When do you find the time to pratice

chacho

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:43 pm

I just wondered when you all praticed.
After working all day and having kids to entertain, I usually find the time to pratice is when everybody else goes to bed.
The trouble is that means I can't make too much noise and if I strum I have found the best way is to strum is with a .38mm pick which is like a wafer so I don't wake everybody up.
I suppose I'm too clumsy and loud with the .7mm pick.
Anybody else have the same problem.:dry:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:56 pm

I've spent years strumming on my nylon strings at night with my thumb to quieten things down. Luckily no one ever complained! Now I'm having to get more used to letting it out unhindered and clear. So I've never used a pick. I'd love to get those laud clear and clean sounds with a pick. It's just that I cringe at each and every bum note I play (and there are a lot of those!).

TGMatt

Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:59 pm

I have two suggestions no make that three..oh bugger it four..

(1) practice on weekends too...On the seventh day rest (and play massive riffs).B)

(2) Get an amped acoustic, and plug headphones in, then strum as loud as you want.

(3) Always have your guitar on a stand where you can pick it up on a whim...(as opposed to in a case that takes time..and doesnt remind you as well)

(4)Practice with your kids..give them the words teach them the song...get them involved..entertain them with your guitar !........

(5) --yes I cannot count either .....be honest and appraise the actual time you have..you would be amazed at just how much of it gets frivolously wasted instead of foscused on the best use ......

Cheers

Matt

tovo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Good question I reckon.

I spent years wasting my precious heartbeats by exercising far too much. At that gung-ho time in my life I had little time for people who trotted out the line "I'd love to but I cant' find the time". As I have gotten older and hopefully a little wiser I have mellowed and become less judgmental, at least I like to think I have. Regardless, with 3 little boys and a busy life I have been able to bring some of that discipline to my guitar practice, it also helps to be a real morning person. So...I get up at 4:45am and practice until 6am each weekday. Still doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough. On weekends I just pick up the guitar when the mood grabs me and I have some time. I am fortunate to have an area in my house far enough away from my sleeping wife and kids that I don't disturb anyone, although Matt's amp and headphones suggestion is a great one I might try.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:13 pm

So...I get up at 4:45am and practice until 6am each weekday.
Tovo, you're frightening me! But I have to admit that all successful sportsmen/women and athletes train at fixed times, including going to bed and getting up same time every day.

chacho

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:17 pm

(4)Practice with your kids..give them the words teach them the song...get them involved..entertain them with your guitar !........

Thats a good idea, I'm going to wake them up now :laugh:

Seriously I did print the lyrics from Neil's Puff the magic dragon to involve the kids which they quite liked but not my poor guitar playing.

I think that I do waste alot of my pratice time just strumming and picking aimlessly and not putting too much thought into it.
Alot of it is also playing along with Neil on his play it slow and up to speed versions on some songs. Which is a great help for me.

BigBear

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:17 pm

tovo wrote:
Good question I reckon.

I spent years wasting my precious heartbeats by exercising far too much. At that gung-ho time in my life I had little time for people who trotted out the line "I'd love to but I cant' find the time". As I have gotten older and hopefully a little wiser I have mellowed and become less judgmental, at least I like to think I have. Regardless, with 3 little boys and a busy life I have been able to bring some of that discipline to my guitar practice, it also helps to be a real morning person. So...I get up at 4:45am and practice until 6am each weekday. Still doesn't seem to be anywhere near enough. On weekends I just pick up the guitar when the mood grabs me and I have some time. I am fortunate to have an area in my house far enough away from my sleeping wife and kids that I don't disturb anyone, although Matt's amp and headphones suggestion is a great one I might try.

Tovo- You are The Man getting up that early! What a stud!! You have to do what you have to do and you are doing it! Congrats!! :cheer:

tovo

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:18 pm

"Neverfoundthetime" :lol: You must think I was taking a shot at you (I wasn't). I scare myself sometimes as well mate!

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:21 pm

I think that I do waste alot of my pratice time just strumming and picking aimlessly and not putting too much thought into it.
Matt is right about the focusing but there is also wisdom in the slow and meandering ways of idly strumming away... you discover things accidentally and find out things you wouldn't have otherwise. The right mix makes for good learning.

ffsooo3

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Turn off the TV. I stopped watching TV about 10 years ago and I have oodles of time.

I also agree with Matt, leave the guitar out all the time (on the wall or in a secure stand) so you can play it at any moment - even if it's only during those short (7 minute long) commercial breaks (which seemed to happen every 5 minutes)!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic