It's not just what you play.........

Lavallee

Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:30 am

I agree Ric, Chapdelaine has heard this song all his life plus he made the arrangements, played it in front of crowds. The kid is only taking lessons. I think he will have a large place in the musical arena in a few years.

Marc

goldleaf

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:15 pm

I agree he will hopefully keep the fire needed to bring in his own personal touch as he matures. As far as taking 50 lessons, I would guess that in between those lessons he probably puts in quite a few hours of probably very serious practice. He may also have some additional movitation from parents etc. who can be very influential, where as adults or late teens have many other responsibilities & interests that prevent them from concentrating as much or putting in the time and effort to learn the skills he has gained. Gary

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:30 pm

goldleaf wrote:
I agree he will hopefully keep the fire needed to bring in his own personal touch as he matures. As far as taking 50 lessons, I would guess that in between those lessons he probably puts in quite a few hours of probably very serious practice. He may also have some additional movitation from parents etc. who can be very influential, where as adults or late teens have many other responsibilities & interests that prevent them from concentrating as much or putting in the time and effort to learn the skills he has gained. Gary
Quoting Sungha, he practices two hours a day on school days and three hours a day on weekends. His father apparently is a noted fingerpicking guitarist, so guarantee is influential. his father put him onto Ulli in the first place. IN time as he matures the emotions will be learned. Therefore, it will be good to follow his progress.

reiver

Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:37 am

Great responses guys, thanks........but I wonder if maybe I can throw a spanner in the works here.

Is it possible that we are responding to the Chapdelaine version because of what we are seeing, rather than what we are hearing. Chapdelaine is visibly more "into" the song and maybe that is what we are picking up on and converting it in our heads to maturity/experience or whatever. Would we be so swayed by the perceived differences in the performances if we were only listening to them without the visual cues?

Just an idea - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

r

wiley

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:35 am

NKenny

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:49 am

Welcome to the forum Wiley, I agree any person can learn to play the guitar.But the ones who have been given the gift of talent will always stand out as the best guitarists.

leeb

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:11 pm

I compare being a brilliant guitarist or any great musician to a perfect storm... Technique, emotion, and some sort of inate music ability. David Gilmour is a prime example. Many many guitarists can emualte him but never duplicate. I can play the opening solo in Wish note for note yet not sound a bit like him... and never will
The young fella at the rype age of what 10... just needs more time to get the emotion and feeling. He is a perfect storm waiting to happen IMHO.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic