Buying a guitar.....?

wrench

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:34 pm

nice one

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Quite a bit on You Tube about them. The actual site is interesting, and they link to their Stonebridge site too which also has a lot of good info and vids. You realise I if you buy one you will need to play ;like the guy in this vid though he's set the benchmark

neverfoundthetime

Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Really nice sound on that. Thanks Chas!

BigBear

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Here's a dumb question for you guys Down Under. Can't you buy Taylors and Martins directly from the US and have them shipped over to you or is it an exchange rate issue? The dollar is really weak right now (I promise I won't get into why! lol!) so your Down Under money should buy more US guitar, not less!

Am I missing something here? The only downside is you don't get to see the wood but with Taylor (and all the other high end builders) quality control and lumber grading program that should not be a problem. See Gary's posts for what Taylor does with their lumber program.

And it's no different than ordering a custom guitar. You kinda have to take what they give you.

Just Wond'ring Aloud (great Jethro Tull song for future reference!).

Cheers!! :cheer:

reiver

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks guys - sounded really nice.

Just checked out my local shop's stock and they have a few of these (Stonebridge) for sale, and on sale, all under £1000.

My list is getting longer.....

r

jayswett

Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Quite a bit on You Tube about them. The actual site is interesting, and they link to their Stonebridge site too which also has a lot of good info and vids. You realise I if you buy one you will need to play ;like the guy in this vid though he's set the benchmark
Yeah, that guy in the vid was incredible. Looked young. Flawless transition from strumming to finger picking, which is not easy, in my opinion. Guitar sounded great.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:15 pm

BigBear wrote:
Here's a dumb question for you guys Down Under. Can't you buy Taylors and Martins directly from the US and have them shipped over to you or is it an exchange rate issue? The dollar is really weak right now (I promise I won't get into why! lol!) so your Down Under money should buy more US guitar, not less!

Am I missing something here? The only downside is you don't get to see the wood but with Taylor (and all the other high end builders) quality control and lumber grading program that should not be a problem. See Gary's posts for what Taylor does with their lumber program.

And it's no different than ordering a custom guitar. You kinda have to take what they give you.

In the major music store in NZ

TAYLOR 710CE CW/ELEC ACOUSTIC GUITAR - DREADNOUGHT - SPRUCE TOP / INDIAN ROSEWOOD B&S $5499.00

This = $3939.00US

WHat are they in stores US at present?

wrench

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
BigBear wrote:

TAYLOR 710CE CW/ELEC ACOUSTIC GUITAR - DREADNOUGHT - SPRUCE TOP / INDIAN ROSEWOOD B&S $5499.00

This = $3939.00US

A quick check of Guitar Center's website shows $2,599USD.

I think we have the reverse here in the US for the Stonebridge. Chris mentioned 1,700 Swiss Francs for the Furch, and I checked out some used Stonebridge here in the US a few months back for $5,000-$7,000 USD.

Must be expensive to move guitars between continents.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:02 pm

wrench wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
BigBear wrote:

This = $3939.00US

A quick check of Guitar Center's website shows $2,599USD.

I think we have the reverse here in the US for the Stonebridge. Chris mentioned 1,700 Swiss Francs for the Furch, and I checked out some used Stonebridge here in the US a few months back for $5,000-$7,000 USD.

Must be expensive to move guitars between continents.
My price includes Sales Tax of 12.5% and also import cost dopn't know how much that is.

BigBear

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
BigBear wrote:

This = $3939.00US

$2,599.00 Here's the link!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-710C ... 1148449.gc

That's almost a $1,500 penalty! That's ridiculous, you can but a lot of guitar for $1,500! Hell, for that difference I'd buy Cole Clark! :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic