Covers that tame the original

tovo

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:46 am

I was thinking about this subject after my wife claimed that the Dixie Chicks version of "Landslide" is better than the original. After the blood finally drained back from my head to the rest of my body and I stopped questioning why I married this woman instead of making good on my promise to my mates that I would make a play for Stevie Nicks (at about 16 years old), I then started to wonder how many covers there are out there that achieved more popular acclaim than the original?

As an example, I would say there is little doubt that Hendrix's version of "All along the Watchtower" creamed Dylan's, with Bob freely admitting he prefers that version to his own.

What others? I'm sure there are many.

BigBear

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:20 am

Tovo- Here's a few I thought of:

Leaving on a Jet Plane, written by John Denver but made a huge hit by Peter, Paul and Mary.

Mr. Tambourine Man, written by Bob Dylan but went to #1 by the Byrds

Turn, Turn, Turn, written by Pete Seeger and made into a huge hit again by the Byrds

Hey Joe, authorship unknown but first played by the Leaves, made into a hit by Jimi Hendrix

Where Have all the Flowers Gone, written by Pete Seeger, made into a major hit by the Kingston Trio.

Both Sides Now, written by Joni Mitchell but really made into a hit by Judy Collins.

Send in the Clowns written by Stephen Sondheim made into a hit by Judy Collins

Cocaine, written by JJ Cale but made into a hit by Eric Clapton

Louie, Louie written by Richard Berry and made into a monster hit by the Kingsmen

Twist and Shout written by Phil Medley but made famous by the Beatles

Light My Fire by Jose Feliciano (sp?) made into a #1 by the Doors

Unchained Melody by Todd Duncan made famous by the Righteous Brothers

With a Little Help From my Friends by the Beatles but worked into a hit by Joe Cocker

That's enough, I could go on for hours!! Hope this is a good start!! Cheers!! :cheer:

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:42 am

There's quite a few responses to this in a thread I created a while back if you want to check it out:
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum?fun ... 19&id=6537

tovo

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:29 pm

So I did a cover version of an old thread Al! The original was much better as well! :laugh:

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:58 pm

That's funny. But I guess Bear was holding out on me- as he had a huge list that didn't make it on the original thread.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:19 pm

.... still waters run deep Al! Not that Bear is still water.... but you know what I mean!:cheer:

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:57 pm

If I am not mistaken "Light my Fire" was written by Robby Krieger of the Doors

jayswett

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm

tovo wrote:
[quote]I was thinking about this subject after my wife claimed that the Dixie Chicks version of "Landslide" is better than the original. After the blood finally drained back from my head to the rest of my body and I stopped questioning why I married this woman [quote]

Your original post was funny. I am in the middle of a library and laughed out loud. The woman next to me gave me a disapproving look, so of course I apologized. I think I'll pack it up and get some dinner.

tovo

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:51 pm

jayswett wrote:
Your original post was funny. I am in the middle of a library and laughed out loud. The woman next to me gave me a disapproving look, so of course I apologized.
Glad you got a laugh jayswett. I felt like a goose when Al pointed out that there was a 50 page thread on the same subject but hey....that is a trap for new bloggers on any site and no harm done.

I'm tipping that many of the World's most uptight, sanctimonious people can be found in Libraries giving people "disapproving looks" :S

BigBear

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:58 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
.... still waters run deep Al! Not that Bear is still water.... but you know what I mean!:cheer:

I must have been hibernating!! LOL!! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic