Have you regressed lately??

goldleaf

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:21 pm

I think expectations of guitar playing skills have haunted me for many many years, now that I look back and really think about it. In my late teens when I was playing with a garage band I was always learning new songs and learning from others and my expectations and goals were not a factor. After the band dissolved and other sports and things like girls, cars etc. took the guitar's place I eventually sold my amp and electric guitar and got a classical nylon string so I could play by myself. That was pretty much the end of my progress, except for one Junior College class I took in guitar. After years past, when I heard a song that sparked my guitar playing interest, I would pick it up but in the end I just reminded myself how I had digressed as far as playing the guitar and there it would set for another 6 months. It's all different now, after seeing 50 come around it was clear that I was never going to be a great or even serious guitar player. I never had friends that I could play with so there was no progress. Technology improved and I found TG on the internet and found a way I could learn to play new songs of my era and many I really liked. I did not need others to jam with and could learn at my own speed and time sitting on my living room couch. With Neil being a great teacher, the price was right, I didn't have to leave my house, TG was the ticket for finally making some progress with my guitar skills by learning great songs complete and even combining chords and melody allowing me to be self sufficient in playing songs that were recognizable. I think for many of us who used to play in our younger years TG has open a door that has been at least partially closed for decades for some of us. Gary

midnight rider

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Very intresting topic. But yeah if I don't practice almost everyday, I seem to forget what my teacher shows me. With my work schedule, practice time is limited at best. I enjoy reading all of the posts on this forum. Very supportive group.

goldleaf

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:51 pm

That was a long post but in re-reading it, it occured to me that there are not that many life-changing events that happen to us, especially ones we can point at and say it was this specific thing and time, like finding TG totally changed my life as far as my playing the guitar. Since TG I have bought 5 acoustic/electric guitars and will probably buy at least 1 more. I have learned over a half dozen songs and am busily looking for a video cam so I can make a vid for TG. My nylon string guitar collected dust for decades until I joined TG. Now that is a life changing event of note. It also came at a time in my life when I had to cut back work to 1/2 time due to Doctors orders which left a bit of a hole in my life which TG more than filled. Don't have enough time to practice, & spend a good bit of time on the Forum's. I guess I spent so many years regressing that it is finally my time to progress. Sorry my good friends for this super long post. Jam on. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:49 am

Since TG I have bought 5 acoustic/electric guitars and will probably buy at least 1 more. I have learned over a half dozen songs
Gee wizz Gary that's almost one guitar for each song! Like the sound of that. Glad you're having fun at TG and making a great therapy out of it. I've said this in several posts now: There is no regression really. Skills are reactivated when practised again and learning new techniques doesn't mean old ones have to be written over or unlearned. That doesn't happen. You just get better at the new technique and at some point choose it over the old one. I agree which what you've said on left hand grip. Mine is never a real baseball grip but I do that thumb around the neck thing a lot and sometimes my thumb is behind the neck in a nice classical position. I've learned to use what "works" and build in better techniques when I can and that's what I'm doing here on TG. There's no right, there's no perfect, just: doesn't work well, good, better, and wow!

goldleaf

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:12 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Since TG I have bought 5 acoustic/electric guitars and will probably buy at least 1 more. I have learned over a half dozen songs
Gee wizz Gary that's almost one guitar for each song! Like the sound of that. Glad you're having fun at TG and making a great therapy out of it. I've said this in several posts now: There is no regression really. Skills are reactivated when practised again and learning new techniques doesn't mean old ones have to be written over or unlearned. That doesn't happen. You just get better at the new technique and at some point choose it over the old one. I agree which what you've said on left hand grip. Mine is never a real baseball grip but I do that thumb around the neck thing a lot and sometimes my thumb is behind the neck in a nice classical position. I've learned to use what "works" and build in better techniques when I can and that's what I'm doing here on TG. There's no right, there's no perfect, just: doesn't work well, good, better, and wow!
1 guitar a month, never planned to buy more than my Blueridge but Guild made a great Acoustic/electric w/cutaway for about 6 months in the US. Check out the "Group" Guild Contemporary Series Guitar for the long story on this one. Gary

goldleaf

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:19 pm

I also agree with the way you described your left hand grip, I too use the classical grip when the chord or change etc. calls for it, but that is just some of the time. My thought was that if you concentrate on always trying to keep that classical grip you are frequently fighting what to me is an unnatural grip and I get tired quickly of attempting to do that. When I need it I use it, otherwise I concentrate on other things like trying to keep my fingers so they make the strings ring true and don't touch other strings, that is something that I always try to remind myself to do. Gary

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:24 pm

That sounds sensible to me Gary. We intermediates have make these transitions.... but not brake our selves over them. Take a look at any number of our idols playing... not many have perfect or even good technique. Striving for "better" is fine, striving for "perfect" may backfire.

goldleaf

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:44 pm

I guess since Neil is the teacher he "has" to bring up the grip issue, and probably rightfully so since it is a major element, if you can't get your wrist around in classical style when you need to you would be limited. I guess it's up to him to push us and up to us to decide which direction to go when he does. Think I'll practice for awhile, let's see which guitar should I play today 3 guilds,1 blueridge, a Tacoma, my nylon classical or maybe my mandolin!! I know one thing for sure my wife isn't to happy with my current collection. I do intend to sell a couple of them when the time is right, investments you understand, that what I told my wife and I'm sticking with it. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic