Buying a guitar.....?

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:28 am

tovo wrote:
Man those are some good prices for Taylor's from my point of view. A 714ce in Australia retail's for around $5500AUD (a tick over $4700US) although of course with retailer discounts you can do much better. You folks in the US are getting great deals which I guess is a result of the comparatively huge market and the fierce competition. Looks like I need to plan a work trip the the USA!

Reiver glad to see you checking out the Taylors, great guitars IMHO. Of course Chas has thrown in the Cole Clark plug also! (According to those in the know Chas works for them) :laugh:
I wish!! At present not many takers so the commission would be a bit thin. But Tovo man you're right Guitars downunder aint cheap, thats one of the reasons why I got a Cole being almost locally made lol and significantly cheaper but still in the same quality league.

AndyT

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 am

Just remember Bear works for Taylor and Chas for Cole Clark. If they sell enough guitars they get a free one. LOL

Now, if you want a really good guitar...

LMBO! No, I don't like to recommend because there are so many different makers. You might find something rarely heard of and its an incredible deal but not buy it because you did not hear about it here at TG. Search your locals guitar stores. Play everything they have on the walls, no matter what it costs.

Be sure to play the really high priced stuff so you have a better idea of what to look for in the cheaper ones.

Chasplaya

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:45 am

AndyT wrote:
Just remember Bear works for Taylor and Chas for Cole Clark. If they sell enough guitars they get a free one. LOL

Now, if you want a really good guitar... Try the Yamamine Grandnought 00000000-AT27.3333 Each one comes with my personal guarantee AT

Yup yup yup .....

wadestar

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:24 am

Buying a guitar, first you do not want to come home thinking you made a mistake. Shop online until your brain says we thought of all guitars makes. Listen to samples until your roommate or spouse says stop, then review the ones most stoped on. Look outside the "Box" Like I am Canadian so I think of keeping my style that way, so USA or Canadian made, then you have to know what style will most be played. Then it comes down to how much do you want to spend. So for me Canadian seems the right fit for me. Seagull Acoustic, now in planning Godin Summit CT (Electric)I have a entry level Jackson That I have regreted buying only that this is my only electric at this point, I have had several great ones but time & circumstances have had there way, now time to rebuild. Think of it as a hobby, model builders are looking for there next, I look at how can I improve. If your guitar is holding you back from enjoying playing, get a new one keep the spark going. So play within your money or means, and grow as you go is my best summary.

tovo

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 am

"Grow as you go"...nice phrase wadestar.

Chas I will admit that the Cole Clarks are great value as even their lower end offerings are solid wood construction rather than HPL.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Haven't bought a guitar in about 20 years since in bought my two Takamines. Just love them. But all this talk about guitars took me to the local shop as I would like a 6 string acoustic electric with steel strings (have a 12 string with steel and a 6 string with nylon). I wasn't going to go by price or make I just picked up what looked and sounded good first glance. Sure enough, the first pick was the best. A Furch (hand made in Czech republic). Beautiful wood and craftsmanship. Clear, strong, warm sound and nice handling. Never heard of them before. Tried two other Furch and they were wonderful too (and more expensive) but the first was the one which spoke to me. Price 1'700 Swiss franks (US Dollar is about 1:1 these days). Tried a Martin and another Takamine but no contest. Haven't bought one yet but it's close. Anyone else Heard of Furch?

wrench

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:25 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Haven't bought a guitar in about 20 years since in bought my two Takamines. Just love them. But all this talk about guitars took me to the local shop as I would like a 6 string acoustic electric with steel strings (have a 12 string with steel and a 6 string with nylon). I wasn't going to go by price or make I just picked up what looked and sounded good first glance. Sure enough, the first pick was the best. A Furch (hand made in Czech republic). Beautiful wood and craftsmanship. Clear, strong, warm sound and nice handling. Never heard of them before. Tried two other Furch and they were wonderful too (and more expensive) but the first was the one which spoke to me. Price 1'700 Swiss franks (US Dollar is about 1:1 these days). Tried a Martin and another Takamine but no contest. Haven't bought one yet but it's close. Anyone else Heard of Furch?
Chris,

I think Furch is sold in North America as Stonebridge. Check some YouTube videos of Antoine Dufour. He plays mostly Stonebridge. Only 1,700? Sounds like a good value to me.

wrench

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:26 pm

I've only ever seen them on the net and as you know read the reviews which get a mixed bag really, but mostly good. You really need to try a Cole Clark , oops there goes that broken record again... oops there goes that broken record again... oops there goes that broken record again...

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:28 pm

You really need to try a Cole Clark
...isn't he using it? :)

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:32 pm

Chris,

I think Furch is sold in North America as Stonebridge. Check some YouTube videos of Antoine Dufour. He plays mostly Stonebridge. Only 1,700? Sounds like a good value to me.
wrench
I think that's right wrench. I'll czech it out (sorry)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic