

Since I play pretty late from 10:00 to 11:00pm I have to be a little quiet (at least with loud singing, don't want the dogs to start howling!).

Practice is my time and my gift to myself. I work hard to support my family and I've earned my little musical diversion. I think it is completely reasonable and appropriate to demand a small amount of time for yourself every day, WITHOUT GUILT!!! It refreshes us and gives us something to look forward to tomorrow. Every mental health expert says how important it is to have a hobby and to do it.

My young wife is starting to get the idea that I need my guitar time to be happy. It took her awhile!! lol!! :cheer:

p.s. Great suggestions Matt!!

NKenny

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:33 pm

I leave my guitar out on a stand, as Matt said. I pick it up many times throughout the day, but I think I waste time just strumming and the like. Although I guess it's not a waste. I need more structure and should work on more scales and learning the fretboard etc. If I would spend as much time practicing as I do on the computer with TG maybe I would be able to play better. Oh well what ever I'm enjoying it all.

Kenny

ffsooo3

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:34 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
ffsooo3 wrote:
Turn off the TV. I stopped watching TV about 10 years ago and I have oodles of time.

Brilliant ffsooo3! That is truly powerful.
Just don't spend all the spare time on the net and in the forums!!
Got to spend more time with my guitar....
I spend a few hours everyday on my guitar. I now can play (reasonably well) Tommy Emmanuel's "Angelina", "Those Who Wait", and "Papa George", as well as Clapton's "Tears in Heaven", and the Beatles' "Julia", "In My LIfe", "Something", and "Here There and Everywhere". And those were all learned this summer!

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:35 pm

I spend a few hours everyday on my guitar. I now can play (reasonably well) Tommy Emmanuel's "Angelina", "Those Who Wait", and "Papa George", as well as Clapton's "Tears in Heaven", and the Beatles' "Julia", "In My LIfe", "Something", and "Here There and Everywhere". And those were all learned this summer!
Way to go ffsooo3! That's a big achievement!

chacho

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:36 pm

BigBear wrote:
[

My young wife is starting to get the idea that I need my guitar time to be happy. It took her awhile!! lol!! :cheer:

My wife's golden rule is no singing while I'm playing as it's so bad.
It makes Neil voice sound like an angel or Tom Petty.:laugh:

tovo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:38 pm

BigBear wrote:
Since I play pretty late from 10:00 to 11:00pm
No less admirable than getting up early BigBear. Given you said you often put in 2 hours you must play through to midnight on occasions.

I think the common theme is that for practice to be really effective it needs some focus. Trying to pick or strum away with a lot going on around is hard for me, I really need the guitar to be my whole focus for that time. Plus learning numbers through repetition is necessary but not much fun for others to listen to!

I'm only talking about focused practice time of course there are other times just playing around when it doesn't really matter what else is going on.

BigBear

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:45 pm

chacho wrote:
My wife's golden rule is no singing while I'm playing as it's so bad.
It makes Neil voice sound like an angel or Tom Petty.:laugh:

OMG!! That's hysterical!!!! :laugh:

I'll bet you sing a lot better than you think!! Now I can make three, count 'em, three Golden Retrievers howl when I sing!! And they don't even bark let alone howl!!! My wife and daughter just tell each other "Well, there goes Dad, singing again!!". :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic