Have you regressed lately??

heyjoe

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:46 am

Hello Eric

Firstly, welcome to Totally Guitars, you've joined a great site.
If you haven't already, we have a " pleae introduce yourself" thread where people go to introduce themselves and tell everyone a bit about themselves, its a great place to get to know people.

I look at learning the correct way to play from 2 sides, if you've been playing guiytar a long time, then it can be awkward to make changes to grip, posture etc because you are entrenched and vell practised at what you do. I'm un-learning and re-learning a number of things at the moment, its awkward, but I know it'll make me a better player in the future.

As a beginner to guitar, learning the correct posture, hand/finger positions is just as important. Will it be easier/harder for a beginner than someone who has played for a longer time and has more experience? In my opinion, there are positives and negatives for both, beginners don't have any bad habits to unlearn, long time players already have muscle memory, experience, knowledge.

That said, after watching and listening to Neil, I realise that learning to do the basics properly, no matter what level of playing/experience you are at, is quite possibly the most important lesson anyone can learn.

Before you can build anything, you must have firm foundations.

Hope this helps. Good luck, if you need any help, we're all here for you.

Joe

Music Junkie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 am

Simply stated, I was never good enough to regress........................

I find that working on my G chord is a bit tougher now though.

B)

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:16 am

Welcome to the forums ericj and enjoy the experience!
No matter where you are on your playing, Neil is the right teacher, as you will no doubt find out. I don't feel that Neil lays down rules as much as he sets out better ways of doing things... which may seem hard at first but he'll give you 101 reasons why it's a good idea. I'm using a mix of what I already can do with the newly learned skills Neil is showing me. I'm not bothered about getting it "right" just interested in what works better and sounds better. Neil is usually right about what sounds and works better.

About un-learninmg. For me there is no such thing. And it is not necessary or helpful to look at changing technique as un-learning. Just learn the new thing like writing or painting on a blank piece of paper. The fact that you can do the same thing a different way (disadvantageous technique)is just by the by. Focus on the new and at some point it feels and sounds better than the old. If its all new, well your sheet is already nice and blank. Use blank sheets in your mind's eye and it eases the way and make it clearer.
"Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules." GL
WHo is GL Eric? I was thinking Gordon Lightfoot but then I found the lyrics in something by King Crimson
Chris

ericj

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks for the welcolmes and encouragement!
Chris, right about King Crimson, Epitaph the song
I believe the lyric is Greg Lakes, there's a chessnut.

eric

BigBear

Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:35 pm

ericj wrote:
Hi, Just joined target yesterday, interesting topic, Im sure it doent apply to me

I put the guitar down 20 years ago when I couldnt strum and sing Lucky Man correctly
This week I decided I wanted to learn how to play.

Being said, do you guy's feel that an absolute beginner will benefit more or have an easier time learning(Neil's way) do to the fact that there is nothing to un-learn

"Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules." GL

eric
Hey Eric, big welcome to the program! We're glad to have you with us. You've joined an amazing site!

There is no question that you will benefit more from this program as an absolute beginner than if you are one of us old-timers with all our bad habits. Just pay particular attention to Neil's fundamentals. Plus watching the member videos is a big help to see what others are doing.

When you get frustrated, and you will, just post to this forum and you'll get more help than you can possibly use. Some of it might even be useful!! LOL!

Take care and have fun!! Cheers! :cheer:

tovo

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi Eric and a big welcome from Oz, hope you have a blast. In my opinion nothing in the world takes the place of persistence, whether you need to learn from scratch or change some bad habits, the determination never to let frustration get the better of you is in my opinion the most important trait you can possess when learning anything.

Now where do I find that smiley face icon??!....damn I give up.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:23 pm

...just type in an : and a - and ) and you will get this Mate: ;-).
Good on ya!

Chasplaya

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:40 am

heyjoe wrote:
I've read all the posts on here, and agree with a lot of what has been said- muscle memory, knowledge etc etc it all helps become a better player.

I'm wondering though, the title of the topic...regressing, its such a negative word. I'm not having a go at the title, but doesn't using such a negative word have a negative effect?

All I'm trying to say..and I'm having a hard time saying it ( can you tell?), is why not think of it as re-evaluating what you have done before. Someone famous once said that you learn from your mistakes- which is a good point- however I prefer the story of the scientist who had been looking for a formula to cure a disease, when he finally found it and was being interviewed, he was asked " It took you 201 attempts to find the cure, did doing the experiments 200 times without getting the right result dishearten you?" His reply was " No, I just learned how not to do it right 200 times".

So even when we're doing things "wrong" its still useful information. My own example of this is, as you've all seen from my videos, I have the baseball bat grip..approx 30 years of playing and now I know its wrong. I'm fixing it, and its hard, but I know that all the knowledge I have from 30 years of playing will serve me well in the changes I'm making, I'd much rather be in my position than someone who is coming to the guitar for the first time. My experiences will make it easier for me to change, as long as I'm in the right mindset.

To those of you who are re-evaluating, and may be seeing the negative sides at the moment, take a moment to think about what you've accomplished on the guitar over the years you have been playing, the songs you've learned, they styles you can play etc etc, now think of the changes you are making, think of all the changes you have made in the past, suddenly the new changes don't seem so big..that's my perspective on the changes.

Thanks

Joe
I used the word 'regressing' on purpose to garner interest as I've stated in my second post, playing 'Devils Advocate' really as its an issue as a Trainer I am aware of and thought some healthy discussion would air it and as it seems to be answering itself also maybe hopefully resolving it for others. Sonme good points have come out don't think of unlearning, think new think blank paper as Chris pointed out, also think improving an already existing framework and its adapting to improve. Also with adults don't be to proud to admit there is a better way!!

heyjoe

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:17 am

chasplaya wrote
I used the word 'regressing' on purpose to garner interest as I've stated in my second post, playing 'Devils Advocate' really as its an issue as a Trainer I am aware of and thought some healthy discussion would air it and as it seems to be answering itself also maybe hopefully resolving it for others. Sonme good points have come out don't think of unlearning, think new think blank paper as Chris pointed out, also think improving an already existing framework and its adapting to improve. Also with adults don't be to proud to admit there is a better way!!
Understand where you're coming from Chas, what I suppose I was trying to say is that it's all about perception, and how different words, even though they in essence mean the same thing, have negative or positive connotations, and even unconsciously, that can affect people in different ways. I know it's probably splitting hairs, but it interests me how it effects people in different ways.

Very interesting topic, and by the looks of it, relevant to many of us on this site.

Thanks

Joe

neverfoundthetime

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:35 am

Understand where you're coming from Chas, what I suppose I was trying to say is that it's all about perception, and how different words, even though they in essence mean the same thing, have negative or positive connotations, and even unconsciously, that can affect people in different ways. I know it's probably splitting hairs, but it interests me how it effects people in different ways.
Very interesting topic, and by the looks of it, relevant to many of us on this site.
Thanks
Joe
Hey Joe, you make a great point about perceptions. I picked up on it and commented. There are helpful ways and unhelpful ways of looking at the same thing. One way will help you another will hinder you. You get to choose which way you look at it though (Randy Pausch: are you Tiger or are you Eyaw?). And you get to be right which ever way you choose! What you think is what you get! (you heard it here at TG first! ;-))

And you are so right about the words you choose:
Words can be
Positive or negative
Strong or weak
Active or passive

It is simply more helpful for you if you decide to use POSITIVE, STRONG and ACTIVE words in your thinking or speaking/writing than any of the alternatives. This is basic mental toughness for sports people and I reckon it's good for guitar players and anyone else too!
Good points indeed, my friend!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic