Have you regressed lately??

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Since becoming a member and endeavouring to adopt the methods being taught my playing has regressed. i.e. I used to be (IMHO) play passable and sometimes good covers of songs. Now its like starting again, I now play a combination of where I was and where I hope I am going, and my playing is stilted, I find it difficult to play a complete song. However,in the interim, my playing seems to have gone slightly backwards. Has anyone else experienced this?

AndyT

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:15 pm

Yes. I used to be able to play along with a lot of simple songs and now I have trouble just making good chords.

tovo

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Absolutely agree Chas. I have to unlearn all the bad habits, like using an anchor and getting my thumb behind the neck. I also used to hold my pick incorrectly so my strumming went really bad when I changed to the correct grip. Frustrating but I'm sure worthwhile in the end. (I hope!)

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:25 pm

tovo wrote:
Absolutely agree Chas. I have to unlearn all the bad habits, like using an anchor and getting my thumb behind the neck. I also used to hold my pick incorrectly so my strumming went really bad when I changed to the correct grip. Frustrating but I'm sure worthwhile in the end. (I hope!)
I hear ya mate, I just wonder whether we should take things in stages otherwise it might actually dishearten others. I mention this from my professional background in Training. Maybe Neil needs to address this otherwise some may actually get put off...
This to me is way more important than issues about Forums humour after all this is meant to be a learning site, but inadvertently it might actually be counterproductive.

Others thoughts are welcome on this topic.

wrench

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Very emphatic yes here.

Ironic, too, because I gave Andy a spirited uplift a couple of weeks ago when he mentioned regressing as a result of some work on hand position.

On the advice of TG feedback, I tried to play Lucky Man last week with a metronome. I couldn't. I mean at all. If I strummed to the 'nome, I couldn't even move my left hand. If I chorded, I couldn't move my right hand. I concluded that somewhere along the way, I developed the habit of having my right hand follow my left as it was seeking chords. So this week, I worked with the 'nome all week, and worked on left hand-right hand independence.

I'm not really freaked out over it, but I'm kinda disappointed in myself for not monitoring my fundamentals and habits better.

AndyT

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I have been put off by this myself and it contributed to my getting a bit slack on my practice. I really hate moving backwards so very far in my abilities. Made me feel like I was wasting my time. I know in my head its good for me, but....

karl01

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:57 am

I'm too new to guitar, and not good enough a player yet, to really have regressed with it. But, I have definitely had that experience with other areas in the past. I have been a very dedicated rock climber in the past, and still climb quite a bit, and there is absolutely a well-known and discussed phenomenon where one feels like they're getting worse when the train and climb alot. People feel weaker, less endurance, or just unable to climb what they used to, etc.

While there is some weakening that happens with alot of strength training, the 'technique' portion of the regression we usually chalk up to 'analysis paralysis'. You become much more aware of your technique: your footwork, how your holding tension, how your weight is distributed, etc -- and it becomes diverting. When your not aware of your bad habits, you are limited in your potential but you can climb in more relaxed 'flow'. As you transition into better performance, there is a necessary adjustment period where you shift heightened awareness of new technique into that same natural state that you had before with your older, poorer, more limiting habits. During that time -- well, you regress a little -- but it pays off big in the end. You just have to push through the frustrating bits.

I'd love to hear what Neil has to say about this topic -- or other folks who teach / coach.

Cheers.

Lavallee

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:11 am

I think it is important not to change everything over nigth. Neil even said it this afternoon. We got to keep in mind that guitar is fun not pain (there is enough pain in our lives without the hobby being one). It is like doing a difficult exercise: if it starts to hurt, well, if you keep the same pace you will get discourage quickly. I was playing Romanza quite well but with the wrong fingerpicking . It is a tremendous effort to change the muscle memory. So I would play it the bad way and the new way. Now I am starting the get the hang of it and the new way seems easier than at the beginning. So I did not stick to a dramatical change only, it has to be fun.

Marc

TGMatt

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:21 am

Yup I agree it has to be fun..

Now I havent picked up a guitar in 3 weeks until I arrived at Neils today, and suprisingly to me, I could do some stuff ...and so it reminds me that once you have nailed a couple of things and it becomes part of teh hardwiring, it ends up being like riding a bike..you are intrinsically embedded with what to do...and thats why when you work on a part and get that small part right it is so useful for later on as you work through other transition things...

As a student of learning strategies too, spaced repetition is key for difficult stuff, a happy environment ( vome back to this place where you had a breakthrough before..it wil be a physical anchor a trigger to your mind of success)..

and also use visualization a lot, visualize the success even if it doesnt pan out immediately keep the mind games always positive see yourself doing it well and see yourself experiencing the success at the end..so not just the activity but the after the activity feeling of success and celebration..

I could write a book on this side of stuff..but I hope that is somehwat useful..

BigBear

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 am

I find it fascinating that you guys feel you are regressing. Is it really regression or has this program raised your expecttations and now you are having trouble reaching them?

Other than the setback I experienced with my hand surgery my playing has improved steadily. The only thing disappointing to me is I still can't remember the songs very well but that may be a function of taking on too many songs!

I don't have any good suggestions other than maybe narrow your focus and keep working on the basics. Good luck guys! I know you'll get back on track soon!! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic