Buying a guitar.....?

mcfingers

Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:21 pm

Here's my 2 cents worth. I have four guitars. My first was purchased around 1968 the last one was just over a year ago. I played them all before I purchased. I wouldn't buy a guitar that I couldn't have in my hands and play for an hour or more. My last guitar purchase, my Taylor 110 is a good example of why you always want to give it a try before you buy. I was in a very reputable store. My friend took me there just to show me the store I had no intention of buying a guitar when I walked in. I wasn't even looking for a new guitar. One thing lead to another and the store clerk just kept handing me these incredible guitars to play. He wasn't pressuring me he was just being really friendly. I must have played 3 or 4 really nice higher end Taylors and they sounded great. Then he handed my 110, the "low end"guitar. Wow, for some reason that guitar just had the sound I was looking for. Again the others were really nice but this one just sounded deep and rich and perfect. I know it sounds funny, the low ender out performed the high end models. But that's only true for my ear and preference. Your perfect sound may be different. My point is that if I had just gone on specs and woods and prices and all the other research points I would never have found that 110. I might have paid way more for a guitar that didn't sound as good... TO ME. Everyone has a sound that they like. Mine is a deep full bodied sounding guitar. I probably saved myself $1000-$1500 dollars by test driving that guitar and comparing it to the others. So, don't be too quick to jump. Take your time and play, play, play before you decide. You'll be glad you did.

Sorry for going on so long. I don't usually get so preachy. But, I do believe that playing is the only true way to really get what you want in a guitar.

Just some thoughts from an old dog.

woof,woof,
Steve

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:05 pm

Tell 'em how it is Steve! Good man.
Sound, feel, playability, style. That's what I'll go for and I'll take one of the catalogs home with all the tech gen in it so I can diliver the justifications and rational to anyone who asks how I chose my new guitar. ;-).
I'ts how we choose everything we buy.

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:49 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Tell 'em how it is Steve! Good man.
Sound, feel, playability, style. That's what I'll go for and I'll take one of the catalogs home with all the tech gen in it so I can diliver the justifications and rational to anyone who asks how I chose my new guitar. ;-).
I'ts how we choose everything we buy.
Way to go Chris,Sound, feel, playability, style.... then is that when you buy a Cole Clark??

reiver

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Thanks again guys. Interesting stuff.

Why do you think so many renowned rock/pop/music stars play on Takamines, when obviously they could afford any guitar they wanted - 100s of times over. Yet Takamine gets relatively few 'plugs' on this discussion thread, or anywhere in the forums. They must be offering something soundwise.......

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Tony, I have 2 Takamines a 12 string and a 6 string with nylon strings. Love 'em to death and haven't bought a new guitar in 20 years. They have been just fine for me all this time. I was interested in trying something new, which is how I landed at the Furch/Stonebridge. Just don't go for the Chinese version, you need made in Japan.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Here is Willy Porter playing his new Guild 'Contemporary Series" Signature Model. Willy puts his guitar through a workout at the 2007 NAMM, he's an awsome guitar player and singer. Gary
Check our "Groups": Guild Contemporary Series for more info:

goldleaf

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:14 pm

Willy specializes in alternate tunings, wish I knew more about how to use them. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Way to go Chris,Sound, feel, playability, style.... then is that when you buy a Cole Clark??
Could be Chas, if I can get my hands on one to try out....

goldleaf

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:12 am

I would like to hear Neils explanation re: Willy's strumming, it seems to go from Bosa Nova to very light arpeggieo.

goldleaf

Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:52 pm

There are still some of the Guild "contemporary series" available through wholesalers. They are sometimes new, unplayed guitars. the MSRP runs from $2,600 to $3,300 and you can pick them up for around $1,200 if they are in mint condition, no scratches or blemishes. The one Willy Porter is playing lists for $3,300 but if you are lucky you can pick it up for 1/2 of that in perfect condition. If it had a martin name on it, it would list for over $5,000 and sell in the high $3,000 range.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic